The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 766
2-Person Mechanics Question

I worked my first 2-person in a while and was told there was a mechanics change last year. Now, I'm the new guy in town and don't know if they are just screwing with the new guy. Situation was he was T table side and had a violation where ball would be taken out on his sideline table-side. I came over from my position as lead opposit to inbound (bump and run). He told me there was a mechanic change that the association/assignors were emphasizing that says when it is his line, his call, going the other way, they stay and make the switch. It makes no sense that I can see and I told him so and he was adamant about the change, even after the game. We had another situation later in the second half where there was a b/c violation and I bumped him again and he reitterrated his objection to my bump. I either fell for the new guy trick or I fail to see the logic behind this. Anyone?

Mregor
__________________
Some people are like Slinkies...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,243
If the violation was in the BC, then the old-L administers the throw-in -- akak "bump-and-run" (with the caveat that different areas do it differently).
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Swampeast Missouri
Posts: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to refman1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor
I worked my first 2-person in a while and was told there was a mechanics change last year. Now, I'm the new guy in town and don't know if they are just screwing with the new guy. Situation was he was T table side and had a violation where ball would be taken out on his sideline table-side. I came over from my position as lead opposit to inbound (bump and run). He told me there was a mechanic change that the association/assignors were emphasizing that says when it is his line, his call, going the other way, they stay and make the switch. It makes no sense that I can see and I told him so and he was adamant about the change, even after the game. We had another situation later in the second half where there was a b/c violation and I bumped him again and he reitterrated his objection to my bump. I either fell for the new guy trick or I fail to see the logic behind this. Anyone?

Mregor
I work as much 2-man as I do 3-man and we bump and run all the time around here. I'd have to get out my 06-07 books to be sure but I don't believe there was a change in that mechanic then and I'm sure that is not a change for 07-08. I'd say you were being messed with.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
If the violation was in the BC, then the old-L administers the throw-in -- akak "bump-and-run" (with the caveat that different areas do it differently).
It was f/c at the time, he was T. Traveling. What difference if it was f/c or b/c?
__________________
Some people are like Slinkies...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 486
We bump and run here on that...Kinda dumb to force a L to L at the other end...
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 05:29pm
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Houghton, U.P., Michigan
Posts: 9,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
We bump and run here on that...Kinda dumb to force a L to L at the other end...
And then there's the run-and-bump, where you pull your partner to the spot cuz you're already gone.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
And then there's the run-and-bump, where you pull your partner to the spot cuz you're already gone.
LOL! I like that...
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor
It was f/c at the time, he was T. Traveling. What difference if it was f/c or b/c?
Let me (try to) be clearer. If the team getting the ball is inbounding adjacent to their BC, then bump-and-run.

If the team getting the ball is inbounding adjacent to their FC, the the official responsible for the line administers the throw-in.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 07:43pm
Ralph
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor
I worked my first 2-person in a while and was told there was a mechanics change last year. Now, I'm the new guy in town and don't know if they are just screwing with the new guy. Situation was he was T table side and had a violation where ball would be taken out on his sideline table-side. I came over from my position as lead opposit to inbound (bump and run). He told me there was a mechanic change that the association/assignors were emphasizing that says when it is his line, his call, going the other way, they stay and make the switch. It makes no sense that I can see and I told him so and he was adamant about the change, even after the game. We had another situation later in the second half where there was a b/c violation and I bumped him again and he reitterrated his objection to my bump. I either fell for the new guy trick or I fail to see the logic behind this. Anyone?

Mregor
Wrong. Plus it's just not nice to make your partner run the length of the court.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Let me (try to) be clearer. If the team getting the ball is inbounding adjacent to their BC, then bump-and-run.

If the team getting the ball is inbounding adjacent to their FC, the the official responsible for the line administers the throw-in.
Thanks for the reply Bob. Why the difference? 2 situations. #1 Ball and all players in FC, officials in proper positions. Guard A1 out top at D/L is trapped and in the confusion, commits illegal dribble. T calls it. Since the ball is going the other way, it's now B throw in in their b/c. Bump and run. Situation #2, same exact scenario but player A1 now steps over the D/L resulting in a B/C violation. Since the throw in will be in B's F/C, T stays T and forces Lead to switch and run 90 feet to be new Lead. Makes no sense to me.

Mregor
__________________
Some people are like Slinkies...
Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor
Thanks for the reply Bob. Why the difference? 2 situations. #1 Ball and all players in FC, officials in proper positions. Guard A1 out top at D/L is trapped and in the confusion, commits illegal dribble. T calls it. Since the ball is going the other way, it's now B throw in in their b/c. Bump and run. Situation #2, same exact scenario but player A1 now steps over the D/L resulting in a B/C violation. Since the throw in will be in B's F/C, T stays T and forces Lead to switch and run 90 feet to be new Lead. Makes no sense to me.

Mregor
No difference. Thanks (seriously) for pointing out the error in my phrasing.

Maybe:

If the ball "changes directions" AND has been in the FC, bump-and run. Otherwise, the officia responsible for the boundary line administers teh throw-in.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3-Person Mechanics RookieDude Basketball 11 Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:32pm
ASA 2-Person Slow Pitch Mechanics Question HawkeyeCubP Softball 4 Fri May 19, 2006 11:31am
ASA 2-Person Slow Pitch Mechanics Question 2 HawkeyeCubP Softball 2 Fri May 19, 2006 01:07am
3 person mechanics Ralph Stubenthal Basketball 22 Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:03am
3-person mechanics bugman Basketball 2 Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:32am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1