The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Answer any civil question from anyone on the team.

ACs have a way of becoming HCs. JV coaches have a way of becoming V coaches.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
Live ball or dead ball makes a huge diff. Please clarify the context.
Pretty stupid question.

If a coach comes out to question a call during a live ball you'll do what, exactly?
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
i strongly (and politely) disagree here. If it is during the game and the assistant does it the right way, as in is polite and I haven't really had an issue with him the whole game, then I have no problem answering your question. There's times to be a prick, and there's times not to be a prick. This is NOT one of those times.
I do not think it is being a prick to tell a coach anything politely. If you are always open to questions from AC, you will be answering questions all night in the heated moments as well. AC needs to coach, not for getting information from us. As a matter of fact there is no obligation to give any information to any coaches if we do not want to.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:45pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Pretty stupid question.

If a coach comes out to question a call during a live ball you'll do what, exactly?
First, I don't recall a question. Did you see a ??? at the end of the COMMENT? I was echoing a previous comment.

Second, you are the T, bench side during the first throw of a 2-shot FT. The ball is just being bounced to the thrower (at the throwers disposal), the player is taking a breath and bouncing the ball, and the AC politely stands up and comes to you, slightly on the court, and asks a simple non threatening question. I do believe that would be a live ball situation, but then again....

Please avoid inflammatory language like "stupid" as it has a way of reflecting back.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
First, I don't recall a question. Did you see a ??? at the end of the COMMENT? I was echoing a previous comment.

Second, you are the T, bench side during the first throw of a 2-shot FT. The ball is just being bounced to the thrower (at the throwers disposal), the player is taking a breath and bouncing the ball, and the AC politely stands up and comes to you, slightly on the court, and asks a simple non threatening question. I do believe that would be a live ball situation, but then again....

Please avoid inflammatory language like "stupid" as it has a way of reflecting back.
Based on the other active thread right now, he's standing without coaching his players, so he's getting whacked in KS, right?
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:02pm
KSRef07

Post deleted by Brad ... Technical foul for taunting (aka flamebait)

Then do so equally across the board, Brad

Last edited by KSRef07; Thu Oct 25, 2007 at 11:25pm.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You give him a polite answer to his question, and then inform him that he has also earned a technical foul for standing up when he is not allowed to do so.

2006-07 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

5. Rules Enforcement and Proper Use of Signals.
A. Rules Enforcement.
Coaching Box – In states that authorize the use of the optional coaching box, the head coach is the only person on the bench that is permitted to stand and must remain in the coaching box. All other bench personnel must remain seated at all times except when a team member is reporting to the scorer's table, during time-outs or intermissions, and to spontaneously react to a play.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:24pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
You give him a polite answer to his question, and then inform him that he has also earned a technical foul for standing up when he is not allowed to do so.

2006-07 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

5. Rules Enforcement and Proper Use of Signals.
A. Rules Enforcement.
Coaching Box – In states that authorize the use of the optional coaching box, the head coach is the only person on the bench that is permitted to stand and must remain in the coaching box. All other bench personnel must remain seated at all times except when a team member is reporting to the scorer's table, during time-outs or intermissions, and to spontaneously react to a play.
Good post. However, our fellow poster called me stupid for suggesting a coach could even come onto the floor during a live ball situation. I explained the above situation. I agree with your assesment, however.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 02:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
The ball is just being bounced to the thrower (at the throwers disposal), the player is taking a breath and bouncing the ball, and the AC politely stands up and comes to you, slightly
on the court, and asks a simple non threatening question.
In Kansas, that's a warning and a technical foul.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:24am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
I agree with Camron and others, with the one addition that I will not let them stay out on the court. I will walk them back to their bench area and then have the brief discussion with them.
Bingo. No more callers. We have a winner!
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Quote:
Live ball or dead ball makes a huge diff. Please clarify the context.
This is just a general rules enforcement question. The situation I was thinking of was a dead ball situation, cuz that's when it happens most often. I actually don't ever recall an AC approaching me to ask a question during live ball. In that sitch, I would most likely T (standing up no-no).
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 11:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Good post. However, our fellow poster called me stupid for suggesting a coach could even come onto the floor during a live ball situation. I explained the above situation. I agree with your assesment, however.
No, he said the question was stupid. He didn't say you are stupid.

His point wasn't that it couldn't actually happen; but that if it does happen, you don't have to decide whether to answer the question. It's a T.

And your question was implied in your "depends" statement.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
i strongly (and politely) disagree here. If it is during the game and the assistant does it the right way, as in is polite and I haven't really had an issue with him the whole game, then I have no problem answering your question. There's times to be a prick, and there's times not to be a prick. This is NOT one of those times.
I totally disagree and it is kicking what the rule book states as per NevadaRef.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Around here, during the game the AC is not acknowledged. Most officials treat intermissions & half-time differently & will communicate with or through an AC.

IMO, when the AC gets HC status we are asking for trouble & sooner or later will have to address it in a negative way. I think is better to not get there.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

As an assistant in previous years, I've never had a problem asking an official something. Of course, it's usually to clarify something so I can prove to my players that the refs aren't out to cheat them, something like "how late was he? a step late or nowhere close?" on a charge attempt called a block or "too much space?" between player and opponent on a over the back (yal love this phrase!) no-call on a rebound. plus im polite and not obnoxious (usually). According to some of the above posts, I probably shouldve been called for 5 T's a game if we go look at the game tape.