The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
BU mechanics at 1st

Something that happened the other day which left me wondering.
I was in A and the batter hit into right field, near the foul line. I moved to position just inside 1st in foul ground, setting up for the play from right field.
BUT..., the throw went over F3 and landed in the infield, between me and the PP. F1 was backing up the play, but not close enough to catch it, and was trying to retrieve the ball. With F3 near the base, F2 coming up the line and F1 in the middle; there was no opening for me to get into the infield.

If the runner tried for 2nd, how would you cover?
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

First, on a hit to RF, you want to be inside the diamond, toward 2nd base, if possible.

Occasionally (shallow RF, rocket shot, quick play) you can get pinned like you did in foul territory. If the ball gets away like you describe, I would now treat it like you would a bunted ball being fielded. You are outside, ball is inside, you stay outside. If BR went for 2nd, stay outside, and make the call from about where a normal F4 starts.

Question -- who is PP?
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

The other, more realistic approach in the case of the BU being trapped in foul territory on a play such as this, would be for the PU to move to the infield and take the runner to second and third, if necessary. Then, if for some reason the runner actually made it all the way around the diamond, the BU should be prepared for any play at home.

I also want to know what a PP is....

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Being an accomplished and well-practiced fat-finger typist, my guess... PP = PU
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

With partners I've worked with before, we will in fact discuss at pregame and do as Skaht suggests. However, BU needs a plan of action with either A - an umpire with which he's not had this discussion, or B - a situation with multiple runners where PU cannot help. I believe that working outside after an overthrow in this sitch works readily well, just as it would had the play never left the infield.

We had a sitch once in an on-field clinic with live batters. The clinician asked F9 to play shallow and the batter to try to hit a shot down the line, with F9 overthrowing F3 to illustrate exactly this play.

F3 tried to play the ball as BU moved into foul ground to make the call, anticipating the ball getting through. The ball glanced off of F3 into foul ground, but F9 still played it. BU ended up not just in foul ground... but INSIDE as well (in the coaches box, toward home). That ball got away as planned, and BU was SCREWED. Inside, and foul, with no hope of getting into position and still avoiding the play itself.

His comment was, "There. Now you have an example of what NOT to do... let's try this again." It was pretty humorous.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

I read PP to be Pitcher's Plate.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
I read PP to be Pitcher's Plate.
Oh, yeah... didn't think of that.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
a situation with multiple runners where PU cannot help. .
Yeah...but I don't think in that sitch he would be trapped outside in foul territory since he wouldn't be in the A position to begin with.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Yeah...but I don't think in that sitch he would be trapped outside in foul territory since he wouldn't be in the A position to begin with.
Uh....... give me the Gilda Radner "Nevermind" on this one.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

If this was a fly ball to right, near the line, why didn't BU go out? Starting from A, there are no runners. If a ground ball and somehow BU gets trapped in foul ground, PU should notice and take BR into 2nd, 3rd, and home too - it's just moving around the circle for the most part, then move in where a play looks likely.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

It was not a fly ball - it was a shot to F9 who had a play at first on the BR.

And if you are working the mechanic where PU takes the play at 2B and 3B, BU should release toward the plate after it's obvious there will be no further play at first base.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Thanks all, some good thoughts. And yes, the PU trailing the play toward 1st would be in a better position to cover 2nd than the BU outside the line.

If the BU was on the HP side of 1st (home plate not HU, Tom ), it seems to me there is no way to get back outside 1st to the B position to cover a play at 2nd. If necessary (PU asleep or down), I would rather loop behind F1 and F2 between PP and HP to get a perpendicular angle.

Regardless, thanks for the help. Tom does know enoudg to alswsys nbe suspiciaiu of my typekgh.
Old Mon Apr 10, 2006, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
The other, more realistic approach in the case of the BU being trapped in foul territory on a play such as this, would be for the PU to move to the infield and take the runner to second and third, if necessary. Then, if for some reason the runner actually made it all the way around the diamond, the BU should be prepared for any play at home.
This is something that could be discussed during your pre-game chat with your partner.