The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Assistant coaches

If an assistant coach comes onto the court to ask you about 1.) rules question, or 2.)how something is being enforced, and he asks very politely, how do you respond? Do you respond differently for a varsity game than you would for subvarsity?
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjchamp
If an assistant coach comes onto the court to ask you about 1.) rules question, or 2.)how something is being enforced, and he asks very politely, how do you respond? Do you respond differently for a varsity game than you would for subvarsity?
I'm being very polite and professional to anyone who shows me the same courtesy, provided it's at the appropriate time. The idea that assistant coaches are to be seen and not heard simply doesn't work nowdays. Work with them if you can, they could be the buffer between you and a volatile coach.

CLH
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Is the ball live or is the ball dead like during a timeout. This makes a huge difference if you ask me.

As a general rule I will answer a question of an assistant if the HC is not available like during a timeout. If both coaches are talking or able to address me, I will not listen to the AC at all. As a matter of fact I might remind them that their role is to assist the HC and not assist me or my partners. And no I take a similar position at all levels. Varsity game the AC usually knows their role or the HC will remind them on their own.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
General rules/enforcement question or something related to a play in that game?

I would be more likely to answer a question about a specific play in that game than I would a general question. If it's about a play in the game be aware he's most likely out there because the coach told him to go ask.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 02:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I know questions like this really aren't intended for responses applying to rec leagues, but I thought I'd just mention this. Despite all the sarcastic comments I usually make about how I treat coaches in our local kids rec league, the truth is that I appreciate all of them because they volunteer a great deal of their time to help our kids. I'm always ready to answer virtually any question they have (and it's almost always a rules question) as long as they are "nice" about it. Whether it's the HC or the AC is irrelevant. In fact, I know a lot of them personally from working the league with them over the years and I've found that the more questions I answer, the smoother the games go and the more attention we can pay to seeing to it that the kids have fun.

There - that's my one decent post for this year. I got it out of my system.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
You very politely ask him to return to his seat and have him direct the question to the head coach and if there is still a question, the head coach will get the ruling.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

I'll talk to ANY team personnel (coach, assistant, trainer, substitute, etc.) if the question is respectful, appropriate, and at an acceptable time. What is appropriate varies depending on thier role. The head coaches get the most liberty and trainers/subs the least. No need to make enemies for no good reason.

Example.... If the assistant, during a time out, wants a quick explanation about why we keep calling their center for a travel, I'll tell them. If they start to debate the point, the discussion is immediately over and I'll create space between us....directing them to remain at thier bench area (if necessary).
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 04:12pm
Esteemed Participant

I agree with Camron and others, with the one addition that I will not let them stay out on the court. I will walk them back to their bench area and then have the brief discussion with them. Usually they are asking the question so they can tell the player(s) what they are doing that needs to stop or change. If it will make the game better, discuss it with them - just not out in the middle of the court. That just opens too many cans of worms...
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 04:15pm
Official & Member

If asked respectfully at the appropriate time, what's the harm in answering? I'm surprised nobody's mentioned that assistants often become head coaches with long memories...treat one like a d*ck needlessly and you'll likely have an adversary for a long time.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 05:25pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Live ball or dead ball makes a huge diff. Please clarify the context.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 06:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
If the assistant, during a time out, wants a quick explanation about why we keep calling their center for a travel, I'll tell them.
Camron - is your answer usually, "because he's traveling"?
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 06:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
Live ball or dead ball makes a huge diff. Please clarify the context.
Agreed. And more specifically, is this during a timeout or not.

I'm pretty sure the OP is intending the most acceptable situation; during a timeout or intermission. Otherwise, it's a no-brainer when he walks onto the court. Too late to even warn at that point.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I know questions like this really aren't intended for responses applying to rec leagues, but I thought I'd just mention this. Despite all the sarcastic comments I usually make about how I treat coaches in our local kids rec league, the truth is that I appreciate all of them because they volunteer a great deal of their time to help our kids. I'm always ready to answer virtually any question they have (and it's almost always a rules question) as long as they are "nice" about it. Whether it's the HC or the AC is irrelevant. In fact, I know a lot of them personally from working the league with them over the years and I've found that the more questions I answer, the smoother the games go and the more attention we can pay to seeing to it that the kids have fun.

There - that's my one decent post for this year. I got it out of my system.
I feel the same way for my rec leagues...I attend the preseason coaches meeting to put my face before the league coaches so they can ask some questions. This has helped keep some of the in game yappin' to a minimum because they get my philosophy about youth sports and the league's philosophy on sportsmanship first hand. A lot of these guys don't seem to realize that if they don't get mouthy, the kids don't get mouthy and either do the parents. The coach really sets the tone for the team in this regard.

Asking questions is one thing...yelling at me about calls is a whole 'nother story!
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I don't talk to assistant coaches. I'm not rude about it but direct. I have great relationships with coaches and assistants - even some that joke wth me about not talking to them. If they come out and insist on talking - then I'm a little more rude and sometimes downright obnoxious. I have a buddy that I work with a great deal who is worse about it than I am - and we were working a game where the assistant was one of his buddies. One time down the floor, he leaned down and made a comment to his buddy who said - "Sorry, I can't talk to you - my buddy's a prick about letting us lowlife assistants talk to refs!"

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 06:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
This has helped keep some of the in game yappin' to a minimum because they get my philosophy about youth sports and the league's philosophy on sportsmanship first hand.
Whenever one of our kid's coaches asks me how he (or she) can tell if they've had a successful season, I tell them this. At the end of the season ask your players two questions. First, did you have fun. Second, do you want to come back and play again next year. If all the players answer yes to both questions, then you had a successful season.

That's all there is to it.