The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Help on Call

A1 and B2 go for a rebound. In the attempt to get the ball B@ falls to the floor behind A1's legs. A1 possesses the ball while standing, then trips over B2 while holding the ball, falling to the floor while in possession of the ball. What is the correct call by rule? Blocking foul on B@?????
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

FED: Travel by A1

NCAA: Block by B2
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

rule

Where is this explained in the rule book?
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by db
Rule 4-44-5a.
Case 4.44.5a & b may apply.
That being referenced if I see original player who was on floor roll up on rebounders leg I'll call a block as they encroached on rebounders vertical space. But as I understand from original post there was no such action.
Therefore traveling.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 12:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by db
In the NCAA book, it's laid out to be a foul on B2. There used to be a specific NFHS case play on this, but it has been removed from the book. The rationale for not calling a foul under FED rules was that every player was allowed a legal spot on the court, and B2 laying on the floor had established his legal spot.

NFHS rule 4-23-1--"Every player is entitled to a spot on the playing court provided such player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent."
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 12:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Thumbs up

Glad i'm back on the boards. I forgot there was a difference between NCAA and Fed on this ruling.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 01:14pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Glad i'm back on the boards. I forgot there was a difference between NCAA and Fed on this ruling.
where have you been big fella?
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 01:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
where have you been big fella?
Firewall at work shut down access to this site. Usually by the time I get on the computer at home it's late at night and I'm too tired to engage my brain.

I did do a game with Ernest a few weeks ago. I got a nice lecture on bench decorum enforcement after the game from our boss.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 01:50pm
Huck Finn

Yeah, I miss being up there. Here is what I don't miss: last night my game was about four minutes from my house and I rolled down the windows on my way there and back.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 04:20pm
Administrator

Bob and JR:

I think I know my NCAA Rules pretty well, but I do not remember seeing where this is a blocking foul on B2. The definitions for guarding, screening, block, charge, and legal positions on the floor are the same in both the NFHS and NCAA rule books. Please help me out here. I am at our son's first H.S. swim meet of the season and I do not have my rules books with me. Thanks.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Bob and JR:

I think I know my NCAA Rules pretty well, but I do not remember seeing where this is a blocking foul on B2. The definitions for guarding, screening, block, charge, and legal positions on the floor are the same in both the NFHS and NCAA rule books. Please help me out here. I am at our son's first H.S. swim meet of the season and I do not have my rules books with me. Thanks.

MTD, Sr.
It's in one of the ARs.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 11:49pm
PYRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Bob and JR:

MTD, Sr.
Mark,
When I get home to my books I will find it for you but I remember reading that this is a blocking foul in NCAA. The reasoning is that lying on the floor is not a legal guarding position, and frankly, I think the Fed ruling should be the same. Calling a guy for traveling because he trips over someone on the floor is a pretty crappy call.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 12:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
Mark,
When I get home to my books I will find it for you but I remember reading that this is a blocking foul in NCAA. The reasoning is that lying on the floor is not a legal guarding position, and frankly, I think the Fed ruling should be the same. Calling a guy for traveling because he trips over someone on the floor is a pretty crappy call.
Legal guarding position isn't required when you're stationary. I think the reasoning had to do with normal standing position, but I'm not sure. If it was LGP, then that's a pretty crappy reasoning.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Guarding: B1 slips to the floor in the free-throw lane. A1 (with his or her back to prone B1) receives a pass, turns and, in his or her attempt to drive to the basket, trips and falls over B1. RULING: Foulon B1, who has taken an illegal defensive position (NCAA memorandum January 23, 1996, page 3).

That is what became 4-33-4a AR 91 in the new NCAA casebook with a tiny wording change.

http://www1.ncaa.org/eprise/main/pla...PreviewState=0