The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

In our 8U tournament championship this weekend, I had the oddest game of the season.

One runner interference - Runner on 2nd crashed into F6 trying to catch a popup. First INT call all year.

TWO obstruction calls - one for F3 standing in the baseline while F1 was chasing BR, BR had to go around her; one for F5 and F7 both being between R1 (started on 2nd) and third base, while F6 chased her to third and tagged her. R1 actually ran into and was slowed by both fielder. First OBS calls of the year.

Bases loaded, 2 outs. Batter slugs one that lands and rests on the plate as I point fair. BR stands there. R1 scores. R2 scores. R3 scores. Parents screaming their heads off. F1 finally gets the ball and heads to the circle. Parents still screaming. BR finally takes off for first, F1 sees her and starts chasing her... and chasing her... and chasing her. BR scored!

Crazy Crazy stuff.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Just gotta love those 8U girls!!! So much fun to watch....parents are even more enjoyable sometimes!!
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

99% of the parents are great at this age (wonder what morphs them into the monsters that watch 12U, 14U, JV, Varsity ball?).

The 1% for this weekend was an old codger (70s at least). His most absurd yelling came from me not calling strikes from behind the plate (No strikes to be called at 8U!!! - Working solo we stand about 5 steps toward first) Every time coach threw a pitch that was likely a strike, but not swung at, this old guy would yell something like, "See! You'd have seen that if you were behing the plate!!!" Got called "rookie" by this guy at least 20 times (I'm our League UIC).

Same guy - girl hit a single and was barely not out at first. She rounded the base and took about 6 steps toward 2nd - F3 started to chase her, and coach yelled at her to get back. She was tagged. I HATED calling her out, but she was out. Old codger yelled at me for an inning that since she stopped her progress toward 2nd base, she had no longer "made an effort to advance", and couldn't be called out. Fun guy.
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Talking

LMBO!! Too funny!! Yeah, we parents tend to go nuts after 8U ball..... I bet my blood pressure is 200/100 right about now trying to figure out what last night was all about. Think I'll go watch the 8u girls this weekend and leave the 12U to someone else for once lol.