The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Palming, POE (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/38230-palming-poe.html)

Splute Thu Sep 13, 2007 01:17pm

Palming, POE

After reading the POE regarding "palming", I am having a hard time imagining how the hand can be "facing downward" and be called palming. I understand their point regarding the ball coming to rest at anypoint in the dribble. But I am having a hard time picturing how that can happen with the palm facing downward. I realize you have the potential when the dribbler changes directions and pulls the ball across or perhaps a behind the back move that may cause the ball to rest in the hand extendedly. In these cases the palm is usually on the side of the ball. Can someone state a situation where the palm is facing downward and you would call palming? I do not consider a high dribble to be such a case. Perhaps I am just picking on the wording? thanks

mick Thu Sep 13, 2007 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splute
After reading the POE regarding "palming", I am having a hard time imagining how the hand can be "facing downward" and be called palming. I understand their point regarding the ball coming to rest at anypoint in the dribble. But I am having a hard time picturing how that can happen with the palm facing downward. I realize you have the potential when the dribbler changes directions and pulls the ball across or perhaps a behind the back move that may cause the ball to rest in the hand extendedly. In these cases the palm is usually on the side of the ball. Can someone state a situation where the palm is facing downward and you would call palming? I do not consider a high dribble to be such a case. Perhaps I am just picking on the wording? thanks

Splute,
Picture yourself dribbling a child's small basketball.
Now, picture yourself with very large hands and a regulation basketball.
Does that help? :)

Dan_ref Thu Sep 13, 2007 01:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splute
After reading the POE regarding "palming", I am having a hard time imagining how the hand can be "facing downward" and be called palming.

The move where the dribbler grabs the ball (palms it) at the top of his dribble, holds it and hesitates before continuing the dribble.

Splute Thu Sep 13, 2007 01:48pm

aaahhhh, that never crossed my mind. thanks guys!

M&M Guy Thu Sep 13, 2007 01:49pm

Splute, what word did you use in the title of this thread? Have you ever seen a good player be able to hold the ball with one hand, even when the hand is on top of the ball, facing downward? That, to me, is the essence of palming. There are many players using that skill to re-direct a dribble, where some of us need to put our hand under the ball to accomplish the same thing. It's harder to watch for, especially if you are used to just watching where the hands is on the ball, rather than what is being done with the ball.

I'm guessing this is more of an issue in the higher levels, and not with grade school or most JV ball.

M&M Guy Thu Sep 13, 2007 01:50pm

Or, what mick said. :)

Splute Thu Sep 13, 2007 01:55pm

I appreciate the detail explanation M&M. My simple mind had never considered someone being able to do that while dribbling. I see it during dunks, but never have noticed in dribbles. I think you nailed it when you state we have watched for placement of hands on the ball. I knew I had to be missing something for them to write a POE.

Jimgolf Thu Sep 13, 2007 02:05pm

Do they define "come to rest" anywhere? Technically, I suspect the ball always comes to rest on any dribble, but I didn't take physics, so I could be wrong here.

Do we count seconds, or is this "I know it when I see it"?

JugglingReferee Thu Sep 13, 2007 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Do they define "come to rest" anywhere? Technically, I suspect the ball always comes to rest on any dribble, but I didn't take physics, so I could be wrong here.

You are not wrong for the exact reason that you're thinking.

Yes, you'll know it when you see it. Just like a crackback block for you football guys.

mick Thu Sep 13, 2007 02:24pm

Quote:

I guess the *up-down* may stop, but I doubt that the lateral movement "always" stops.

Mark Dexter Thu Sep 13, 2007 05:02pm

Quote:

The velocity will often reach zero at the apex of a dribble, but it is instantaneous and we ignore it as long as the ball is being accelerated.

Nevadaref Thu Sep 13, 2007 08:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
The velocity will often reach zero at the apex of a dribble, but it is instantaneous and we ignore it as long as the ball is being accelerated.

There's our physics man! :)

Dan_ref Thu Sep 13, 2007 08:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter

To Mick's point...vertical velocity will *always* be zero at the dribble apex instantaneously. It is rarely zero in the horizontal dimension.

Just sayin'

Indianaref Fri Sep 14, 2007 06:56am

What about when a dribbler does a 360 degree spin move and continues his/her dribble? Would this be something we should call as palming?

Jurassic Referee Fri Sep 14, 2007 07:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref
What about when a dribbler does a 360 degree spin move and continues his/her dribble? Would this be something we should call as palming?

<b>Only</b> if the ball comes to <b>rest</b> during the spin move. Palming was, is, and always will be a straight judgment call. If the ball comes to rest, that ends the dribble. If the player dribbles again, that's an illegal second dribble. The official on the spot has to make that decision.