The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:15am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Picture this. Had a game a couple of years ago in our 9-10 league. There was a 10 year old kid who was a real stud in the post playing on 8 1/2 foot goals. Other team ran 2 or 3 at him every time he caught it in there, but had little success stopping him. This is a game with 5 minute quarters and a running clock and 2 or 3 guys fouled out. Yet, somehow, the game still managed to end in a tie. The big kid's coach complained later that we didn't call enough fouls. He said that there should have been several multiple fouls called. This is a guy coaching his 9 year old son who had formerly coached at every level up to small college. I asked how many multiples he had seen called at any level. No answer.
This has me wondering if this might be the right time for those calls. When a young team is playing hack-a-shaq all game. Give out one or two multiples and it'll clean up real quick.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
First half, fouls were V 1, H 8. The one came with about a minute-and-a-half left. After I noticed it was 7-0, I was aware that it would probably be good to find one soon, but there just wasn't anything there.
Sad thought process. Are there any other things you do to even out a game?
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 04:41pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
This has me wondering if this might be the right time for those calls. When a young team is playing hack-a-shaq all game. Give out one or two multiples and it'll clean up real quick.
It could be. This was what I was trying to say. There are many reasons we might need to make an adjustment, but a lopsided foul count, in and of itself, is not one of them.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Be aware of the foul count and if there's a lopsided count be satisfied that the crew is being consistent and there's a good reason for the lopsided foul count. If you think there isn't a good reason then adjust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Agree....At the very least, you should mentally review the calls made to satisfy yourself that you're calling the same plays the same way for each team and, going forward, that you call a foul on the team with no fouls when they do something similar to the fouls you have already called.
So you're saying:

A lop-sided foul count should trigger some thought. Are we calling the same contact at both ends, if it's there? Are we missing something? Adjustments should be made, if necessary, in response to those questions, and not just the foul count.

This makes sense. Is there something that should trigger the same thought process if the foul count ISN'T lopsided?

Last edited by rainmaker; Sat Dec 22, 2007 at 05:25pm.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 07:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
So you're saying:

A lop-sided foul count should trigger some thought. Are we calling the same contact at both ends, if it's there? Are we missing something? Adjustments should be made, if necessary, in response to those questions, and not just the foul count.
The only time that you make adjustments is if you haven't been consistent in calling contact. You need to adjust so that you are maintaining your consistency. That's what they're telling you. And that's exactly what Tony, Daryl and myself, amongst others, have been saying also.

If you're consistent, the foul count is a non-factor in the game.

Iow, you do not look to call any borderline contact fouls just because of a disparate foul count if borderline contact hasn't been previously called.