The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 06, 2000, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I was watching an 8th grade game and saw an unusual play. Team A had just scored. Team B inbounded the ball to B1 who, confused shot at A's basket and was fouled in the act. The basket went.The referee's counted the basket for team A and then gave B1 one shot at their basket which he had to make to tie the game and go into overtime. This did not appear right to me. What does anyone think about this one?

------------------
vrl
Old Sun Feb 06, 2000, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Wow. I thought that this was only a play that officials asked each other to show off how well they know the rules. I had never heard it happening in real life...

Anyway, a shot at the opponents basket is not a try. (4-40-2) Thus, the ball bacame dead at the time of the foul. Since you said that B1 was fouled in the act of shooting, B1 was fouled before the ball went in which means that no goal should be counted (can't score with a dead ball). If Team B was in the bonus, B1 would still get his/her free throws.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Dead on, Ken. A try, by definition, MUST be at the correct basket. Since this wasn't, B1 was NOT in the "act of shooting." (I guess I'd consider this a VERY BAD pass.)

Foul is on A, and the ball goes out of bounds to B unless we're in the bonus, in which case B1 shoots one-and-one (at the correct end) or double bonus, in which case he shoots two (at the correct end).