The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 08:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust

In fact, the current system favored the very groups of people you're refering to....minorities and women were represented among the tourney selections at greater numbers than thier membership in the association.
I've seen this everywhere I've lived. Female officials with 3-4 years experience are jumping ahead of eminently qualified officials with 15+ years experience and working state tournaments. I just wish state and local associations would come out and say "that's the way it is" rather than pretend it's anything but. Please don't tell me that the best officials are being picked when we know that other factors have trumped ability and experience.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 09:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I've seen this everywhere I've lived. Female officials with 3-4 years experience are jumping ahead of eminently qualified officials with 15+ years experience and working state tournaments. I just wish state and local associations would come out and say "that's the way it is" rather than pretend it's anything but. Please don't tell me that the best officials are being picked when we know that other factors have trumped ability and experience.
Everywhere I have been they say "that is the way it is." As a matter of fact tonight an assignor was talking about how he put 3 women on a varsity game and the schools involved loved it.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 04:22am
Official Forum Member

Politics, on some level, plays a role in everything that we do, from our normal jobs to this avocation. Simply put, it is easier for someone in a position in power to hire or select a commodity that is better known than it is to take a chance on someone. Assignors don't want phone calls and it is much easier for coaches and administrators to accept the veteran, a known commodity, on a big game. Therefore, it is the more prudent move, in many cases for the assignor. There is merit to assigning the veterans, they've been through the wars and proven that they can handle them. As a younger official, I realize that, and each year I work, I become a more known, reliable commodity.

In terms of moving up, the one thing that you can control is you. Do your best, study yourself and learn from others. Look at tape and be your own harshest critic. Try to understand what you need to do to get to the next level by watching the people who are already there. Figure out what the assignor wants. These are all things you can control. Also, understand your situation and do your best to put yourself in the best possible situation. If your association as a rule assigns years ahead and nobody sniffs a varsity game until 7 years in, understand that. If you want it bad enough, move to another area, otherwise accept this 7 year period as a fact of life. Ultimately, if you are flexible and want it enough, you can control your situation.

Another great point that others have made here is that when you move up, be ready to officiate at the next level. There's nothing worse than not being ready at the next level and flaming out. Also, consider the possibility that your advancement may not being hindered by an assignor, but the assignor is helping you out by making sure you're ready for the big assignment when it comes.