The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question U mayk da cawl

NF rules. A1 shooting a 3 pointer. While in the air but before the release, he is fouled by B1. After the release, but before returning to the floor, A1 is also fouled by B2. While the shot is in the air, A2 fouls B3. The ball, while traveling toward the hoop but not yet in the cylinder, is touched by A3. Also before the ball is in the cylinder, B4 grabs the rim and snaps it. The ball goes in. Immediately, Coach B yells out a profanity at you personally and when you turn your head, you discover A4 and B4 are both wearing illegal jerseys and Coach A is out of the box punching Coach B. What's the call(s)?

OK - it sounds silly and it would never happen (probably) but it's a good exercise in knowing and applying rules. Any takers?
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
NF rules. A1 shooting a 3 pointer. While in the air but before the release, he is fouled by B1. After the release, but before returning to the floor, A1 is also fouled by B2. While the shot is in the air, A2 fouls B3. The ball, while traveling toward the hoop but not yet in the cylinder, is touched by A3. Also before the ball is in the cylinder, B4 grabs the rim and snaps it. The ball goes in. Immediately, Coach B yells out a profanity at you personally and when you turn your head, you discover A4 and B4 are both wearing illegal jerseys and Coach A is out of the box punching Coach B. What's the call(s)?

OK - it sounds silly and it would never happen (probably) but it's a good exercise in knowing and applying rules. Any takers?
My call is: Oh, no a clock error!! THere will be a suspended game with both teams going to their locker rooms while we tear the clock down off the wall and fix it. Meantime, some other refs will be called in to finish the game, since I have to hurry off to see my kid get his Nobel Prize.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Did A3 touch the ball before or after it reached the top of its arc? It's very critical to the discussion...
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Reminds me of the last time I worked with Chuck at camp a couple of years ago. His call then was for the crew to go have lunch and let A & B figure it out for themselves. He must have impressed someone with it...
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'll give it a go, just for fun:

If A3 inadvertantly touches prior to the top of the arc:

The three-point try is successful.
A1 shoots 2 FTs (lane cleared) - one for each of the multiple fouls.
If B is in the bonus, B3 gets a one-and-one or two shots if the double bonus (lane cleared).
Technical foul on B4 for grabbing the rim. A shoots two free throws.
Direct technical foul on Coach B for the profanity. A shoots two free throws.
Flagrant technical on Coach A, ejected. B shoots two free throws, and gets the ball at the division line.

If A3 touches intentionally or after the ball has reached the top of its arc:

Disallow the 3-point basket
A1 shoots 4 FTs - two for each of the multiple fouls.
The remainder of the infractions are penalized as above.

Oh, and the illegal jerseys cannot be penalized until A4 and/or B4 leave and re-enter the game.

What did I miss?
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Tell each coach "Thank you" and play on.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Assess a foul to B1, B2, and A2. Basket does not count because A2's offensive foul immediately ends the try, which also makes A3 and B4's actions null. Technical fouls on Coach B (profanity), A4 and B4 (illegal jerseys), and Coach A (out of the box). Coach A and Coach B are also disqualified from game (fighting). Four free throws to each team with Team B getting the ball for inbounds at half court. While my partner sits in the corner sobbing like a lost school girl.

You may now proceed with correcting me.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiogima
Assess a foul to B1, B2, and A2. Basket does not count because A2's offensive foul immediately ends the try, which also makes A3 and B4's actions null. Technical fouls on Coach B (profanity), A4 and B4 (illegal jerseys), and Coach A (out of the box). Coach A and Coach B are also disqualified from game (fighting). Four free throws to each team with Team B getting the ball for inbounds at half court. While my partner sits in the corner sobbing like a lost school girl.

You may now proceed with correcting me.
You've got a couple of small errors in here, but the big one is reading any thread that Padgett starts. That's enough to get you thrown out of your association for life!
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:35pm
Administrator

Quote:

Mark:

Are you off your meds again?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

A2's foul does not end the try. A4 and B4 cannot be penalized for illegal jerseys because the ball became live after they were in the game. I won't disqualify Coach B, if he's just gettin punched on. If he's fighting back, then I'll have to.

At least, that's what I think...
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

You are right about the jerseys, I missed that one.

I think the same rules apply to a coach that apply to a player. If two players are fighting even if we see only one punch thrown, both players are to be disqualified. It doesn't matter who started it or even if the other player was fighting back, both are disqualified.

I wasn't entirely sure on wether or not an offensive foul immediately ends a try, I had a fifty-fifty shot on that one and I went with the least amount of work. I guess I'll have to go back and study the rule book.

Good review for when the HS season starts.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Mark Padgett]NF rules. A1 shooting a 3 pointer. While in the air but before the release, he is fouled by B1. After the release, but before returning to the floor, A1 is also fouled by B2. While the shot is in the air, A2 fouls B3. The ball, while traveling toward the hoop but not yet in the cylinder, is touched by A3. Also before the ball is in the cylinder, B4 grabs the rim and snaps it. The ball goes in. Immediately, Coach B yells out a profanity at you personally and when you turn your head, Immediately, Coach B yells out a profanity at you personally and when you turn your head and Coach A is out of the box punching Coach B. What's the call(s)?

A1 shooting a 3 pointer. While in the air but before the release, he is fouled by B1. After the release, but before returning to the floor, A1 is also fouled by B2. [B](False Multiple Foul)[/B] penalize accordingly.

While the shot is in the air, A2 fouls B3. Common Foul ball is still live

The ball, while traveling toward the hoop but not yet in the cylinder, is touched by A3. The three attempt turns into a two unless A3 is behind the three point line.
Also before the ball is in the cylinder, B4 grabs the rim and snaps it. The ball goes in. Technical foul; score the basket for BI two points Team A shoots two for grasping of the rim
Immediately, Coach B yells out a profanity at you personally and when you turn your head. Unsporting Technical Two shoots for Team B

you discover A4 and B4 are both wearing illegal jerseys. Team A will shot 2 for the illegal jersey; Team B will shoot 2 for the illegal jersey.
and Coach A is out of the box punching Coach B. Double flagrant technical with both coaches being ejected for fighting. No free throws; Two free throws for team b for coach A being out of the box

So, I have team a shooting 4 free throws for team B be infractions;
I have team B shooting 6 free throws for team A infractions.

I have A-1 shooting 2 free throws for the foul committed by B1 because of the touching of the ball by A3; shooting 2 for the foul by B2 before returning to the floor fouling an airbourne shooter.

B's ball at division line for throw-in.

I have nothing else better to do so this is my call.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Since I have nothing better to do, I'll give you my thoughts on your call:
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
A1 shooting a 3 pointer. While in the air but before the release, he is fouled by B1. After the release, but before returning to the floor, A1 is also fouled by B2. [B](False Multiple Foul)[/B] penalize accordingly.I don't see this as false. Two fouls on an airborne shooter constitute "approximately the same time" in my opinion.

While the shot is in the air, A2 fouls B3. Common Foul ball is still live

The ball, while traveling toward the hoop but not yet in the cylinder, is touched by A3. The three attempt turns into a two unless A3 is behind the three point line.Good catch. I argue it matters a lot whether the touching was intentional and/or while on the way down, as either would end the try and disallow the basket.

Also before the ball is in the cylinder, B4 grabs the rim and snaps it. The ball goes in. Technical foul; score the basket for BI two points

Team A shoots two for grasping of the rim

Immediately, Coach B yells out a profanity at you personally and when you turn your head. Unsporting Technical Two shoots for Team BGuessing you mean Team A here, as the T was on B.

you discover A4 and B4 are both wearing illegal jerseys. Team A will shot 2 for the illegal jersey; Team B will shoot 2 for the illegal jersey. You can't penalize for the illegal jerseys, as you can only penalize when they enter the game (or starters at the beginning of the game).

and Coach A is out of the box punching Coach B. Double flagrant technical with both coaches being ejected for fighting. No free throws; Two free throws for team b for coach A being out of the box I'm only ejecting B if he's actually engaged in the fight.

So, I have team a shooting 4 free throws for team B be infractions;
I have team B shooting 6 free throws for team A infractions.

I have A-1 shooting 2 free throws for the foul committed by B1 because of the touching of the ball by A3; shooting 2 for the foul by B2 before returning to the floor fouling an airbourne shooter. I'm on the multiple foul ruling here, which would give 1, or 2, FTs for each foul based on whether the try was successful or not and whether it was a 3-pointer or not.

B's ball at division line for throw-in.

I have nothing else better to do so this is my call.
Whew.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 02:35pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

It's a DO-OVER!
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
It's a DO-OVER!
Dang it. That's way better than my attempt.

Sorry for the euphemism.

Last edited by jdw3018; Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 02:52pm.