The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

How to proceed?

3 Min into game. White fouls Red. Whistle, call foul signal, go to report. Reach table report Red 15, Push, OOB. Turn to where partner is ready to inbound ball for Red, horn sounds, book say there is no 15 white. Everybody in the Gym knows White fouled red. I had reported the player who had been fouled not the the player who committed the foul. Both partners approached, told them what I had done, neither of them knew the number of the White player who had committed the foul.

What is the "correct" way to proceed? I thought somewhere I had read to how to "move on" and implemented it. But I have not been able to find the reference I "thought" I had previously read.

I instructed the bookkeeper to record 1 team foul to "White", not record it to any specific player, and administered a TI for red. Since I was table side the White coach ask for explanation, I gave it, he accepted it. He said, "so one of my players gets 6 fouls tonight? "Yep, do you know which one?" He schruggs his shoulders, BIG smile, game goes on without a hitch.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Did you ask the table? They would usually (but not always) know.

IF not, it's a 2-3 situation.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach
3 Min into game. White fouls Red. Whistle, call foul signal, go to report. Reach table report Red 15, Push, OOB. Turn to where partner is ready to inbound ball for Red, horn sounds, book say there is no 15 white. Everybody in the Gym knows White fouled red. I had reported the player who had been fouled not the the player who committed the foul. Both partners approached, told them what I had done, neither of them knew the number of the White player who had committed the foul.

What is the "correct" way to proceed? I thought somewhere I had read to how to "move on" and implemented it. But I have not been able to find the reference I "thought" I had previously read.

I instructed the bookkeeper to record 1 team foul to "White", not record it to any specific player, and administered a TI for red. Since I was table side the White coach ask for explanation, I gave it, he accepted it. He said, "so one of my players gets 6 fouls tonight? "Yep, do you know which one?" He shruggs his shoulders, BIG smile, game goes on without a hitch.
You did fine. Sometimes you can ask the players if someone will admit to it. But if they don't, there's not much to do besides just get on with the game.

To prevent it next time, vocalize who the foul was on at the spot. Do it under your breath if your assignor doesn't want you to do it out loud. -- some do and some dont. Once you've said it to yourself once, it's easier to get it right at the table.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Ask the kids. They will usually come up with a number. What is a TI? (never mind, the throw in ?)

Last edited by Mregor; Sat Dec 08, 2007 at 04:33pm.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Did ask table, no help. Right after partners were unable to offer help, I did ask red 15, if he knew who fouled him? No. 1 asked white who was fouled red 15? No answer. So rather than hold up game any longer I took my described course of action.

Thanks for the replies.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

This happened to me in my first Varsity state tournament game and I can remember it happened one other time before, during a pretty good rival game. In the latter, I gave it to the nearest player to the foul, big mistake. It was their star player, which I didn't know, nor did I felt I needed to know. Anyways, he said he wasn't even in the play, and the coach was on my butt, partners couldn't help, so I started to stick to the call until, to my shock, the opposing coach, who was right in front of the play, said the foul was on the correct person. I felt like crap, and looked like 10 tons of crap on that floor.