The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Officials and Development

I received some good input and advice last year while going through what Rainmaker described as my - not enough Ts stage. Well, I don't think I have rabbit ears, but I seem to be in the middle of stage two, which Rainmaker described as more than enough Ts stage (or something along those lines).

Here's the sitch from a middle school tourney today. In the second quarter, coach B, who I had seen be fairly vocal with other officials earlier in the day, complained about a non-call with his arms extended way out to the sides, palms to the air, and look of disgust on his face. Maybe part of it had to do with game four of four and I was starting to fade some, but I issued a T. While reporting it he then barked angrily that he didn't deserve the first T (someone from the crowd barked that I had to warn him first). As a result of his complaints about the T, I issued him another and sent him out.

I find myself second guessing these situations quite a bit...either not calling one or calling one.

I feel way more comfortable officiating this year than last. I feel like I have a better understanding of the rules, mechanics, etc...I guess in a way I feel like the game is slowing down for me some. Last year it seemed everything was just flying by a hundred miles an hour.

How many went through a similar situation with Ts and any advice?

As background, I've worked ten games, not including 2 scrimmages, so far this season and issued four Ts: one for reaching over the boundary line after a warning; second, for a player complaining about a non-call in an adult rec tourney; and three/four today for a coach yapping and then a second for yapping about the first T.

Last edited by dan74; Sat Dec 01, 2007 at 07:16pm.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan74
I received some good input and advice last year while going through what Rainmaker described as my - not enough Ts stage. Well, I don't think I have rabbit ears, but I seem to be in the middle of stage two, which Rainmaker described as more than enough Ts stage (or something along those lines).

Here's the sitch from a middle school tourney today. In the second quarter, coach B, who I had seen be fairly vocal with other officials earlier in the day, complained about a non-call with his arms extended way out to the sides, palms to the air, and look of disgust on his face. Maybe part of it had to do with game four of four and I was starting to fade some, but I issued a T. While reporting it he then switched complaining about the non-call to the T call, so I T'd him again and sent him out. I find myself second guessing these situations quite a bit...either not calling one, as was the case early last season, to possibly being a bit quick to T during the latter part of last year and today.

I feel way more comfortable officiating these days...I've slowed down my calls, I guess in a way the game has slowed down as I view it, but still second guessing Ts.

How many went through something similar and any advice?

As background, I've worked ten games, not including 2 scrimmages, so far this season and issued four Ts: one for reaching over the boundary line after a warning; second, for a player complaining about a non-call in an adult rec tourney; and three/four today for a coach yapping and then a second complaint for continnued yapping about the first T.

I probably do close to 250 games a year up to varsity and I call about a handful of t's mostly men's league. Just not my style. If it makes the game better.....whack.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

I wasn't there so I can't tell you if the T's were warranted or not.

I will just say that if you feel that you start to fade by your fourth game, you should only accept three.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 07:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I find myself second guessing these situations quite a bit.
So.....quit doing that.

Seriously.

Every official sets their own guidelines when it comes to ascertaining what is "T"-worthy. You're in the process of developing your guidelines. As long as you're consistent to everybody involved on both teams, all is good. No one should have any complaints then.

And yes, every official goes through this development stage too. You have to find out what works best for you. You'll find too that your guidelines aren't really set in stone anyway. They'll change with circumstances sometime.

Technical fouls are just another call to be made. Don't waste time thinking about them, unless there is a chance that you can actually learn something out of a situation.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
This has always been a problem for me. In spite of everyone telling me "don't think about it" "just call it like any other foul" "don't fret about it". I always fret, always second guess, always replay it later. Over and over again. Well, okay not always. Some are just so obvious. And then just when I think the whole thing seems so obvious, I call a T and an eval or a partner, or a friend watching in the stands says they think it was OOO or something.

All that to say, I sympathize. The way to think about it at the JH level, especially, is to deal with the complaining early in the game. Use the sentences and the gestures and the indications at the first sign of complaining. THen when you get to the point of feeling like you've had enough, let the coach know: "Coach, I've heard enough." Then when you have to do it, well, you have to, and you don't feel too bad about it. Give him his rope and let him hang himself.

And then when you do give it, be sure to call it, report it and then get away from the bench. Let him vent a little if it's not too loud or too flamboyant. Pregame for your partner to be there and give the second one, if necessary. If you have a pre-planned routine that you consistently use, you won't feel guilty when you have to do it.

ANd don't use numbers as an indicator of how well you're learning. Some seasons are just like that and you HAVE to give way more, and then other seasons are easier. That doesn't have a lot to do with your skill.

Last edited by rainmaker; Sat Dec 01, 2007 at 07:47pm.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

I've rarely doubted myself for calling one, I have kicked myself on the ride home for not calling one.

Just like the game slowing down for you takes time and experience, so does dealing with problem coaches and players.

You pretty much need to set your guidelines of what is not okay for you.

Have your automatics: they swore at you, they questioned your integrity, they were vocal and demonstrative and they were doing it on the floor or out of the box, etc.

Have your situational: the yapper, the shotgun, etc...and draw the line when they distract you. Warn and then they become automatic after that.

Nobody can set those for you. You need to figure out what you can ignore, what needs to be addressed, and what requires you to take care of business.

Once you figure out your boundaries, than work on ways to keep those boundaries from being reached without having to use the T...Now I'm in noway saying T's are bad, or always a last resort...but once you know where you stand on behavior, you can usually see very early in games where things will eventually head and you can have a few tricks in your bag that can head it off before it reaches your boundaries.

My advice is when you have a T, don't stress so much over calling it, focus on what behaviors lead to it and what you could have done to nip it in the bud before you whacked them. By doing that you better learn your limits and you start developing game management skills as well.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 08:38pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
I've rarely doubted myself for calling one, I have kicked myself on the ride home for not calling one.
Concur with that statement.

I only gave three T's last year - but kicked myself most for the one I didn't issue.

I try to avoid them like most, but, when a coach or player earns em, whack!

This all comes with experience, and this situation, like others, will certainly help you decide what to do next time.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Here's the sitch from a middle school tourney today. In the second quarter, coach B, who I had seen be fairly vocal with other officials earlier in the day, complained about a non-call with his arms extended way out to the sides, palms to the air, and look of disgust on his face. Maybe part of it had to do with game four of four and I was starting to fade some, but I issued a T. While reporting it he then barked angrily that he didn't deserve the first T (someone from the crowd barked that I had to warn him first). As a result of his complaints about the T, I issued him another and sent him out.
It sounds like a good T to me. Did the rest of the game go well? Players playing? Asst coach coaching and not complaining? That's another way to judge a T. If it makes the game better, it was probably good.

(That doesn't mean if it doesn't make the game better, you shouldn't have done it.)
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
It sounds like a good T to me. Did the rest of the game go well? Players playing? Asst coach coaching and not complaining? That's another way to judge a T. If it makes the game better, it was probably good.

(That doesn't mean if it doesn't make the game better, you shouldn't have done it.)
Yes, the rest of the game went real well. A person came from the stands and took over. First thing he did was group his players and told them to forget about the technicals and play on. He was very positive with the team and drawing plays on a white board, etc. As a matter of fact, the other team's coach was pretty quiet after this too.

The comment from the stands about having to warn the coach prior to calling the T made me smile inside a bit, as I immediately thought of this forum when he said it. However, I was quickly jolted back to the game when the coach earned his second T.

I have to admit, this forum has made a great difference in my officiating.

By the way, the opposing team missed all six free throws for the T(yes, different rules for this tourney), and didn't score after receiving the ball out at the division line.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 10:35pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
........ I issued a T. While reporting it he then barked angrily that he didn't deserve the first T.......

If a coach is "angrily barking" anything about getting a T, while you are still reporting it, if that isn't asking for it, I don't know what is.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 10:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

A wise referee (no, not me) once said the purpose of a technical foul is to stop bad behavior. If you can stop the bad behavior without issuing the technical - do it.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Granted that this was a middle school situation and you felt you needed to do what you needed to do which is fine.

But the advice I have been given regarding giving a T to a coach is get to the circle and find your partner, (hopefully one is already there for you). Then short of the coach coming out and tackling you don't be calling a second T on the coach. Get your thoughts together, let him vent, let your partner get him seatbelted (in NFHS) and get the game going again. If he does do something that deserves the second T it better come from one of your other partners.

In your situation, Ting a coach a second time and thus ejecting him just because he disagreed with the first one is a bit of a stretch.

Again, this is probably for higher level ball so take it for what its worth, but something to think about as you develop.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 11:02pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
A wise referee (no, not me) once said the purpose of a technical foul is to stop bad behavior. If you can stop the bad behavior without issuing the technical - do it.

In a freshman boys game the other night A scored and B1 grabbed the ball and stepped out quickly. Just as he was about to release his pass, his attempt was somehow disrupted and he accidentally stepped inbounds. Coach A flew up off the bench and a step or two out of the box. "THAT'S A...." and then I blew the whistle and signaled the violation----- and just looked at him. He stared back briefly, with his mouth hanging open, and then quickly ducked his head. I got a bigger kick out of this wordless exchange than any T I have ever called.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Seriously.

Technical fouls are just another call to be made. Don't waste time thinking about them, unless there is a chance that you can actually learn something out of a situation.

I"m finding that I am starting to treat technicals as just another foul. We talk about the 3 P's around here.

Personal- pretty much anything along the lines of "you suck,you're cheating, you ,you,you,you Automatic....

Profane- Automatic-though I give some wiggle room for players quietly cussing at themselves. Loud cussing is an automatic

Persistent is the one where I have to talk them off the ledge. I do work on communicating with coaches. I will be flexible but there comes a point some coaches want to jump off the ledge and I let them.

Here is my T rundown so far this year.

Kid running down the court, hands flailing, loudly letting me know , and evryone in the county know "I need to call that." I did. T

Repeat the 1st scenairo.

Frosh girls game. ball bouncing around girl finally corrals it. Opposing teams point guard,about 2 feet tall ,is jumping up and down in front of me doing a very nice,tight traveling mechanic. T ,

Coach on Friday night, 1 minute 8 seconds into game, empty gym yells something along the lines of "making that gosh darn call'. T

So the spontaneous ones are easy it's the persistent ones that are tougher.,

After the T on Frosh girl, watching Varsity later that night, I had a Hooisers moment with said girl and father. Father missed it but heard about it. I almost had a moment of compassion as the tears flowed from frosh girl as she apoligized (sp) to me.....
Old Sun Dec 02, 2007, 12:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Last night I called the first two fouls against a player early in the game. He ranted and I just looked at him on my way to the table. He stopped his behavior the rest of the game (at least with me). I did not have to hand out a T.

That technique came with experience and trial and error. If you can find ways to accomplish the same thing without a T, in my opinion you have won. The minute you call a T it because about the official whether you like it or not.

Peace