The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 11:30am
Ch1town

Wrong basket

Tied game with 5 seconds remaining in the 4th quarter, A1 misses her second FT. After the rebounding, B1 gets fouled on the unsuccessful try at Team As basket.

Partner & I came to the conclusion that a foul is a foul on that live ball situation. B1 shot 2 on the other end at the correct basket. Ball game…
Half the crowd went nuts as the Team A coach thought we should've went with a IW resulting in a jump ball favoring guess who? Team A

1> Was that handled correctly?

2> Had B1s try been successful, Team A would have been awarded 2 points & B1 shoots 1 on the other end?

3> B1 doesn’t shoot the FT if time had expired? ie: 1 point wouldn’t affect the outcome.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

I am pretty sure you can not have a shooting foul on a player shooting at the wrong basket. It is not considered a shot at your opponents basket. However, you can have a common foul and if you are in the bonus, then they would shoot the bonus shots at their own basket. But let me refer to the rule books and get back to ya.

If B1 had made the basket; yes Team A would have received the points and then enforce the common foul for B1 (bonus shots or inbounding spot).
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
I am pretty sure you can not have a shooting foul on a player shooting at the wrong basket. It is not considered a shot at your opponents basket. However, you can have a common foul and if you are in the bonus, then they would shoot the bonus shots at their own basket. But let me refer to the rule books and get back to ya.

If B1 had made the basket; yes Team A would have received the points and then enforce the common foul for B1 (bonus shots or inbounding spot).
Almost....

Since by rule it is not a shot, the ball becomes dead immediately. No points can be scored, if bonus shoot 1-1/2, if not, spot throw-in.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 11:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
1) I am pretty sure you can not have a shooting foul on a player shooting at the wrong basket. It is not considered a shot at your opponents basket. However, you can have a common foul and if you are in the bonus, then they would shoot the bonus shots at their own basket. But let me refer to the rule books and get back to ya.

2) If B1 had made the basket; yes Team A would have received the points and then enforce the common foul for B1 (bonus shots or inbounding spot).
1) Correct as per case book play 4.41.2.

2) The foul causes the ball to be dead immediately. Iow, no score if the foul occurred before the ball went in. If the foul occurred after the ball went in, the contact should have been ignored unless it was intentional or flagrant.R4-19-1NOTE.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 11:49am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
if bonus shoot 1-1/2
How do you shoot 1 1/2 shots? Does this mean the second shot only has to get halfway to the basket to count?
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Tied game with 5 seconds remaining in the 4th quarter, A1 misses her second FT. After the rebounding, B1 gets fouled on the unsuccessful try at Team As basket.

Partner & I came to the conclusion that a foul is a foul on that live ball situation. B1 shot 2 on the other end at the correct basket. Ball game…
Half the crowd went nuts as the Team A coach thought we should've went with a IW resulting in a jump ball favoring guess who? Team A

2> Had B1s try been successful, Team A would have been awarded 2 points & B1 shoots 1 on the other end?

3> B1 doesn’t shoot the FT if time had expired? ie: 1 point wouldn’t affect the outcome.
1. Maybe. If team B was in the double bonus, then yes, B1 would received 2 free throws. If team B was not in the double bonus, then no.

2. No. The "shot" by B1 at the wrong basket is not a try and therefore the ball becomes dead when the foul occurs. (4.41.2)

3. If fouls shots will not affect the outcome of a game, they are not shot.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 12:28pm
Ch1town

Appreciate the feedback! 4.41.2 is perfect & it was hackfest, we were well beyond the 10th foul so it's good to know that we got it right. Hopefully coach went & did some research as well.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
1) Correct as per case book play 4.41.2.

2) The foul causes the ball to be dead immediately. Iow, no score if the foul occurred before the ball went in. If the foul occurred after the ball went in, the contact should have been ignored unless it was intentional or flagrant.R4-19-1NOTE.
very good... if I had thought that through, realizing there was no "shot", then of course the ball has to be dead immediately because no, "in the act of shooting" rules apply. In which case, as you stated, only if the foul was after the basket would the points count.

Thanks.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 02:37pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Since by rule it is not a shot, the ball becomes dead immediately. No points can be scored, if bonus shoot 1-1/2, if not, spot throw-in.
We have a winner! This is a common foul since this is not a "try" by rule -- a "try" must be an attempt at your own basket.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 03:02pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town

You can not have a shooting foul when there is no "Try". Shooting at the wrong basket does not constitute a "try". Therefore, if Team B was in the bonus Team B would shoot FT, but not unless. Ball out of bounds endling, spot throw in.

The shot would not have counted because the ball is dead immediately if there is no "try". As mentioned, there was no try.

If time had expired and the FT would not change the score, no shots are attempted.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

I would sure like to have a dollar for every time someone asks this question.

We must have 100 threads on this by now stored on the server.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 06:48am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

if bonus shoot 1-1/2

How do you shoot 1 1/2 shots? Does this mean the second shot only has to get halfway to the basket to count?
Actually Mark, Snake's notation used 1-1/2, not 1 1/2. The international approved method for specifying fractions does not include a dash, so you should not interpret 1-1/2 as being equal to 1.5.

The dash has no significance, so there is a notation error. The best way to say 1.5 in fraction form is 1˝. To get the ˝ character, hold down your keyboard's ALT key, and hit 171 on the numeric keypad. or cust&paste from Word.

To specify a bonus-if-made or automatic bonus situation, how about 1+1/2? This has the added benefit that is a user makes a mistake and hits = instead of /. they are now saying 1+1=2, which is unintended, but still true!

BTW, this whole response is just a joke!
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 07:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
BTW, this whole response is just a joke!
Well, that's really not that much different from the vast majority of your responses.....

Too easy.......
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 02:47pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
If time had expired and the FT would not change the score, no shots are attempted.
Is this true in NFHS? Unless I'm mistaken, this is only a rule in NCAA.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 02:59pm
Ch1town

Fed

PENALTIES: (Rule 10 Summary)
1. No free throws:
e. After time has expired for the fourth quarter (or extra period), unless the point(s) would affect the outcome of the game.