View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 02:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Politics is a reality of life. If it was not we probably would not have the current President that we have now for this country. I am not saying this as a political statement; I am saying that as a reality. Just like people get into colleges because their parents went there, people get all kinds of opportunities in life because they are related to or they know someone very well. Or someone might have an opportunity because they know someone very well. And if you think it does not apply to officiating, just look at the roster of the NFL, Major League Baseball and even the NBA. You would be surprised of all the officials that are working those levels have relatives or parents that worked that very league or they have powerful officiating parents who assign major D1 leagues.

That being said we also as individuals worry way too much about this issue. Most people in officiating do not get ahead simply on a political edge. Of course politics plays a role, but it is not the end all be all position. I would also say to Juulie that some of your references in my opinion sound a little out of place. No one has to help you. And if someone is telling you to continue to work hard, that does not mean they are pushing you off or not trying to help you. Not everyone is going to give detailed evaluations to yours or my liking. When I have gotten detailed evaluations, I usually had to press them to give that kind of evaluation. Also depending on your interaction, I know from experience I might not say a lot of things to your face because it would not be taken well or it would not be appropriate for that kind of evaluation. For example if you are going to a camp that is to hire people, most observers are not going to give you a lot of personal information without being asked in a one on one situation.

Let me also address this. Working a college schedule is not a guarantee that you will be able to work a HS post season game. Many times HS post season is going on at the very same time that college games are going on especially at the lower level colleges. So just because someone got a high level college post season assignment, does not mean they are available to even work. And in some circles right or wrong there are people that think people that dedicate their seasons to college should not be working HS post season games.

The problem with this discussion is there are so many dynamics to it that will change from one organization to another.

Peace