The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

3 on 3 mechanics

Hey all,
I've agreed to work a large 3 on 3 tournament next Saturday (extra golf money for the summer). I'm thinking I'll stay wide on the baseline and not make a whole lot of calls unless I have to. Does anyone have some experience with working these? What works and what doesn't as far as positioning? Thanks.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Variety

What I've done is just switch it up from time to time going from trail to lead. I wouldn't stay wide as lead since you have no look on the opposite side from there. Biggest thing is not get stuck in one place as it leads to falling asleep.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

You might want to check and see if you are covered, liability-wise. I enjoyed working a 3-on-3 tournament over a weekend but later was told that the liability insurance specifically requires games that begin as 5-on-5. Until I find time to research this and ensure some coverage, I am going to stay away from Round Ball.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
You might want to check and see if you are covered, liability-wise. I enjoyed working a 3-on-3 tournament over a weekend but later was told that the liability insurance specifically requires games that begin as 5-on-5. Until I find time to research this and ensure some coverage, I am going to stay away from Round Ball.
True, I'm pretty sure NASO insurance is very broad in its coverage in that it covers you during any officiating. But I could be wrong.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

I work one of these a year only because it is in my home-town (small). I always work as the lead. I always start out on the left side of the lane because the ages I work for this tournament is 8th grade and below. Most players at this age predominantly use their right hand so you have most of the action in front of you. I do slide over if they go left though.

My philosophy for these is to talk ALOT. Any hands on while a player is driving is "hands" from me. If they don't take them off, I have a whistle. Same thing in the post. I tell the players this before we even start.

I do not call anything off the ball unless it cannot be ignored.

I absolutely hate doing these tournaments but this has worked ok for me. To me it's not even close to how I or anyone should call a "real" game.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Ironically I just worked a long 6 hour 3 on 3 tourney today and here were some observations

-- I mostly stayed in the lead spot and basically did my own version of live-ball rotation... had to ball watch for the most part but also made sure to comment to the big guys bullying each other down in the paint.

-- I called it like I would in a pick-up game for the most part, really relying heavily on advantage/disadvantage more than usual, since there were no free throws, it didn't make sense to call a foul if the basket when in or they got the rebound.

- We were playing 8 minute running clocks but I only had 1 5 second closely guarded call... I totally dismissed 3 seconds, except a very rare warning if the camping out was too much... Traveling I called thed 3rd step pretty much hah.

-- Calling 3 pointers can be difficult so just sell the call.

-- We had no protection against beetching and moaning (technical fouls were pretty much worthless without beign able to foul out and no free throws... I actually did call one when it was just too much)... So I'd emphasize really not baiting in any shape or form, including a friendly conversational explanation... you're going to miss a lot of calls because you've got 6 players by yourself, so don't open yourself up to questioning... just let them yap.

-- In the playoffs they created a rule saying that after 8 team fouls, the team that got fouled would get 1 point and the ball, to discourage fouling, so I had to tighten up the reigns a little bit...

The big thing is at the end of the game, there was really no way to get the winning team to lose position except a turnover and it was a running clock so fouling wasn't helpful... I don't know if that was the ideal setup for the games, but its what we had to work with.

Good luck, it def wasn't one of the more rewarding days of my life except a nice financial incentive.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Find a cop and keep him close.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 03:33am
Official Forum Member

I recently did a charity 3 on 3 tournament, and it could have been the easiest/most lucrative thing I've ever done reffing. We had 2 man crews on half court games, and in the finals, we put a 3 man on a half court 3 on 3 game. The players, especially in the late stages were pretty much college and even some current D1 players, so it was fun. Best thing was a free lunch and $150 game check for 3 hours work. Did I mention it was across the street from my place The people were great and I hope to get asked to do it again in the future.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the advice. The tournament is being run by a JUCO assignor so I'm not too worried about sportsmanship. If I have a problem, I can give them the heave and will be backed up for sure (one of the reasons I agreed to do it). I guess I'll just play around with positioning and see what works. Some teams will need me out front (I'm thinking the C maybe) others will need me on the block. Both team captains have to sign in their team before the games so I'm planning on a quick pregame with them, with an emphasis on sportsmanship.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

I tried the center for a little but the problem came up when the ball crossed to the other side of the court, it was difficult to see the action... I know I missed several calls over there... in the lead with the live ball rotation you pretty much always get a decent angle with the most flexability.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 06:04am
Huck Finn

IMO and experience, the best look comes from working out top near the middle of the (full) court. When you think about it, we routinely have calls - or opinions - on plays in the paint from the C or T. Whether it is goaltending/BI, rebounding fouls, travels in the post, drives to the hoop or other action, we see it from the T or C. We do not have the same look at the L. Literally standing in the circle at half court, as a starting position, is what I do to get the best look on all three matchups and follow quick passes, drives to the hoop, etc. from either side.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
IMO and experience, the best look comes from working out top near the middle of the (full) court. When you think about it, we routinely have calls - or opinions - on plays in the paint from the C or T. Whether it is goaltending/BI, rebounding fouls, travels in the post, drives to the hoop or other action, we see it from the T or C. We do not have the same look at the L. Literally standing in the circle at half court, as a starting position, is what I do to get the best look on all three matchups and follow quick passes, drives to the hoop, etc. from either side.

Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of that. I might go with this. One of the big things my crew is working on is getting more calls around the hoop from T and C (when the ball comes from those areas, I sometimes catch myself reaching across the lane as lead and taking plays). I might try your position to help me work on some of that. Thanks.