View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 07, 2007, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I disagree with the statement that most are just thrown in. I think many here either are required to go to camps or prove what they can do at a camp before giving some kind of assignment. There are too many camps across the country and many jurisdictions are requiring some kind of camp experience even before you step onto the court let alone working 3 Person in a real game. And if you have any aspirations or even an inkling that you will be assigned or could be assigned such a game, you need to do some research long before you actually get the call. My first year I started studying the 3 person system and I had no games in that system and later that year I was assigned a game. Not to say I was great or knew everything, but I was much better prepared for that reality.

Well even after this game is over, he needs to take time to learn the system anyway he can. Even if that means working some Men's Leagues (I cannot believe I just said that) and working with some vets to learn the basics. Even if he works this game this system is not something you learn overnight or learn by just working a couple of times on the court. For the system to have a flow, you need people to have a very good understanding so they can adjust to all kinds of situations and things that will throw you for a curve.

Peace
I certainly agree with 99% of what you're saying - though I'd be interested to know how many jurisdictions require a camp experience prior to working games. I've never been in one, though I've always worked in more rural states that are hurting for officials.

I hope everyone who officiates takes it as seriously and works as hard at it as you and I do. I attend camps, clinics, meetings, and anything else I can get my hands on. I want to be the best official I can. That said, I'm going to work most nights with at least one offical of three that doesn't work nearly that hard, that is being thrown into action before they're ready out of necessity, and/or that, unfortunately, doesn't care as much as I do. I've discovered a few things that help that person in those situations, and as a result help the entire crew.

Bottom line is that those who come to this forum asking for help like this should be given as much as possible - as we've done in this thread. Hopefully we can also give him a bit of confidence while balancing with emphasizing the importance of mechanics. He's going to struggle with them the first time out, and it's going to be in a real game. Here's to hoping he officiates a good ballgame and doesn't get caught up worrying more about where to go after a couple of mistakes than the action happening in front of him...