The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Lose weight before the season starts

When I went to camp earlier in the summer, I got some great feedback and advice from the evaluators. The constant theme I heard was - if you lose weight you'll get better games. So I decided to lose some weight. I went on this program called Take Shape For Life and I've lost 20 pounds in 5 weeks - on my way to 30. It's easy and fast and I have my energy back. I've also noticed that my constant knee pain since last season (patellar tendonitis) is getting a lot better with the weight off.

So if any of you guys need to drop some pounds before the season - this plan is more for people who need to lose more than 20 - this is a fast and healthy way to do it. It's not easy - you have to be committed, but if I can do it you can do it.

Here's the link to my program:

http://www.janorama.tsfl.com/
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 11:47am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Have you called Jenny yet?

Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
When I went to camp earlier in the summer, I got some great feedback and advice from the evaluators. The constant theme I heard was - if you lose weight you'll get better games. So I decided to lose some weight. I went on this program called Take Shape For Life and I've lost 20 pounds in 5 weeks - on my way to 30. It's easy and fast and I have my energy back. I've also noticed that my constant knee pain since last season (patellar tendonitis) is getting a lot better with the weight off.

So if any of you guys need to drop some pounds before the season - this plan is more for people who need to lose more than 20 - this is a fast and healthy way to do it. It's not easy - you have to be committed, but if I can do it you can do it.

Here's the link to my program:

http://www.janorama.tsfl.com/

Is this the program that Johnny Kai was on? What provisions are there for keeping the weight off long term?
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Yes this is the same program John Kai is on, but I don't go through John. There's a whole maintenance plan once you reach your goal weight where you slowly ween yourself off the program and into normal food. It just works and it's fast. The first 3 or 4 days are a struggle to adapt, but after that it's so easy. I can't wait to be able to run faster up and down the court and not have my knees screaming at me.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

I'm on Weight Watchers and working out four days a week...I hope to lose about 20-30 lbs before the season starts...
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

I've managed to lose 24 pounds now in 6 weeks. Close to my goal of 30 (although I might go down another 5 after that). I haven't even started running yet - fall league should start in anothe month or so. I am doing sit-ups and push-ups, though. There's still plenty of time for people to lose this much weight if you need to.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Well I've done it - lost 30 pounds in less than 8 weeks. I still might try and lose another 5, but what a difference it's already made. I am down 2 pants sizes (gotta buy some new ref pants) and my knees feel 100% better - the tendonitis is gone. There's still time for you to lose weight before the season starts. PM me if you want more info. It's going to feel so good running up and down the court with 30 pounds less of a load.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 12:27pm

Don't need no fanzy program to lose weight, just quite eating, simple. Like they say, just say NO... at the table.

Or perhaps you prefer the police interp, Step away from the table, put your hands up in the air and step away from the table.

I find life amazing in the sense that we have all these great restuarants, but we really can't frequent them that often or you will lose that slim figure. As I grow older, I see that eating is a bad habit. Assigners, right or wrong consider you out of shape if you have a few extra pounds on you. So basically what they want is for you not to eat. Not a good place to be if you are an older American. I am trying to balance looking like I'm in good shape and enjoying the rest of my life and it is a constant struggle, especially if you don't have the quality assignments to inspire you to step away from the table. You might find this stupid but if you never start a bad habit, you never have to stop.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Nope, you certainly don't need to go on a plan to lose weight. But some of us need that structure to stick with it and make it work. I don't have the patience to look at food labels and count calories and carbs for everything I eat. It's great if you can lose weight on your own, and certainly cheaper.

I was told at camp I'd get better games if I lost weight. So I did. However I got here, it feels great and my knees no longer hurt. It was worth every penny.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
just quite eating, simple
If you mean quit, that's the worst thing you can do. Undereating eventually leads to overeating. Plus, it slows the body's metabolism down and your fat burning goes to zero.

Frequent, healthy meals are the answer. The problem for many of us is our game schedule makes that tough. I don't like to eat before games, but I've made myself eat a light lunch followed by a light snack a couple of hours before the game. I'm still hungry afterwards, but it isn't like I went from lunch to 10:00pm without eating -- as I've done in the past.

You can eat all the vegis you want. Calories in those foods are next to nothing. Fill up on broccoli even if you have to dip it in a little ranch.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 07:48pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
If you mean quit, that's the worst thing you can do.
Are you kidding? Quitting would be the best thing for Old School to do. Oh. You were talking about eating? I thought we were talking about officiating. Never mind.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Are you kidding? Quitting would be the best thing for Old School to do. Oh. You were talking about eating? I thought we were talking about officiating. Never mind.
Good one, Scrap-meister!!
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
If you mean quit, that's the worst thing you can do. Undereating eventually leads to overeating. Plus, it slows the body's metabolism down and your fat burning goes to zero..
Disagree, and here's why. Your fat burning and metabolism is going to slow down with age. So, if you continue to eat like you did when you where young and athletic, you're going to have some problems.

Quote:
Frequent, healthy meals are the answer.
I don't know if I agree with this either. If you eat healthy meals frequently, like after a evening game, you're still in the same boat. It's the frequent part I have a problem with which is why I suggest to break the habit altogether. Eating is a habit that we all feel we need to do, over and over. We don't need to eat near as much as we do. To break it down for you, it's overeating is the problem. To make it more simple, stop the eating habit. It is a bad habit and when your career rests on your appearance. You're going to have to let something go. Step away from the table! Just say NO to drugs and food.

To be truthful, there's only so much brocoli I can take in a day but the more of this type of food, the better. If you're going to eat after 8pm, try to just make it a salad meal. I now have the pizza under control, now all i have to do is break the Burger Kings and KFC's and I'm in control. That dollar double cheeseburger is hard to pass on when i'm hungry.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
If you're going to eat after 8pm,
That worked for me. I stopped eating anything after 6 p.m.....lost 20 lbs. I was so proud of myself, I gained it back. Pizza and Burger King at 5:59 didn't help!
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 01:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
That worked for me. I stopped eating anything after 6 p.m.....lost 20 lbs. I was so proud of myself, I gained it back. Pizza and Burger King at 5:59 didn't help!
ROTFLMAO!