The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 07:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
The move where the dribbler grabs the ball (palms it) at the top of his dribble, holds it and hesitates before continuing the dribble.
This is a tricky one. This can not be a global problem because most HS players can't palm the ball facing down, or at least not the ones that are handling the ball. Also, hestation dribbling is not illegal. We where told that if no advantage has been gained, don't interrupt the game. When looking for palming, look for the obvisous. When it occurs, there will be no doubt, it is very clear.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 08:02am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
What about when a dribbler does a 360 degree spin move and continues his/her dribble? Would this be something we should call as palming?
If the hand stays in contact with the ball the entire time as the player spins 360 degrees, I can't see how the ball would NOT come to rest in the hand.

It is, as Jurassic said, purely judgment; but in that particular move, I don't know how the player could avoid palming the ball.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 08:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Also, hestition dribbling is not illegal.
That's not what the POE in the 2007-08 rule book says.

POE 4B-PALMING: "A definite advantage to the offensive player is gained on the hesitation 'move' to beat a defender(towards the basket or just to go by them). In many of these instances, the ball is 'coming to rest' in the dribbler's hand. A violation MUST be called by the official, as there is no way to defend against this move."

Last edited by bob jenkins; Fri Sep 14, 2007 at 11:49am.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 08:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

POE 4B-PALMING: "A definite advantage to the offensive player is gained on the hesitation 'move' to beat a defender(towards the basket or just to go by them). In many of these instances, the ball is 'coming to rest' in the dribbler's hand. A violation MUST be called by the official, as there is no way to defend against this move."

It might not be a bad idea to actually read a POE before commenting on it.
That's a pretty general and patronizing statement. To the authors, I offer. "Duh !!!"
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Palming

Of course I didn't read the minds of the person who made this a POE. However, I cannot see of think of many realistic circumstances when the ball can be palmed when the palm is facing downward. Big hands, small ball (sounds a bit personal), sure, it may be possible. But, how many Connie Hawkins are there out there?! And, he couldn't dribble to save his life (or his career). I think we see many more instances where the "old" palming is allowed (hand under the ball, especially on hesitations and crossovers).
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 12:25pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski
Of course I didn't read the minds of the person who made this a POE. However, I cannot see of think of many realistic circumstances when the ball can be palmed when the palm is facing downward. Big hands, small ball (sounds a bit personal), sure, it may be possible. But, how many Connie Hawkins are there out there?! And, he couldn't dribble to save his life (or his career). I think we see many more instances where the "old" palming is allowed (hand under the ball, especially on hesitations and crossovers).
Well, there is that very good NCAA clip of a point guard dribbling right-handed down the right side of the key to the free throw line and stops as he rolls his hand over the top of the ball [with the ball actually reversing direction at it's apex] and dribbles backward. Doesn't take a large hand to do that, only a quick hand.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 12:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Well, there is that very good NCAA clip of a point guard dribbling right-handed down the right side of the key to the free throw line and stops as he rolls his hand over the top of the ball [with the ball actually reversing direction at it's apex] and dribbles backward. Doesn't take a large hand to do that, only a quick hand.
Where is the disadvangate in that? If we called every single little insignificant thing to the game that is in the book, we really wouldn't have much of a game. Palm down palming is questionable. I would like to see some examples. I would prefer time be spent on more destructive items to the game. This is ticky-tack. Makes you wonder about the committee meeting all together. Who's on this board? What did they have for lunch? etc....
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 01:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Where is the disadvangate in that? If we called every single little insignificant thing to the game that is in the book, we really wouldn't have much of a game. Palm down palming is questionable. I would like to see some examples. I would prefer time be spent on more destructive items to the game. This is ticky-tack. Makes you wonder about the committee meeting all together. Who's on this board? What did they have for lunch? etc....
Those are rhetorical questions I presume.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 03:32pm

Quote:

I think it should be pointed out that the hesitation dribble is not illegal, but the ball coming to rest (palm up or down) along with a hesitation move is illegal, if I am understanding this correctly. If this is not right, please let me know.

I like the NCAA interp where they recommend that if the dribbler is not gaining an advangate, palming does not need to be called.

This new POE could cause some problems. Among the least, consistentcy problems with the officials and it gives losing coaches something else to complain about.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 03:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
if the dribbler is not gaining an advangate,

Is that like gaining a Watergate?
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 03:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I like the NCAA interp where they recommend that if the dribbler is not gaining an advangate, palming does not need to be called.
Where my I find that particular NCAA interpretation?
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 04:05pm

Quote:
Where my I find that particular NCAA interpretation?
You would have to go to a DI camp.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 04:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
You would have to go to a DI camp.
Um, no. If the NCAA rulesmakers issue something, they issue it to everybody. For instance, in last year's NCAA rule book, they issued a POE on Palming also. In that POE, it doesn't mention anything even remotely resembling what you stated.

What D1 camp was this said at?
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 04:16pm

Quote:
Um, no. If the NCAA rulesmakers issue something, they issue it to everybody. For instance, in last year's NCAA rule book, they issued a POE on Palming also. In that POE, it doesn't mention anything even remotely resembling what you stated.

What D1 camp was this said at?
All of the one's that I attended.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 04:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
All of the one's that I attended.

That's exactly what I thought.