The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am interested to response of this situration. I am an official, and my wife is the JV coach for a high school team. Here is the situation. The varsity game is being played between team A, and team B. She is on the bench, when the opposing coach team B gets a T. After the T, the game becomes a blowout with team A in favor. Team A sub the JV players into the game with 2 minutes to go in the game and Varsity coach for team A lets my wife start to coach since it is her kids playing. She is standing and coaching her kids not saying anything to the officials. With 30 second to go the official that gave the T comes and tells my wife that she needs to sit down. So my wife did, but doesn't understand why. The same two teams played, again, about three weeks latter, the same official works the game. This official before the game tells the coach she gave the T to, that she would like to get along and not have any problems. Before the pregame with the coaches, this official asks her partner to go and tell my wife's varsity coach that, my wife must remain seated. Now I no the rule that the assistant coach may not stand, and I explained this to my wife, but I don't agree in looking for something that is not a problem. I believe she should be able to stand if she is coaching the kids, since the game if for the kids and not officials. Also, I don't believe in talking to coaches about a previous experience, that i have had with them.

I would like a little discussion about the situation

Thanks
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 04:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

First, I never mention anything to a coach about a previous situation. If they bring it up, I just tell them that everyone begins each game with a clean slate.

As to the coaching situation, sorry, but she can't stand up. She really has assistant status in that situation.

BTW - were all the JV players in the book prior to the start of the varsity game? If not, they can't play unless added (T time) and if so, it just reinforces the case that she is an assistant at the varsity game - period - because then they would be considered varsity players at that time.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Coach B got a T. Which means Coach B can't stand. I know this official's thought process probably didn't work this way. But, it would be hard to let the winning oppossing asst. stand and coach. I get games where the asst. stands from time to time in a game to coach. I don't have a problem with this, as long as they sit back down. However, with 30 sec. to go, i'm not going to worry about it.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 06:20pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

The NFHS stipulates that assistant coaches are not allowed to stand — only the head coach.

I agree with the others that I don't think that I would have worried about it with 30 seconds left — the official should have said something in the beginning.

Personally, I really don't care that much about what coaches do as long as they are coaching. However, the rules are pretty clear on this and if the other coach is making a stink sometimes you have to go by the book.

That being said, I do not let two coaches stand up, nor allow assistants to go to the table or address me. But with this sort of situation (the JV coach taking over in the last part of the game), I think that you have to use a little common sense.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
First, I never mention anything to a coach about a previous situation. If they bring it up, I just tell them that everyone begins each game with a clean slate.

As to the coaching situation, sorry, but she can't stand up. She really has assistant status in that situation.

BTW - were all the JV players in the book prior to the start of the varsity game? If not, they can't play unless added (T time) and if so, it just reinforces the case that she is an assistant at the varsity game - period - because then they would be considered varsity players at that time.
I agree with this 100%! An official should never bring up what happened in a previous game, especially if you T'd the coach. This is just asking for trouble.

I personally don't have a problem with the JV coach assuming the head coach duties (and standing/coaching) as long as only one of them is standing -- particularly within the last minute or so. I don't talk to assistant coaches when they are actually the assistant. Some of my fellow officials do, but I don't.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

I think in the this sitch a little common sense and good will would have gone a long way. Technically should should not be up, but if there is only one coach up, with 30 seconds left of a blowout, I am just trying to let the game end.

Coaches are like dogs sometimes, better not to go poke them when they are behaving.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Brian, "Coaches are like dogs sometimes, better not to go poke them when they are behaving". Funny, but true.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dsavolt

I would like a little discussion about the situation

Thanks
If the rule that the assistant can't stand (with some exceptions) is generally enforced in your area, then the official was correct to enforce it in this case. Your wife was still the assistant coach.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2002, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Funny story from last Year. I was working a 8th grade Travel game. My partner, I was told was an official from a Pro development league. He soemtimes stops by and works some games. A minute into the game, 2 coaches from Team A
get up after a call of his. He walks over to them and calmly says "Who is the Head Coach"?. Coach #1 says I am. He then tells #1 to have #2 sit and I will deal with you (#1). 30 seconds later, My partner makes another call against Team A. Well #2 gets up and says What??? - Whack -
Hits him with a T. AS he's walks over to the table, #2 says "T?" - Whack - Another T and #2 is gone. I asked him at halftime, did I miss soemthing he (#2) said. He said no, I was taught the assistant coach says NOTHING to any official. He is there to help the Head Coach only. I said OK. After the game, by the refreshment stand, I saw #2 and knowing him from other games/sports, kinda of grinned and said that was quick. His lips were locked. He was afraid to say anything !!!
Old Sat Feb 16, 2002, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by DrC.
His lips were locked. He was afraid to say anything !!!
Let's keep it that way!
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

NFHS states that assistant coaches can't stand. However, if the assistant coach is causing no problem, i will allow them to. Here is an example of the frustration that referees and coaches have when one won't hear out and listen to the other. I believe it is a 2 way street, you make mistakes as do I.

last night i was working a 7th grade boys tournament. During the first quarter, I call a travel on team B for taking 5 steps! The coach barked about it for a while, then during 1/2 time, the coach comes over to "confer" with me about a travel call. I told him his player couldn't take 5 steps, and elaborated on it. He told (I use this word lightly, it was more of barbarically screamed) me the same play happened last night in the bucks game and those refs let it go. He told me that 6 steps would be a definate travel, but 5 wasn't. I showed him the rule book and he still didn't believe me, but that added to the fun of it, it was humorus

if you want to approach a referee go to them during a break of play, ask them rationally why they did what they did, nod and give them the impression that you really are listining (you'll get farther this way), then calmly explain you side of it, see what they say, but if they don't see it that way, then leave it.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
He told me that 6 steps would be a definate travel, but 5 wasn't. I showed him the rule book and he still didn't believe me, but that added to the fun of it, it was humorus
(Slaps self in face)

No WONDER why I've been getting this wrong all season!!
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 03:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
He told (I use this word lightly, it was more of barbarically screamed) me the same play happened last night in the bucks game and those refs let it go. He told me that 6 steps would be a definate travel, but 5 wasn't.
If he screamed at you, you should propose to him that he find out how many steps it was to the parking lot - and then tell him to take them.

Usually, when a howler monkey brings up an argument based on an NBA rule, I tell him that when he coaches in the NBA, he can use their rules. Until then, he uses my rules.

Any back chatter - I send him to his cage without any bananas.

BTW - the NBA rule is to allow only 4 1/2 steps
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Mark, what's a 1/2 step?

Are you dancing with the players on the court?
Old Sun Feb 17, 2002, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

"He told (I use this word lightly, it was more of barbarically screamed) me the same play happened last night in the bucks game and those refs let it go. He told me that 6 steps would be a definate travel, but 5 wasn't. I showed him the rule book and he still didn't believe me, but that added to the fun of it, it was humorus"

The worst thing for anyone involved in youth sports is to watch pro games. In high school football, when a coach came up with a dumb remark, our response was, "That's on Sunday, coach."

I was trail official in a HS varsity game about 20 years ago when an ASSistant coach told me to move because he couldn't see what was happening on the court. I politely told him to change his seat.

Bob