The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 04:40am
Official Forum Member

Question

Hi,

I'm looking for a particular play that was discussed months ago, that I only half remember. Maybe someone can help give me some info...

It was a Scrimmage kick play where B fumbled and A returned the ball for a touchdown.
There was some sort of penalty on A (PSKE I expect) and the discussion was about the penalty enforcement.
To the effect that if A was stopped short of the touchdown, they would end up with the ball (I think with sport enforcement), and if the play ended in a touchdown the penalty cancelled the points, and for some reason the team also looses the ball.

There was discussion that this is one of the unfair/unbalanced rule enforcements that some people would like to see corrected.

Does anyone have an idea about what I am thinking of? Have I mis-remembered something completely?

Thanks

James
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

I can't remember based on your information but consider fouls by the kicking team

A is the kicking team (K) . B is the receiving team (R)

...foul by K during the kick(loose ball) would be brought back and enforced from the previous spot if the penalty is accepted by(R). example: K 4/10 from k 30 . K7 holds R7 . After enforcement K's ball 4/20 from k20 .
...foul by K committed after the kick ends ( when the R gains possession) but before the ball becomes loose. Enforcement of the accepted penalty would be from where the running play ends. The running play ends when the ball becomes loose (that's why we need to be accurate in dropping the beanbag).Example: R1 catches a punt at r35. R1 has his facemask grabbed at r40 and is tackled at midfield. After enforcement is will be R's ball 1/10 at k35.
...foul by K during the loose ball play . Enforcement would be from the basic spot which is where the run ends and the ball became loose. (accurate bag spot is needed). Example: after catching a punt at r20 , R1 fumbles the ball at r30. During the scramble for the ball K2 blocks R2 from behind and below the waist. Enforcement would be from r30. It would be R's ball 1/10 from r45.
... foul by K after loose ball is recovered by K. Enforcement would be from the basic spot which is the end of K's run unless the foul is behind the basic spot. Example: K5 recovers R5's fumble at r25 and advances to r5. K11 holds R11 at r15. This would be enforced at the spot of the foul. K's ball 1/10 at r25 . If a foul would be committed at r3 the enforcement spot would be the end of the run which is r5.

PSK fouls only regard fouls committed by the receiving team during the kick and after the kick crosses the expanded neutral zone.

Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jjrye22
Hi,

I'm looking for a particular play that was discussed months ago, that I only half remember. Maybe someone can help give me some info...

It was a Scrimmage kick play where B fumbled and A returned the ball for a touchdown.
There was some sort of penalty on A (PSKE I expect) and the discussion was about the penalty enforcement.
To the effect that if A was stopped short of the touchdown, they would end up with the ball (I think with sport enforcement), and if the play ended in a touchdown the penalty cancelled the points, and for some reason the team also looses the ball.

There was discussion that this is one of the unfair/unbalanced rule enforcements that some people would like to see corrected.

Does anyone have an idea about what I am thinking of? Have I mis-remembered something completely?

Thanks

James
Try using Google to search it, if you go to advanced search you can specify the webpage; just type officialforum.com and then type what ever you want to search. Hope that's helpful.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jjb
PSK fouls only regard fouls committed by the receiving team during the kick and after the kick crosses the expanded neutral zone.
Careful there!
If the foul by R meets the other PSK requirements, it can occur any time from the snap until the kick ends.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

PSK fouls do not apply to team-A.

I don't recall the play you are asking, but from the description, I think this play might have something to do with First touching/Illegal Touching of a ball loose from a scrimmage kick ball that is picked up by team-B. Fumbled, picked up by the kicking team and returned for a long gain or TD. There is some kind of foul on team-B during the play.

Is this similar to what you might be after?
If so, the result will be different depending on this being a game played under NCAA rules or NFHS rules.
Old Wed Nov 24, 2004, 07:12pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Use google this way:

keyword_1 keyword_2 keyword_3 "keyword_4 keyword_5" site: officialforum.com

But don't have a space after thr colon.

The keywords in quotes are known to be consecutive.

Good luck.