The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
For discussion sake...

So, I'm watching Glory Road last night. In the NCAA Championship game Texas Western plays against Kansas, during a timeout Coach Haskins tells his players to stand near the Kansas team as they are coming out of the timeout. Obviously, he means for this to be an intimidating display or force, so here's the question. You're working this game and you see this happen, obviously we are not in the huddle with Texas Western so we don't know what they are told to do, but we see it happen.

5 Taunting technicals? No call? See no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil? Thoughts?

CLH
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH
So, I'm watching Glory Road last night. In the NCAA Championship game Texas Western plays against Kansas, during a timeout Coach Haskins tells his players to stand near the Kansas team as they are coming out of the timeout. Obviously, he means for this to be an intimidating display or force, so here's the question. You're working this game and you see this happen, obviously we are not in the huddle with Texas Western so we don't know what they are told to do, but we see it happen.

5 Taunting technicals? No call? See no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil? Thoughts?

CLH
Take my advice CLH, retract this question and run! It's not worth it.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

What is illegal about standing near someone's bench? Were the players standing out of bounds or on the floor?

Peace
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Kentucky, not Kansas.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Kentucky, not Kansas.
I believe they played Kansas in the semi-final. Maybe regional final.

Anyway, they did play them at some point in the tournament.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Kentucky, not Kansas.
My bad, I was at a Kansas v. SMU game last week, guess I had them on my mind. Still, noone has really addressed the question.....

I don't know where they stood, I wasn't there, I'm speaking in hypothetical terms here! Coach Haskins tells the players he wants them standing there as the KENTUCKY team comes out of the huddle, "like a wall, like a force" (direct quote from the movie). So, again, KENTUCKY breaks their huddle and young Pat Riley turns around and he's nose to chest with Big Lattin and the other players staring them down. Got anything? Let it happen? Turn and run? Wonder who's gonna play you in the movie?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Oh yeah forgot also...

Rule 4, Section 7, Art. 2
During any timeout or before any extra period, bench personnel and
players shall locate themselves inside an imaginary rectangle formed by the
boundaries of the sideline (including the bench), end line and an imaginary
line extended from the free-throw lane line nearest the bench area meeting
an imaginary line extended from the coaching-box line.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 02:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH
My bad, I was at a Kansas v. SMU game last week, guess I had them on my mind. Still, noone has really addressed the question.....

I don't know where they stood, I wasn't there, I'm speaking in hypothetical terms here! Coach Haskins tells the players he wants them standing there as the KENTUCKY team comes out of the huddle, "like a wall, like a force" (direct quote from the movie). So, again, KENTUCKY breaks their huddle and young Pat Riley turns around and he's nose to chest with Big Lattin and the other players staring them down. Got anything? Let it happen? Turn and run? Wonder who's gonna play you in the movie?
Understand sports movies use dramatic situations to make the story more interesting. There were many things in that game that were not quite accurate to help engulf the audience into the story. If I remember the movie correctly, they were not quite nose to nose. And if as an official they looked at each other, I do not think that would be an issue with me. Someone would have to do something or some contact would have to occur or words would have to be exchanged and that would be a little different. Even then, officiating is not about penalizing every time players interact negatively. Based on what I remember and the way you described the situation, Ts are for when things happen not for when players look at each other and make no contact. Intimidation is not illegal. If that was the case every time someone blocks a shot then we have to call an unsporting T.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Understand sports movies use dramatic situations to make the story more interesting.

Peace

Take Teen Wolf for instance. Scott (the only varsity high school player I have ever seen who jumps when he shoots FT's) is shooting two FT's to win the game, you really gonna let Mick stand under the backboard while he shoots them?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Take Teen Wolf for instance. Scott (the only varsity high school player I have ever seen who jumps when he shoots FT's) is shooting two FT's to win the game, you really gonna let Mick stand under the backboard while he shoots them?
The real questions is whether the two-color headband he wore as the wolf was legal then. I don't have a rulebook back that far.

That, and I think his claws would have been unsafe. Can we force someone to trim their fingernails before playing?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 02:22pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
It's really, really scary that you know the names of characters from Teen Wolf!

As to the original post, no way do I let that happen. If I see the team trying to do something like that, get in there and make them walk away. If they say/do anything unsportsmanlike, whack them - whack them good.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
The real questions is whether the two-color headband he wore as the wolf was legal then. I don't have a rulebook back that far.

That, and I think his claws would have been unsafe. Can we force someone to trim their fingernails before playing?
I believe you can if you deemed them to be dangerous..in this case I'm going with the full declaw treatment, not just the trim...
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
It's really, really scary that you know the names of characters from Teen Wolf!

As to the original post, no way do I let that happen. If I see the team trying to do something like that, get in there and make them walk away. If they say/do anything unsportsmanlike, whack them - whack them good.
Ha ha I was snow/iced in on Sat and it happened to be on!
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 02:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I believe you can if you deemed them to be dangerous..in this case I'm going with the full declaw treatment, not just the trim...
You believe correctly. R3-7
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Understand sports movies use dramatic situations to make the story more interesting. There were many things in that game that were not quite accurate to help engulf the audience into the story. If I remember the movie correctly, they were not quite nose to nose. And if as an official they looked at each other, I do not think that would be an issue with me. Someone would have to do something or some contact would have to occur or words would have to be exchanged and that would be a little different. Even then, officiating is not about penalizing every time players interact negatively. Based on what I remember and the way you described the situation, Ts are for when things happen not for when players look at each other and make no contact. Intimidation is not illegal. If that was the case every time someone blocks a shot then we have to call an unsporting T.

Peace
Dude, I couldn't care less if this was an exaggerated scene or not! I'm asking if sometime it actually plays out like the coach was instructing, what would you do? Actually, in the movie it doesn't even show that scene, it goes from the Texas huddle straight to the throw in. Intimidation is not illegal...hmm... ok, so big post player takes out the little guard on a drive to the basket, takes him to the floor, then stands over him staring him down, no words, just stands over him staring him down, and you're gonna no call that part. Get ready to have fun, cuz it's only getting worse from there!