The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

3-Person Mechanics

Diagram 61 in the 2005-07 NFHS Officials Manual shows...

FOUL IN BACKCOURT, BALL GOES LONG
LEAD CALLS FOUL WITHOUT FREE THROW

Opposite side Lead calls and reports foul, goes back to administer throw-in and becomes new Trail. Center remains Center. Trail becomes new Lead.

(Some call this a V-back)

What are the 3-person mechanics for a foul in FRONTCOURT, with the Opposite side Lead calling, and the ball going "long" the other way?
Richland, WA
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Tableside

In the frontcourt, you always report and stay tableside. You will either be C or T, depending on where the ball is coming in.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 05:17pm
Esteemed Participant

It's the same as your other situation rookiedude...no long switches...report it and go back to administer the throw-in and become the new T...the only reason you would switch is if there are free throws or if you are staying at that end of the court.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
It's the same as your other situation rookiedude...no long switches...report it and go back to administer the throw-in and become the new T...the only reason you would switch is if there are free throws or if you are staying at that end of the court.
Yes Rocky, and the mechanic you speak of is how we did it around here last year.
But...and I'm glad you responded, being from WA...check out Larry Johnson's 3-person training slide show. (Approved by the WIAA/WOA). Slide 42 seems to show something completly different. It shows the L going table side and "switching" with the C...going long.

you can go to www.tricitysoa.com and click on three-person training.

Might be an error...this slide show was made a few years ago, and a requirement for officials going to State.

Thanks for the clarification and the validation.
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Tue Nov 14, 2006 at 07:06pm.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2006, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

I'm still not a big fan of this "no long switches" deal. I guess in some cases it makes sense, but where a lead calls a player control foul, for instance, the old C could get everything set up for a throw in by the time L reports the foul. The calling official then becomes the C and by the time he turns around, we can put the ball into play.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 03:05pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
Yes Rocky, and the mechanic you speak of is how we did it around here last year.
But...and I'm glad you responded, being from WA...check out Larry Johnson's 3-person training slide show. (Approved by the WIAA/WOA). Slide 42 seems to show something completly different. It shows the L going table side and "switching" with the C...going long.

you can go to www.tricitysoa.com and click on three-person training.

Might be an error...this slide show was made a few years ago, and a requirement for officials going to State.

Thanks for the clarification and the validation.
LJ has been an interpreter/presenter for years, but he still makes mistakes! I love LJ and worked some state championship games with him, so don't get me wrong - I'm not bashing him...BUT...we had this discussion at a WOA camp in Battle Ground last summer - he showed that slide show then also and we discussed that slide and he agreed that it should be a long switch situation and we should v-back (to throw those WA terms in there)...
Old Wed Nov 15, 2006, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
LJ has been an interpreter/presenter for years, but he still makes mistakes! I love LJ and worked some state championship games with him, so don't get me wrong - I'm not bashing him...BUT...we had this discussion at a WOA camp in Battle Ground last summer - he showed that slide show then also and we discussed that slide and he agreed that it should be a long switch situation and we should v-back (to throw those WA terms in there)...
Thanks rocky...I was just reviewing some training material we have on our site, and wanted to make sure we are all on the same page. It seems to me we discussed this slide a couple years ago at the State Clinic with TS...but, couldn't remember for sure. Anyway, thanks...if I do decide to go to a State Tourney this year...It's always nice to "practice what they preach", regarding mechanics, for the whole year...not just at State.

BTW...do you think you will be going this year?
Richland, WA
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 10:44am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
BTW...do you think you will be going this year?
I only do 5-8 HS games per season the last few years, so I won't be going...however, that could change for next year...getting really tired of all the long, late drives I have to do!!!
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 11:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
however, that could change for next year...getting really tired of all the long, late drives I have to do!!!
Hmmmmmm......

That's kinda surprising. I'd have guessed that you would probably have been taking short trips.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 11:36am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Hmmmmmm......

That's kinda surprising. I'd have guessed that you would probably have been taking short trips.
I don't get it...

That has become my mantra...damn that Chuck for bailing on me and leaving me on the short end of all these jokes!!
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 11:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I don't get it...
Hmmmmm again.

It must have went right over your head, I guess.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2006, 12:32pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Hmmmmm again.

It must have went right over your head, I guess.

Huh???? (I hate Chuck)