The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Can anyone give me an idea of what to look for on a "carry"? I've seem some dribbling that borders on a carry.. Should I be looking at the thumb position on the ball? What are some of the things to watch?
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 05:49pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Some things I look for.

Quote:
Originally posted by dguig
Can anyone give me an idea of what to look for on a "carry"? I've seem some dribbling that borders on a carry.. Should I be looking at the thumb position on the ball? What are some of the things to watch?
Welcome to the forum, dguig.

• I look for the hand solidly under the ball (palm up)and the ball moving horizontally.
  • I look at the rhythm of the ball to see if it comes to a noticeable and total stop. (Not the law of gravity physics stop at the top of the bounce)
  • I look at an aggressive horizontal change of direction, to the side or backward, with a noticeable stop at mid bounce.

mick
    Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 05:50pm
    In Memoriam

Judgement call. It's your judgement as to whether the ball comes to rest in the dribbler's hand or not. If you think it does, then you can have either a "travel/carry/palm" or an "illegal 2nd dribble".
    Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 07:17pm
    Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Mick, I can honestly say that this is one of the best ways to determine palming I have seen. That call is hard for a young official but these items really help. I plan to print them and stick them in my notebook. Thanks.

Ken

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.
    Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 07:29pm
    In Memoriam

Red face

Quote:
    Originally posted by kgruber
    Mick, I can honestly say that this is one of the best ways to determine palming I have seen. That call is hard for a young official but these items really help. I plan to print them and stick them in my notebook. Thanks.

Ken
    Very cool, Ken !
    Thanks for that !
    mick
    Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 08:18pm
    Official Forum Member

if the hand is under the ball skyward and is being used to change direction and gains advantage, i call it.
    Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 11:36pm
    Administrator

Re: Some things I look for.

Quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    Quote:

• I look for the hand solidly under the ball (palm up)and the ball moving horizontally.
  • I look at the rhythm of the ball to see if it comes to a noticeable and total stop. (Not the law of gravity physics stop at the top of the bounce)
  • I look at an aggressive horizontal change of direction, to the side or backward, with a noticeable stop at mid bounce.

mick

• Mick:

What do you mean that the laws of physics and gravity stop at the top of the bounce?

MTD, Sr.
    Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
    International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
    Ohio High School Athletic Association
    Toledo, Ohio
    Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 07:14am
    In Memoriam

Re: Re: Some things I look for.

Quote:
    Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
    Quote:
    Quote:

mick

• Mick:

What do you mean that the laws of physics and gravity stop at the top of the bounce?

MTD, Sr.
    ...The change of direction thingy.
    Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 07:42am
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

• What do you mean that the laws of physics and gravity stop at the top of the bounce?
    ...The change of direction thingy. [/B]
    I think that MTD's esoteric point is the the law of gravity-physics starts at the top of the bounce and makes the ball go down. Or maybe to be even more correct, that the laws of gravity-physics are working all along and they make the ball go progressively slower on the way up until the ball is forced to stop and then fall back to Earth. An example might be MTD Sr. jumping on a trampoline. If the laws of gravity-physics weren't applicable, then MTD Sr. would shoot out into space on his very first jump. So........the lesson learned today is that we need to repeal the law of gravity-physics as soon as MTD Sr. climbs up on his trampoline. Agreed?

Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 08:19am
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

• What do you mean that the laws of physics and gravity stop at the top of the bounce?
    ...The change of direction thingy.
    I think that MTD's esoteric point is the the law of gravity-physics starts at the top of the bounce and makes the ball go down. Or maybe to be even more correct, that the laws of gravity-physics are working all along and they make the ball go progressively slower on the way up until the ball is forced to stop and then fall back to Earth. An example might be MTD Sr. jumping on a trampoline. If the laws of gravity-physics weren't applicable, then MTD Sr. would shoot out into space on his very first jump. So........the lesson learned today is that we need to repeal the law of gravity-physics as soon as MTD Sr. climbs up on his trampoline. Agreed?

[/B]
    Why does the ball go down?
    The world sucks.
    Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 08:33am
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    [/B]
    Why does the ball go down?
    The world sucks.
    [/B][/QUOTE]Thank you, Mr. Science.