The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

2-Person Mechanics Question

I worked my first 2-person in a while and was told there was a mechanics change last year. Now, I'm the new guy in town and don't know if they are just screwing with the new guy. Situation was he was T table side and had a violation where ball would be taken out on his sideline table-side. I came over from my position as lead opposit to inbound (bump and run). He told me there was a mechanic change that the association/assignors were emphasizing that says when it is his line, his call, going the other way, they stay and make the switch. It makes no sense that I can see and I told him so and he was adamant about the change, even after the game. We had another situation later in the second half where there was a b/c violation and I bumped him again and he reitterrated his objection to my bump. I either fell for the new guy trick or I fail to see the logic behind this. Anyone?

Mregor
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

If the violation was in the BC, then the old-L administers the throw-in -- akak "bump-and-run" (with the caveat that different areas do it differently).
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to refman1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor
I worked my first 2-person in a while and was told there was a mechanics change last year. Now, I'm the new guy in town and don't know if they are just screwing with the new guy. Situation was he was T table side and had a violation where ball would be taken out on his sideline table-side. I came over from my position as lead opposit to inbound (bump and run). He told me there was a mechanic change that the association/assignors were emphasizing that says when it is his line, his call, going the other way, they stay and make the switch. It makes no sense that I can see and I told him so and he was adamant about the change, even after the game. We had another situation later in the second half where there was a b/c violation and I bumped him again and he reitterrated his objection to my bump. I either fell for the new guy trick or I fail to see the logic behind this. Anyone?

Mregor
I work as much 2-man as I do 3-man and we bump and run all the time around here. I'd have to get out my 06-07 books to be sure but I don't believe there was a change in that mechanic then and I'm sure that is not a change for 07-08. I'd say you were being messed with.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
If the violation was in the BC, then the old-L administers the throw-in -- akak "bump-and-run" (with the caveat that different areas do it differently).
It was f/c at the time, he was T. Traveling. What difference if it was f/c or b/c?
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

We bump and run here on that...Kinda dumb to force a L to L at the other end...
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 05:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
We bump and run here on that...Kinda dumb to force a L to L at the other end...
And then there's the run-and-bump, where you pull your partner to the spot cuz you're already gone.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
And then there's the run-and-bump, where you pull your partner to the spot cuz you're already gone.
LOL! I like that...
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was f/c at the time, he was T. Traveling. What difference if it was f/c or b/c?
Let me (try to) be clearer. If the team getting the ball is inbounding adjacent to their BC, then bump-and-run.

If the team getting the ball is inbounding adjacent to their FC, the the official responsible for the line administers the throw-in.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 07:43pm
Ralph

Quote:

Mregor
Wrong. Plus it's just not nice to make your partner run the length of the court.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Let me (try to) be clearer. If the team getting the ball is inbounding adjacent to their BC, then bump-and-run.

If the team getting the ball is inbounding adjacent to their FC, the the official responsible for the line administers the throw-in.
Thanks for the reply Bob. Why the difference? 2 situations. #1 Ball and all players in FC, officials in proper positions. Guard A1 out top at D/L is trapped and in the confusion, commits illegal dribble. T calls it. Since the ball is going the other way, it's now B throw in in their b/c. Bump and run. Situation #2, same exact scenario but player A1 now steps over the D/L resulting in a B/C violation. Since the throw in will be in B's F/C, T stays T and forces Lead to switch and run 90 feet to be new Lead. Makes no sense to me.

Mregor
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Bob. Why the difference? 2 situations. #1 Ball and all players in FC, officials in proper positions. Guard A1 out top at D/L is trapped and in the confusion, commits illegal dribble. T calls it. Since the ball is going the other way, it's now B throw in in their b/c. Bump and run. Situation #2, same exact scenario but player A1 now steps over the D/L resulting in a B/C violation. Since the throw in will be in B's F/C, T stays T and forces Lead to switch and run 90 feet to be new Lead. Makes no sense to me.

Mregor
No difference. Thanks (seriously) for pointing out the error in my phrasing.

Maybe:

If the ball "changes directions" AND has been in the FC, bump-and run. Otherwise, the officia responsible for the boundary line administers teh throw-in.