The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Inbounder slips

NCAA basketball game I was watching last night. Forgot the teams playing but I think it was George Mason/Kansas State. Anyway, after a made basket, the inbounding team grabbed the ball, went out of bounds, and slipped (falling to the floor). The ball rolled inbounds. The official blew his whistle and gave them the ball back. I think it was the right thing to do, but was it the right call according to the rules?
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill
NCAA basketball game I was watching last night. Forgot the teams playing but I think it was George Mason/Kansas State. Anyway, after a made basket, the inbounding team grabbed the ball, went out of bounds, and slipped (falling to the floor). The ball rolled inbounds. The official blew his whistle and gave them the ball back. I think it was the right thing to do, but was it the right call according to the rules?
Around her (Portland Oregon) in high school, it would be acceptable. I don't know a rule reference, though.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think the rules really anticipate this kind of accident. They are written to address "normal" game play situations. So we're expected to apply some common sense when unusual things happen. For example, there is an NFSH case play about a free thrower who fumbles the ball into the lane (arguably a similar kind of situation), and the ruling is to blow it dead and reset. I think the way it was handled is within the spirit of the rules and acceptable.
Old Fri Nov 23, 2007, 01:54pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I'm pretty sure this would be considered an accidental loss of control, a fumble. We have guidelines for fumbles in these kinds of situations. NCAA has a case play for an inbounder who fumbles the ball, which bounces outside of a designated spot. Blow the whistle and re-administer.

NFHS has a case play for a free thrower who fumbles the ball into the lane. Blow the whistle and re-administer.

This case, IMHO, would be handled similarly.