The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Blatant disregard of a rule by the player (dunking) and caught up in the moment of coaching (out of box 6"), play out differently in my mind.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 09:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
No, what is being discussed is JUDGEMENT. Pay attention please.
Yup. And we're questioning your judgment in not calling obvious dunks in a warmup. The consensus to date seems to be that your JUDGMENT is wrong.

Is that clear enough now?
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 09:50am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Call KSHSAA at 785-273-5329 and ask for Francine Martin. Refer to the publication "2007-2008 Basketball Announcements" authored by her, the head basketball administrator.
When it comes time to "put up or shut up", looks to me like KSref has put up. Either call the number or quit hashing this stupid subject. This is no longer being "discussed" by anyone; it's just people trying to swing a 2x4 at somebody else.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 09:56am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
Blatant disregard of a rule by the player (dunking) and caught up in the moment of coaching (out of box 6"), play out differently in my mind.
So the coach getting "caught up" is a good reason to totally disregard a rule?

I have no dog in this fight, but it has become stupid. If the pre-game dunk is obvious to everyone in the gym, including the opposing coach, you have no choice but to call it. But if it's a borderline dunk (he's up over the rim and dinks it in or he just gets a little of the rim while trying to look cool), and you can get to the kid to say, "Hey, don't make me make a decision on that", that's even better.

The coaching box is exactly the same. If the coach is 10' onto the floor and screaming at you, you have to T him up. But if he's 6 inches out of the box and coaching, and you can quietly say, "Coach, help me out and find your box", that's even better.

I know KSref said he "never sees" a pre-game dunk; but let's give him a little benefit of the doubt, for pete's sake. You think he's going to ignore a rim-shaking dunk when the opposing coach is staring at him and pointing at the basket? I don't. So why are we trying to beat each other up over something that happens once every other season?
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 09:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Call KSHSAA at 785-273-5329 and ask for Francine Martin.
Naw, instead of that I just e-mailed KSHSAA and asked them if basketball coaches were not allowed to stand quietly within their coaching box and watch play. I explained that according to one of their officials, coaches must sit down immediately if they weren't talking, and that their "talking" also had to do with coaching and nothing else. I further explained that the penalty claimed was a technical foul. I asked further about a head coach not being able to kneel, squat, etc. or do anything else but stand within their box, and failure to do so would be a technical foul also.

It's easier that way. I can then just cut and paste the response that I'm given.

Vindication might be nigh. Or......
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1

I have no dog in this fight, but it has become stupid. If the pre-game dunk is obvious to everyone in the gym, including the opposing coach, you have no choice but to call it. But if it's a borderline dunk (he's up over the rim and dinks it in or he just gets a little of the rim while trying to look cool), and you can get to the kid to say, "Hey, don't make me make a decision on that", that's even better.

The coaching box is exactly the same. If the coach is 10' onto the floor and screaming at you, you have to T him up. But if he's 6 inches out of the box and coaching, and you can quietly say, "Coach, help me out and find your box", that's even better.

I know KSref said he "never sees" a pre-game dunk; but let's give him a little benefit of the doubt, for pete's sake. You think he's going to ignore a rim-shaking dunk when the opposing coach is staring at him and pointing at the basket? I don't. So why are we trying to beat each other up over something that happens once every other season?
Well said.....
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
When it comes time to "put up or shut up", looks to me like KSref has put up. Either call the number or quit hashing this stupid subject. This is no longer being "discussed" by anyone; it's just people trying to swing a 2x4 at somebody else.
Shut up.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:

I know KSref said he "never sees" a pre-game dunk; but let's give him a little benefit of the doubt, for pete's sake. You think he's going to ignore a rim-shaking dunk when the opposing coach is staring at him and pointing at the basket? I don't.
I do. And I do because that's exactly what he's told us he's going to do.

What part of "NEVER" don't you understand, Scrappy? There is NO benefit of the doubt involved with "NEVER". It's as definitive as you could possibly get. He's already stated that he's NEVER going to call a dunk. Whether it's rim-shaking or not simply isn't relevant.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:09am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Yup, and that's exactly why I e-mailed KSHSAA.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:12am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
There is NO benefit of the doubt involved with "NEVER". It's as definitive as you could possibly get.
Oh yeah? What about "never, ever"? You're just not using enough significant digits.

And just in the interest of full disclosure, are you saying you've never used hyperbole to make a point? No, "never, ever", I'm sure.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:40am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
You think he's going to ignore a rim-shaking dunk when the opposing coach is staring at him and pointing at the basket?
I would hope not. Also, I'd like to see him ignore a pre-game dunk that rips the backboard off the post. That would be cool.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Oh yeah? What about "never, ever"? You're just not using enough significant digits.

And just in the interest of full disclosure, are you saying you've never used hyperbole to make a point? No, "never, ever", I'm sure.
Hyperbole is my middle name. If you ever deleted all of my posts containing "hyperbole", I'd probably have about 12 to date.

Hyperbole is my life.

Well, that and Twinkies.......
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:58am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

Scrapper, you know me and you know that what you wrote is exactly the way I would handle those situations...but where in your post do you say anything about IGNORING that "little" dunk or "NOT SEEING" it??? You (and I) would address those things and take care of them - whether it's the coach 6" out of the box or the "little" dunk - we do NOT ignore them - the way we address them is judgement. Ignoring them is not. And as my buddy Forrest would say, "That's all I have to say about that."
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Call KSHSAA at 785-273-5329 and ask for Francine Martin. Refer to the publication "2007-2008 Basketball Announcements" authored by her, the head basketball administrator. Don't take a pot shot and give me shi* about corroboration.
Fine, let me add something to the statement. While no one else has come to corroborate, no one from Kansas has refuted it, either. I really don't care one way or the other, just thought it was interesting.
Quote:
Second, I repeated ONE TIME what I thought another poster was saying regarding CO. EXCUSE ME if I misunderstood his post.
Fair enough. I've misread my share of posts as well.
Quote:
So, you "disagree that I agree" with what my state says and you "disagree that I can see where they are coming from"? WTF?
Really, you thought that's what I meant? I don't buy it.
Here's what I meant:
We disagree with the Kansas interpretation. We don't really dispute that it's the KS interp, we just disagree with the logic behind it. You agree with the logic behind it, therefore, we disagree with you.
If you want to just state the KS interp, fine, but if you're going to defend it be prepared to actually get disagreement. And since, as far as we can tell, KS is the only state that defines "coaching" so narrowly, be prepared for nearly unanimous disagreement.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, if I understand you correctly, if you see the head coach 6 inches outside his coaching box and you don't call a T, that would be what?

A) judgement
B) ignoring a rule
C) all of the above
D) none of the above
It's called understanding the intent and purpose of the rule....more than just the letter.

No pregame dunking is truly no pregame dunking. There is no reason to accidently dunk and no legitamate reason to need to dunk on purpose in pregame to properly warm up.