The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Alright, here's the deal...very simple actually...

I coach a junior high basketball team. During our championship game, we went into overtime. With about 30 seconds left in the game, I substituted a player into the game. Now, this player was essentially a bench warmer and with minimal play throughout the game. Well, this player went into the game (tied at the time) and recieved an in-bounds pass and scored...in the wrong basket. The other team recieved the two points as I know they should have. But, the refs then gave the other team the ball out of bounds! I admit that I wasn't completely sure of the ruling, but in previous games the team that had just scored in the wrong basket always recieved the ball, because the other team essentially just scored. However, this time they recieved the ball. Before I had time to argue, the other team in-bounded quickly and scored a 3-pointer. We lost. Now, although I cannot go back and argue still, I was just wondering if the ref did indeed make the wrong call.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Riley1996
Alright, here's the deal...very simple actually...

I coach a junior high basketball team. During our championship game, we went into overtime. With about 30 seconds left in the game, I substituted a player into the game. Now, this player was essentially a bench warmer and with minimal play throughout the game. Well, this player went into the game (tied at the time) and recieved an in-bounds pass and scored...in the wrong basket. The other team recieved the two points as I know they should have. But, the refs then gave the other team the ball out of bounds! I admit that I wasn't completely sure of the ruling, but in previous games the team that had just scored in the wrong basket always recieved the ball, because the other team essentially just scored. However, this time they recieved the ball. Before I had time to argue, the other team in-bounded quickly and scored a 3-pointer. We lost. Now, although I cannot go back and argue still, I was just wondering if the ref did indeed make the wrong call.
Yes, the ref made the wrong call. This could have been corrected even after the "extra" basket by the other team.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
You got the dirty end of a bad call. The team that
just scored never gets the ball back, barring some
type of a foul.

BTW, I feel bad for the kid.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Why did you put a bench warmer into such a tight game?
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Let's add a twist. A situation that really happened. Game goes into overtime. Start OT with jump ball and teams should continue going the same way they ended the fourth quarter. Problem is the two jumpers are turned around, going opposite way they should. Officials don't catch it.

Team A gets the tip, goes and scores at the basket they were lined up to from the jump ball (ie, same basket they were going in the first half). B1 inbounds to B2 in backcourt, Team B coach yells at B2 to turn around and score at that same basket (realizing the jump ball error). B2 turns around a scores uncontested layup. Trail official blows his whistle after the layup, know realizing that something is obviously not right.

What do you do???????
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 07:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Riley1996

I coach a junior high basketball team.

OK - that's your first mistake

During our championship game, we went into overtime.

OK - that's the referee's first mistake - allowing an overtime.

this player went into the game (tied at the time) and recieved an in-bounds pass and scored...in the wrong basket.

OK - that's your second mistake. He should have been coached better.

The other team recieved the two points as I know they should have. But, the refs then gave the other team the ball out of bounds!

OK - that's the referee's second mistake.

I admit that I wasn't completely sure of the ruling,

OK - that's your third mistake. You should read a rulebook and know the rules.

Before I had time to argue, the other team in-bounded quickly and scored a 3-pointer.

OK - that's your fourth mistake. You should have requested a timeout for a correctable error.

Actually, I'm just teasing (except about the part where the refs allowed an overtime - this is a fate worse than death in my book). I guess everyone learned a lesson (assuming the refs somehow were notified they were wrong), it's just unfortunate your kids were penalized.
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 10:52pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by IUgrad92
Let's add a twist. A situation that really happened. Game goes into overtime. Start OT with jump ball and teams should continue going the same way they ended the fourth quarter. Problem is the two jumpers are turned around, going opposite way they should. Officials don't catch it.

Team A gets the tip, goes and scores at the basket they were lined up to from the jump ball (ie, same basket they were going in the first half). B1 inbounds to B2 in backcourt, Team B coach yells at B2 to turn around and score at that same basket (realizing the jump ball error). B2 turns around a scores uncontested layup. Trail official blows his whistle after the layup, know realizing that something is obviously not right.

What do you do???????
This is an amazing play!

What would I do?

My gosh....

Give A the ball for a throw-in.

Edit:

And point the teams in the right direction.

Mike

[Edited by JugglingReferee on Mar 1st, 2002 at 10:09 PM]
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 10:57pm
Administrator

Quote:

What do you do???????

You stop the game and get the teams going in the correct direction.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 01, 2002, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

I had to put in a bench warmer. My team only consists of 8 players, and I put in the bench warmer only because another player fouled out (2nd starter to foul out). Also, I had no timeouts. The teams only recieve one time out per overtime period, I burned mine up near the beginning after the other team went on a 6-0 run. Looking back, yes, I should have saved my time out. I KNOW I should have known the rules better...sure would have saved me some trouble. But, the ref wasn't listening to my argument anyway.

Which brings me to my next question. In the league I coach in, the coach is not permitted to stand up unless going to consult a player. What that means is that I could not very well get the referee's attention. Lets say though, that I bolted off the bench and right when I saw the ref give the ball to the girl out of bounds on the wrong team. BUT, I get the attention of the ref before the play begins and he gives me a technical. I talk to him about the error and decides in my favor. My question is, can he retract the technical?
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Had a real strange play at the start of overtime the teams were line up correctly for the jump Team A who had a 6'8 center was going to get the jump he tapped it to his guard who was in his front court the rest team A of runs towards B's basket and all of team B follows giving the guard from A a one on none break. The head coach told me after the game they had run the same play last year and it worked then to.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had to put in a bench warmer. My team only consists of 8 players, and I put in the bench warmer only because another player fouled out (2nd starter to foul out). Also, I had no timeouts. The teams only recieve one time out per overtime period, I burned mine up near the beginning after the other team went on a 6-0 run. Looking back, yes, I should have saved my time out. I KNOW I should have known the rules better...sure would have saved me some trouble. But, the ref wasn't listening to my argument anyway.

Which brings me to my next question. In the league I coach in, the coach is not permitted to stand up unless going to consult a player. What that means is that I could not very well get the referee's attention. Lets say though, that I bolted off the bench and right when I saw the ref give the ball to the girl out of bounds on the wrong team. BUT, I get the attention of the ref before the play begins and he gives me a technical. I talk to him about the error and decides in my favor. My question is, can he retract the technical?
First, you should be commended for working so hard to coach
the game inside the league rules, a lot of guys (gals)
would have blown a gasket at this point. I think you
should have gone to the table and had the timer sound the
horn to get the ref's attention. You're allowed to do this
in the case of correctable error or scoring/bookkeeping
mistakes. I don't see how this falls squarely in either
under the rules but certainly the refs were applying the
rules incorrectly by giving the ball back to your opponent.
Having said that it's anybody's guess what would have
happened anyway, it seems these refs were pretty green.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

What do you do???????

You stop the game and get the teams going in the correct direction.
Yeah, that's the easy part. Now, who gets what points?

This happened to me early on in a kid's rec game (basic
training!). My partner & I got together and decided that A
gets 4 points & B gets the ball to run the endline. Coach B
was just a bit too clever for our liking. Oh yeah, we also
turned them around.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BUT, I get the attention of the ref before the play begins and he gives me a technical. I talk to him about the error and decides in my favor. My question is, can he retract the technical? [/B]
Yes, however your guess is as good as mine if he would retract the T.
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

Yes, the ref made the wrong call. This could have been corrected even after the "extra" basket by the other team. [/B]
How and what are you going to correct?
Old Sat Mar 02, 2002, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

Yes, the ref made the wrong call. This could have been corrected even after the "extra" basket by the other team.
How and what are you going to correct? [/B]
10.1.8 -- using the "confusion" part not the "unsportsmanlike" part.