Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Koach
As an assistant in previous years, I've never had a problem asking an official something. Of course, it's usually to clarify something so I can prove to my players that the refs aren't out to cheat them, something like "how late was he? a step late or nowhere close?" on a charge attempt called a block or "too much space?" between player and opponent on a over the back (yal love this phrase!) no-call on a rebound. plus im polite and not obnoxious (usually). According to some of the above posts, I probably shouldve been called for 5 T's a game if we go look at the game tape.
As long as you're polite, and ask at appropriate times, you're fine. At least around here. Also, if I know that correcting your players is really why you're asking, then I will be giving you LOTS of leeway.
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
First, I don't recall a question. Did you see a ??? at the end of the COMMENT? I was echoing a previous comment.

Second, you are the T, bench side during the first throw of a 2-shot FT. The ball is just being bounced to the thrower (at the throwers disposal), the player is taking a breath and bouncing the ball, and the AC politely stands up and comes to you, slightly on the court, and asks a simple non threatening question. I do believe that would be a live ball situation, but then again....

Please avoid inflammatory language like "stupid" as it has a way of reflecting back.
My mistake. It was a stupid comment.

As is your sitch. But let's play. What I'll do depends on the game scenario and the question. Just as in a dead ball sitch. See...that's why your comment is stupid. Get it now?

What would you do? Call Mistress Francine on your cell for guidance? Make sure you tell her your being a good boy so you don't lose any games.

Anyways, I guess we'll have to wait for you to be out of "time out" to reflect this one back, won't we.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 10:32am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
I feel the same way for my rec leagues...I attend the preseason coaches meeting to put my face before the league coaches so they can ask some questions. This has helped keep some of the in game yappin' to a minimum because they get my philosophy about youth sports and the league's philosophy on sportsmanship first hand. A lot of these guys don't seem to realize that if they don't get mouthy, the kids don't get mouthy and either do the parents. The coach really sets the tone for the team in this regard.

Asking questions is one thing...yelling at me about calls is a whole 'nother story!
Question along this line - I have been asked to speak to the REC League Coaches this week and I have accepted (same philosophy as discussed above). I intend to thank them for their volunteering, talk sportsmanship, review rule changes and POE's, and answer questions. Do others do this too? Shy away or avoid it? Just curious.

My biggest concern is most if not ALL of the other REC refs do it for fun and really don't know the rules. So, if I can't get a session with them, it puts them/me in a spot as now the coaches will tell them they're wrong. I have offered to hold a trng session for refs too - so far nothing from the league.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

It might be a good idea to keep some sort of minutes of the meeting and make those available to the other officials. That way they know what was discussed and if there is something they don't know they at least have an opportunity to follow up with a question.

I think the biggest problem with rec league officials is not being consistent with their calls. Very seldom will the complexities discussed here come into play. So a very basic understanding of the rules is probably sufficient as long as there is consistency. Oh, and this is where that myth of traveling or illegal dribble keeps getting fueled on designated out of bounds spots. Fix that one if you can.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 12:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer166
It might be a good idea to keep some sort of minutes of the meeting and make those available to the other officials. That way they know what was discussed and if there is something they don't know they at least have an opportunity to follow up with a question.

I think the biggest problem with rec league officials is not being consistent with their calls. Very seldom will the complexities discussed here come into play. So a very basic understanding of the rules is probably sufficient as long as there is consistency. Oh, and this is where that myth of traveling or illegal dribble keeps getting fueled on designated out of bounds spots. Fix that one if you can.
I'd say focus on the myths with the rec league officials; such as traveling during a throwin, shooter retrieving his own airball, being first to touch the ball after being out of bounds, etc. These are the things coaches and fans are usually wrong about; and they're the things newer refs tend to get wrong as well.

I'd present it to them in terms of, "this is what we've given the coaches."
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 02:26pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I'd say focus on the myths with the rec league officials; such as traveling during a throwin, shooter retrieving his own airball, being first to touch the ball after being out of bounds, etc. These are the things coaches and fans are usually wrong about; and they're the things newer refs tend to get wrong as well.

I'd present it to them in terms of, "this is what we've given the coaches."
Thanks Snaq. I'm also going to talk about my favorite pet peeves coaches always holler for - "over the back" and "moving screen."