The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Wrong basket

Team A’s ball to start second half. Player A1 throws-in to A2 in A’s back court. A2 thinks she is still shooting at the same basket they had during the first half and dribbles up to B’s basket, stops the dribble, then shoots. The ball hits the backboard, then bobbles off the rim and misses. A2 then catches her own rebound.
I blow the whistle with a double dribble. My partner comes running over blowing his whistle like crazy and over rules me saying that the ball should not have been blown dead and that my whistle should be ruled inadvertent with a throwing for team A.

Question 1: Did I totally muff this up and is my partner correct. There are a couple of scenarios in the case book that are very close to this. And from what I can tell, if a player throws the ball at the opponent’s backboard, it is considered a dribble.

Question 2: If the ball would have went through the hoop in this situation, would it have been 2 points for the other team and then an unrestricted throw-in for Team A at the end-line.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

you nailed it

you had it right the partner didn't, if it goes through the first time it is 2 pts and the endline
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

I think you made the correct call.

At the start of any quarter I always point the direction the inbound team is going. If you gave instructions to the inbounding team which way they are going, then they have no excuse.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref in PA
I think you made the correct call.

At the start of any quarter I always point the direction the inbound team is going. If you gave instructions to the inbounding team which way they are going, then they have no excuse.
I did. However, just before they came back on the court, their coach was feeding them a whole bunch of instructions. Poor kid.

Let me add one more question to this.
What if A2, after picking up her dribble, would have shot from say 10 feet away at the opponent’s basket and then the ball hits the rim only (not the backboard) and the ball does not go in the basket. A2 then runs over and catches her rebound. Would this also be an illegal dribble or a travel (not sure which)? Wouldn’t this be the same as the player passing the ball to her self?
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

I had this situation last year... in a varsity boys' game, AFTER i told them which way they were going! Double dribble was my call.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
I did. However, just before they came back on the court, their coach was feeding them a whole bunch of instructions. Poor kid.

What if A2, after picking up her dribble, would have shot from say 10 feet away at the opponent’s basket and then the ball hits the rim only (not the backboard) and the ball does not go in the basket. A2 then runs over and catches her rebound. Would this also be an illegal dribble or a travel (not sure which)? Wouldn’t this be the same as the player passing the ball to her self?
yep it certainly would be...
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 01:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Team A’s ball to start second half. Player A1 throws-in to A2 in A’s back court. A2 thinks she is still shooting at the same basket they had during the first half and dribbles up to B’s basket, stops the dribble, then shoots. The ball hits the backboard, then bobbles off the rim and misses. A2 then catches her own rebound.
Question 1: Did I totally muff this up and is my partner correct. There are a couple of scenarios in the case book that are very close to this. And from what I can tell, if a player throws the ball at the opponent’s backboard, it is considered a dribble.

Question 2: If the ball would have went through the hoop in this situation, would it have been 2 points for the other team and then an unrestricted throw-in for Team A at the end-line.
1) Illegal second dribble. Case book play 9.5 is the exact same play.

2) Correct.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

I had this happen once, but this time A1 shot and missed, A2 rebounded and missed, A1 got that rebound, shot and missed as that one came off toward A2 I had a ten second violation.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 02:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I blow the whistle with a double dribble. My partner comes running over blowing his whistle like crazy and over rules me saying that the ball should not have been blown dead and that my whistle should be ruled inadvertent with a throwing for team A.
Next time, tell your partner if he does that again, he'll have to dig his whistle out of his rectum. Not only is your partner wrong to even try to "over rule" you. Not only is he wrong even looking in the back court on this. He's wrong about the rule, too. I'd be willing to bet your "partner" made more than his share of calls that game.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

You were right. Your partner is a fool. It's in the Case Book, not once, but TWICE!

4.15.4 SITUATION C: After dribbling and coming to a stop, A1 throws the ball: (a) against the opponent's backboard and catches the rebound; (b) against an official, immediately recovers the ball and dribbles again; or (c) against his/her own backboard in an attempt to score (try), catches the rebound and dribbles again. RULING: A1 has violated in both (a) and (b). Throwing the ball against the opponent's backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board. In (c), the action is legal. Once the ball is released on the try, there is no player or team control, therefore, A1 can recover the rebound and begin a dribble.

DRIBBLE RULE
9.5 SITUATION: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he/she throws the ball against the opponent's backboard or an official and catches the rebound. RULING: A1 has violated. Throwing the ball against an opponent's backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board. (4-15-2; Fundamental 19)
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1. There is no rule against passing to oneself in the NFHS.
2. You have to judge whether or not the "pass" meets the definition of a legal dribble.
3. In your play above, if the ball strikes the floor before A2 catches it, then the correct call is (illegal) double dribble per 9-5.
4. In your play above, if the ball is caught in the air off the ring without striking the floor, then you need to know whether or not A2 moved her pivot foot. If not, then the play is legal because there is nothing in the rules which explicitly forbids this action; if she moved her pivot foot to a new location, then the play is an illegal dribble per 4.15.4 Sit E.

4.15.4 SITUATION E: (a) A1 tosses the ball from one hand to the other while keeping his/her pivot foot in contact with the floor; or (b) A1 throws the ball over the head of B1 and then takes several steps before catching it. RULING: Legal in (a), but an illegal dribble violation in (b). In (b), since the ball did not touch the floor, the tossing and subsequent catch is an illegal dribble. (9-5)
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
You were right. Your partner is a fool. It's in the Case Book, not once, but TWICE!

4.15.4 SITUATION C: After dribbling and coming to a stop, A1 throws the ball: (a) against the opponent's backboard and catches the rebound; (b) against an official, immediately recovers the ball and dribbles again; or (c) against his/her own backboard in an attempt to score (try), catches the rebound and dribbles again. RULING: A1 has violated in both (a) and (b). Throwing the ball against the opponent's backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board. In (c), the action is legal. Once the ball is released on the try, there is no player or team control, therefore, A1 can recover the rebound and begin a dribble.

DRIBBLE RULE
9.5 SITUATION: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he/she throws the ball against the opponent's backboard or an official and catches the rebound. RULING: A1 has violated. Throwing the ball against an opponent's backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board. (4-15-2; Fundamental 19)
I just have to make a quick comment on this one. A kid throws the ball off me, on purpose, whether he was just trying to get a new dribble or not, chances are he's on the bench the rest of the game!!
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 11:39pm
PYRef

Scenario. A1 gets an inbound pass in his backcourt in front of B's basket and is immediately trapped by B1 and B2. Without dribbling first, A1 throws the ball hard off B's backboard causing it to rebound over B1 & B2. A1 then runs around the trap and gains control of the ball without catching it and continues dribbling towards his frontcourt. Legal?
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRef
Scenario. A1 gets an inbound pass in his backcourt in front of B's basket and is immediately trapped by B1 and B2. Without dribbling first, A1 throws the ball hard off B's backboard causing it to rebound over B1 & B2. A1 then runs around the trap and gains control of the ball without catching it and continues dribbling towards his frontcourt. Legal?
Yes. That is a completely legal play.
Old Tue Feb 06, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

You need to keep in mind that - by rule - a shot at the wrong basket, "try for a goal", is not legal hence the DD conclusion.

A player cannot be fouled in the act of shooting at the wrong basket. Yes, they can be fouled but by rule there is no "credit" for attemping a shot.

Try's only apply to the correct basket.