The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 01:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
No doubt everything works better when people understand the mechanics, how to be positioned, where are their responsibilities, etc. That much is obvious.

But what's also true is the original poster here is going to work his first 3-man game very soon, whether he's ready or not. So I'm hoping we can help him as much as possible - regardless of whether he's "ready to go" or not. The truth of the matter is many officials will go 3-man for the first time in a game. Might be JV, might be Varsity. Hopefully they'll get a scrimmage or two, or even better a camp, but my guess is that outside of one or two pre-season scrimmages, most officials are thrown right in.
I disagree with the statement that most are just thrown in. I think many here either are required to go to camps or prove what they can do at a camp before giving some kind of assignment. There are too many camps across the country and many jurisdictions are requiring some kind of camp experience even before you step onto the court let alone working 3 Person in a real game. And if you have any aspirations or even an inkling that you will be assigned or could be assigned such a game, you need to do some research long before you actually get the call. My first year I started studying the 3 person system and I had no games in that system and later that year I was assigned a game. Not to say I was great or knew everything, but I was much better prepared for that reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Bottom line, experience working games and scrimmages is the only thing that will fully prepare an official, and this guy doesn't seem to have the luxury of any "practice" priot to the real deal. So here's to giving him all the help we can. And I'll stick to my best advice in that situation - learn as much as you can in the book, do as much pregaming as possible with your partners, and then go out and officiate hard.
Well even after this game is over, he needs to take time to learn the system anyway he can. Even if that means working some Men's Leagues (I cannot believe I just said that) and working with some vets to learn the basics. Even if he works this game this system is not something you learn overnight or learn by just working a couple of times on the court. For the system to have a flow, you need people to have a very good understanding so they can adjust to all kinds of situations and things that will throw you for a curve.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I disagree with the statement that most are just thrown in. I think many here either are required to go to camps or prove what they can do at a camp before giving some kind of assignment. There are too many camps across the country and many jurisdictions are requiring some kind of camp experience even before you step onto the court let alone working 3 Person in a real game. And if you have any aspirations or even an inkling that you will be assigned or could be assigned such a game, you need to do some research long before you actually get the call. My first year I started studying the 3 person system and I had no games in that system and later that year I was assigned a game. Not to say I was great or knew everything, but I was much better prepared for that reality.

Well even after this game is over, he needs to take time to learn the system anyway he can. Even if that means working some Men's Leagues (I cannot believe I just said that) and working with some vets to learn the basics. Even if he works this game this system is not something you learn overnight or learn by just working a couple of times on the court. For the system to have a flow, you need people to have a very good understanding so they can adjust to all kinds of situations and things that will throw you for a curve.

Peace
I certainly agree with 99% of what you're saying - though I'd be interested to know how many jurisdictions require a camp experience prior to working games. I've never been in one, though I've always worked in more rural states that are hurting for officials.

I hope everyone who officiates takes it as seriously and works as hard at it as you and I do. I attend camps, clinics, meetings, and anything else I can get my hands on. I want to be the best official I can. That said, I'm going to work most nights with at least one offical of three that doesn't work nearly that hard, that is being thrown into action before they're ready out of necessity, and/or that, unfortunately, doesn't care as much as I do. I've discovered a few things that help that person in those situations, and as a result help the entire crew.

Bottom line is that those who come to this forum asking for help like this should be given as much as possible - as we've done in this thread. Hopefully we can also give him a bit of confidence while balancing with emphasizing the importance of mechanics. He's going to struggle with them the first time out, and it's going to be in a real game. Here's to hoping he officiates a good ballgame and doesn't get caught up worrying more about where to go after a couple of mistakes than the action happening in front of him...
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 02:35pm
Huck Finn

Rut has pretty much said what I would say, but I have one question.

Am I the one who was called a jerk?

I know me and Rut aren't the only people who had the same thought. It isn't fair. It isn't fair to the teams, it isn't fair to the OP, it isn't fair to his partners and it isn't fair to the game of basketball. Would I take the game if I was in the same position? Yes. But, when you think about it, my question wasn't so far fetched to call me a jerk - IMO.

It cannot be stressed enough, knowing what to do and actually doing it are two totally different things. For instance, how many people have worked with someone who said they were going to do something in pregame and then they went out there and did something else? Now that everyone has their hand up, this is a good possibility with this situation.

Now that I've said my piece and Rut has too, the OP is pissed and will probably be more attentive to what needs to be done. Even if it helped the game a little, it helped the game. Don't thank me....send a check!
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Rut has pretty much said what I would say, but I have one question.

It is about time they are calling you names and not me.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

had a case last season. One partner's father passed away and we were assigned a new guy who had never done 3 man or college. We found out about all this a few hours prior to game.

We did a pre-game. Unfortunately the new guy was not very early. There were times he did ok - but there were some major problems that occurred late in the game. My other partner and I did a post game with him and he admitted being in way over his head. We vowed if it ever happened again we would find a spot that we could walk around and show rotations/switches etc even if it was in a McD's parking lot.

New guy came with us to other games when he was available. We did some 3 man with MS games with him (coaches approval) and he became quite good. When one of our crew is unavailable - we go to him first now.

It's just a lot to get into your head on the run.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:29pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Ohhhh is that what he meant??
I thought he was asking one of you all on a dinner or dancing date for assisting him
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm late here, but I worked last season with a few guys who'd never done three-man before; or it had been a while. But, these games were at the JV level where it's a perfect chance to dive in.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:41pm
Ch1town

Wow, 3 person at the JV level in Grand Junction? We're still at 2 for some Varsity games in Area 8... must be nice.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 04:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Ohhhh is that what he meant??
I thought he was asking one of you all on a dinner or dancing date for assisting him
Jerk Chicken........

Peace
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 05:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Wow, 3 person at the JV level in Grand Junction? We're still at 2 for some Varsity games in Area 8... must be nice.
Not many. I think I did maybe three or four like that last year. All varsity games are three-whistle, though. I've been told some exceptions are made in the far-outlying (smaller) schools, but only when a third official can't be found.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'm taking my drivers test soon but I've never been in a car. Any pointers?
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 12:36pm
Huck Finn

OK, so today is the day after the big game isn't it? I would like to hear how it went.
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 12:49pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
That's classic
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 01:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
read the rule book. good grief.