The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 11:44pm
(Something hilarious)

Fouling an inbounder who is not a thrower?

Following a successful try by A, inbounder B2 passes the ball to B3, who is behind the endline. As B2 releases the pass to B3, A5 reaches through the plane of the boundary line and hits B2's wrist (enough of a hit to be called a common foul if B2 had been in bounds performing the same pass).

Ruling?

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Sun Jan 07, 2007 at 11:51pm.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 11:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If you have to call it, you need to call the X, IMO. If the pass gets where it was supposed to go, you might be able to pass on it, though.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
Following a successful try by A, inbounder B2 passes the ball to B3, who is behind the endline. As B2 releases the pass to B3, A5 reaches through the plane of the boundary line and hits B2's wrist (enough of a hit to be called a common foul if B2 had been in bounds performing the same pass).

Ruling?
Nice question.

The rule is quite specific about who needs to be fouled for this to be an intentional foul. All cases that I can find specify the thrower.

9-2-11
Penalties (Art. 11)
4. If an opponent(s) of the thrower reaches through the throw-in boundary-line plane and fouls the thrower, an intentional personal foul shall be charged to the offender. No warning for delay required.

*10.3.11 SITUATION A: After a field goal, A1 has the ball out of bounds for a throw-in. Thrower A1 holds the ball: (a) B2 crosses the boundary line and fouls A1; or (b) B2 reaches through the out-of-bounds plane and touches the ball while in the hands of A1. RULING: It is an intentional personal foul in (a), and a technical foul in (b). In (a), such a contact foul with the thrower during a throw-in shall be considered intentional, or if it is violent, it should be ruled flagrant. COMMENT: Either act is a foul and it should be called whenever it occurs during a game without regard to time or score or whether the team had or had not been warned for a delay-of-game situation. If the player making the throw-in (A1) reaches through the out-of-bounds plane into the court and B1 then slaps the ball from the hand of A1, no violation has occurred. B1 has merely slapped a live ball from the hands of A1. (4-19-3, 4; 9-2-11 Penalty 3, 4)

*10.3.11 SITUATION C: Team A scores near the end of the fourth quarter and is trailing by one point. B1 has the ball and is moving along the end line to make the throw-in. A2 steps out of bounds and fouls B1. Is the foul personal or technical? RULING: This is an intentional personal foul. The time remaining to be played or whether Team A had been previously warned for a delay-of-game situation is not a factor. If the team had not been warned, the foul constitutes the warning. (4-19-1; 9-2-11 Penalty 4)

Despite all of that, I believe that the spirit and intent of this ruling is to penalize the offender with an intentional personal foul for fouling a member of the throwing team who is legally out of bounds during the throw-in.

I would call an intentional personal foul, but your point about the nuance of the rule is noted.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:18am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Nice question.
Despite all of that, I believe that the spirit and intent of this ruling is to penalize the offender with an intentional personal foul for fouling a member of the throwing team who is legally out of bounds during the throw-in.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I would call an intentional personal foul, but your point about the nuance of the rule is noted.
Thank you.

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Mon Jan 08, 2007 at 12:21am.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

From Rule 4:

SECTION 42 THROW-IN, THROWER, DESIGNATED SPOT
ART. 1 . . . The thrower is the player who attempts to make a throw-in.
ART. 2 . . . A throw-in is a method of putting the ball in play from out of bounds

Hmm, interesting question. When I look at the above, it seems to me-

1) The throw in has not ended
2) The player is attempting to put the ball in play from out of bounds
3) By definition, that player is now a thrower

So I would say, the language backs up your conclusion quite nicely.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 02:58pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnjoe
From Rule 4:

SECTION 42 THROW-IN, THROWER, DESIGNATED SPOT
ART. 1 . . . The thrower is the player who attempts to make a throw-in.
ART. 2 . . . A throw-in is a method of putting the ball in play from out of bounds

Hmm, interesting question. When I look at the above, it seems to me-

1) The throw in has not ended
2) The player is attempting to put the ball in play from out of bounds
3) By definition, that player is now a thrower

So I would say, the language backs up your conclusion quite nicely.
I disagree with #2, which is why I posed the question. My unwritten assertion was that the player being fouled does not meet the definition of a "thrower." The argument against this would be that the "throw-in" includes all action between the ball being at the disposal of the thrower and the ball being "in play." The argument against that would be that, if that were the intent of the definition of 4-42-1, it should instead read something to the effect of "The thrower is the player who participates in the throw-in by being legally out of bounds."
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Ah, I see what you are saying now. My thinking was that the question was about the 2nd OOB player who was receiving the pass.

Does it make sense to say, that B2, by passing to B3 who is going to throw the ball in, is still a part of the throw-in (i.e. attempting to put the ball inbounds)?

Regardless, good food for thought!