The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 06:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
For context, since my "scary" description seems to have stricken a JR nerve, is that far too often new officials feel the need to be the enforcer, and draw a line that they won't put up with anything.
Naw, JR just thinks that your whole officiating philosophy is a complete load of doodoo. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, let alone a new official just starting out.

Don't let that deter your oracling though.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

See, that's the funny part. Because neither of us is right or wrong. What you and the other two guys advocate is correct by the rule book. So is my philosophy. All my post said was to think about those things and make up your own minds. I can never argue about whether a T is correct. But I can say that newer officials make a lot of judgment mistakes, and defensive officials never realize how many judgment mistakes they really do make. When you penalize reactions for your own mistakes, is that good for anyone? What works for some doesn't work for all.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 09:53pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I can name that Old School in 10 posts.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Naw, JR just thinks that your whole officiating philosophy is a complete load of doodoo. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, let alone a new official just starting out.

Don't let that deter your oracling though.
The really scary part is that someone would have the arrogance to call him/herself an "Oracle". Wow.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 10:22pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
The really scary part is that someone would have the arrogance to call him/herself an "Oracle". Wow.
See post above yours.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
See post above yours.
Yea, interesting, eh??

And, btw, how's the weather in your area? I know the news has been saying y'all have been slammed "in Vermont" but they're also saying that Oregon is in a state of emergency, but my neighborhood is fine. So how is it where you are?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2007, 10:43pm
Aleve Titles to Others

10-12 inches. But the snowblower hit an immovable object so that's gonna cost a few game fees.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
10-12 inches. But the snowblower hit an immovable object so that's gonna cost a few game fees.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 05:28pm
Aleve Titles to Others

It's okay. I may be stubborn, but I'm not immovable.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's okay. I may be stubborn, but I'm not immovable.
Ah, but two immovable objects wouldn't be a problem. What is good is that you're not irresistable! hee...hee.....
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 09:59pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Ah, but two immovable objects wouldn't be a problem. What is good is that you're not irresistable! hee...hee.....
Good news...I just have to replace a couple of pins and I have the parts. Now to figure out where they go or it MAY be several game fee checks....
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan74
I find myself second guessing these situations quite a bit...either not calling one or calling one.
If you feel this way you might want to clearly define to yourself what the limits of coaching behavior should be. Then you will feel more comfortable with the situation when the coach crosses the line. My first few years I had a quick whistle because I also coach and have a definite distaste for coaches who abuse officials. I found that when I developed a little more patience whacking coaches that I didn't think about it so much after I whacked them.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 08:52am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I can name that Old School in 10 posts.
No way. This guy is actually literate enough to use caps in the right places and spell all his words correctly. I disagree with a couple of his posts, but at least I understand them.

If I had to guess, I would say that he's a coach or former coach who remembers things from the coach's side. (They're more reasonable as you get to higher levels, you can always avoid the T, etc.)
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 10:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
If I had to guess, I would say that he's a coach or former coach who remembers things from the coach's side. (They're more reasonable as you get to higher levels, you can always avoid the T, etc.)
Naw, he's a lawyer. They're trained to be wishy-washy weasels.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Last night I called the first two fouls against a player early in the game. He ranted and I just looked at him on my way to the table. He stopped his behavior the rest of the game (at least with me). I did not have to hand out a T.

That technique came with experience and trial and error. If you can find ways to accomplish the same thing without a T, in my opinion you have won. The minute you call a T it because about the official whether you like it or not.

Peace
I seem to be quite patient with T's, maybe too patient.

My game on Tuesday (Boys JV) was a tight, emotional affair. At one point, mid-3rd quarter, the visiting team player came down the lane and scored. I called a foul as well and he turned to the home player a foot away and said something like "yeah, that's right!". Our association, along with the POE would encourage giving an auto "T" for that. I said to the visiting player "Hey, enough of that, let it go", regretting my actions 2 seconds later (not giving him the T).

Later, with about 1 1/2 minutes left, still tight, I had to call traveling on the home team right in front on home bench. The kid reacted with arms out but even their coach knew it was travelling. He continued to grumble and coach got a sub for him but I still heard him as he walked off the court "that was a bad call". Sub-conciously, I knew I had let one go on the visitors so I let this one go as well.

Live and learn