The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

T-ing the Assistant Coaches

Last night I was working a boys Varsity game. The players were pretty good and the head coaches were pretty good. My question is how do you handle assistant coaches?

Here is my situation starting from the opening tip: Every time that Team A had the ball, the Assistant Coach (AC) would yell "TRAVEL." When I say every time, I mean every single possesion. Well, with 12 minutes to go in the 1st half the post player for Team A does the McHale move (pivoting baseline, pivoting towards the free throw line area, faking a fade-a-way, then stepping under for the lay-up). Anyone that has seen this move knows how effective it is......as long as the player keeps his pivot foot. The AC stands up and yells "TRAVEL" right at me. So, I waited for the ball to go through the hoop and T him.

The head coach is quite upset about not getting a warning. I rarely call T's on coaches, but it seems to me that AC's are getting a little full of themselver around here.

What is your policy for policing AC's ??
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

you DONT handle the assistant -- if hes giving you a problem -- all you need to tell the HC -- "Your assistant is about to cost you" they know what to do
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

The specific instance that you describe is obviously a T. You did fine on that play. However, you should have addressed this problem much earlier and you know it. It obviously bothered you that the AC was saying travel on every possession. On the second or third time that this happened, you should have informed the HC that this will not be tolerated. Take care of this early and it won't be a problem later.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
The specific instance that you describe is obviously a T. You did fine on that play. However, you should have addressed this problem much earlier and you know it. It obviously bothered you that the AC was saying travel on every possession. On the second or third time that this happened, you should have informed the HC that this will not be tolerated. Take care of this early and it won't be a problem later.
Agree here. If he was doing it everytime up and down the court then you should have addressed it immediately, shouldn't have taken 12 minutes in.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
Agree here. If he was doing it everytime up and down the court then you should have addressed it immediately, shouldn't have taken 12 minutes in.
Actually, we play 18 minute halves........we had only played 6 minutes at the time. I couldn't believe I was T-ing the AC this early in the game.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

did you try to resolve it BEFORE the T -- if you answer NO then that is why you couldn't believe you were T-ing him
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 07:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
On the second or third time that this happened, you should have informed the HC that this will not be tolerated. Take care of this early and it won't be a problem later.
Gee, you're a nice guy, Nevada. The first time an assistant coach says that to me, he/she gets a warning. Next time-->whacko.

All he's trying to do is influence the call, which is wrong no matter what coach is saying it. I won't let a head coach do that either. Nip it. Nip it in the bud.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Gee, you're a nice guy, Nevada. The first time an assistant coach says that to me, he/she gets a warning. Next time-->whacko.

All he's trying to do is influence the call, which is wrong no matter what coach is saying it. I won't let a head coach do that either. Nip it. Nip it in the bud.
I agree. First time AC runs his mouth I'll tell the HC he needs to get his bench under control. Next time he pipes up - automatic T.....and HC gets the seatbelt as it's also an indirect T on him.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

I am a little nice every once in a while. I probably would ignore the first comment, unless it was an outburst or derogatory. I'd likely start the crackdown process on the second occurrence.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 08:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

This situation could have been solved without a T. All you had to do is say something to the head coach right in front of the assistant and I bet you would have not heard another word. I guess it would depend on situation and circumstance. I had a situation last night were I just turned to the bench and ask the head coach directly so that all the bench could hear me and said, "You are the head coach right?" He said "yes." Then I said, "I do not want to hear from him anymore." I did not hear another word the rest of the night. This usually works well. I can only think of one time in the last few years where I have had to give a T on an AC.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

First time I get an opportunity to warn the head coach, I do. Then, his ace is mine.

Evenso, there's no reason the head coach should be surprised by the T. If he had taken care of his business, you wouldn't have had to.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Why warn in this situation? Every rules meeting that I attended they did not speak on giving the AC's warning. I think if I can hear it, the HC can hear this. The HC should take care of it on his or her own. I know; I know don't be a PLUMBER.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Why warn in this situation? Every rules meeting that I attended they did not speak on giving the AC's warning. I think if I can hear it, the HC can hear this. The HC should take care of it on his or her own. I know; I know don't be a PLUMBER.
Since you said you needed approval for a warning. Do you give a T immediately to any coach or player that even tries to question your judgment or influence your decision? That means 99% of every game would have a T no matter what the circumstances. If you use reasonable judgment in other situations, they I do not see why you expect letter to the law application on this one?

Peace
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

its not about just being a plumber -- its also about being an azz -- most reasonable people try and avoid sticky situations rationally -- in this instance rationality would warrant a "coach shut him the @#$@ up or I will" -- or something to that effect
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
The same reason you say things like, "Hey you two, knock it off," or "Black, get out of the lane," before blowing your whistle. Give the HC a chance to control his bench if it's not immediately necessary but you sense a pending problem. If the first problem you see is the AC with a foot on the court doing the Locomotion, ring him up right away.