The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 02, 2001, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TB
I'm confused (my wife will agree with that) on the bat weight rule. The rule states "A bat shall not weigh, numerically, more than three ounces less than the length of the bat (e.g.; a 33-inch-long bat cannot be less than 30 ounces)

Isn't the example contradictory to the rule? Shouldn't it say "cannot be MORE than 30 ounces" or am I reading something into this?
Old Wed May 02, 2001, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TB
I'm confused (my wife will agree with that) on the bat weight rule. The rule states "A bat shall not weigh, numerically, more than three ounces less than the length of the bat (e.g.; a 33-inch-long bat cannot be less than 30 ounces)

Isn't the example contradictory to the rule? Shouldn't it say "cannot be MORE than 30 ounces" or am I reading something into this?
The rule is to prevent bats that are too light. A 33" bat can weigh 30 oz. or more. The wording in the example is correct.

THe word "more" in the rule applies only to "three ounces" not to "three ounces less than the weight of the bat"
Old Wed May 02, 2001, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

The bat can be heavier than -3, but not less. Example, a bat cann be 33 inches and 30 ounces, not 33 inches and 29 or less ounces.

Don't forget the barrel is now 2 5/8".
Old Wed May 02, 2001, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BenGilli
PAblue87
The bat can be heavier than -3, but not less. Example, a bat cann be 33 inches and 30 ounces, not 33 inches and 29 or less ounces

That is unless you live in NY... where they haven't yet adopted the -3 ratio and are still using the -5
Old Wed May 02, 2001, 11:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question Home Runs

Has anyone noticed that there is not as many home runs this year, or is that just me that thinks the ball has not flown out the park as much?
Old Thu May 03, 2001, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
Talking I thought ....

I could have sworn that last year's Tee was juiced !!!!

>:-)
Old Thu May 03, 2001, 10:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink funny

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Has anyone noticed that there is not as many home runs this year, or is that just me that thinks the ball has not flown out the park as much?
It's the type of ball that you work. T-ballers can't hit it out of the park.

So I guess that $200 and so dollars that I am going to get doing T-ball today is going to be worth it? You probably do not know what it is like to work in the middle of the afternoon do you? What college are you umpiring today? You probably have to ask your boss if you can get off work to umpire. Stick to your complicated life and enjoy your Babe Ruth, LL or Legion ball that you love so much to do. I bet your family is so proud.

Peace
Old Thu May 03, 2001, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Red face You Moved Up???

WOW!!!

Rut, when did this happen...all you've ever done is brag about your Varsity schedule....you sure have kept this a secret until today!!! A braggart like yourself would never have kept this quiet. So what conference are you working?? Let us know...this would be easy to check bud.

Will

PS. A Legion Game down here is better baseball than a lot of college....
Old Thu May 03, 2001, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Hey HHH

One of my LL players is at George Washington - Greg Conden - RHP - #33 on the program.

Have you seen him throw or don't you follow the names?
Old Thu May 03, 2001, 07:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: funny

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

What college are you umpiring today?

Peace
Last night I worked University of Maryland vs. Towson State. It went 11 innings with Towson winning 7-6. Yes, I have to ask my boss for time off. I am happy to have a job and someone who will hire me. Being self employed is great except when one is forced to become self employed because no one will hire him. Who would we know in that situation?

Self employed make more money than people that are employers all the time. Ask people that make six figures and see what company they work for as an employee. But you would probably not know a thing about that, you have a boss.
Old Thu May 03, 2001, 08:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Re: Did not have to move up.

Quote:
Originally posted by badbamaump
WOW!!!

Rut, when did this happen...all you've ever done is brag about your Varsity schedule....you sure have kept this a secret until today!!! A braggart like yourself would never have kept this quiet. So what conference are you working?? Let us know...this would be easy to check bud.

Will

PS. A Legion Game down here is better baseball than a lot of college....

Did not have to move up, I have always been there. And brag about what, baseball?? Baseball?? Are we talking about baseball? All you have to do is get asked. It is not like BASEBALL is such a sport that individuals are jumping over each other to be apart of. And if you had to ask me about what conference, then you really do not know much about college baseball at all.

PS. While you are out in the hot sun during the summer getting paid peanuts and doing a Legion game all by yourself, not know when you are going to leave, I am inside calling another game that you do not have to be fat officiate. As a matter of fact, if you are fat, you are most likely not going to be asked to do it. Sorry, is that bragging?

Peace.
Old Thu May 03, 2001, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

OK,

On the Rut-O-Meter this one ranks a "10"

Pure Rut, guys just keep score with this guy.
Old Fri May 04, 2001, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Red face

Rut,
You've always been a "college umpire"?? But, now this is what confuses me, you brag about your "varsity" schedules. Hmmmmmm, now I may be just a po ole country boy, but in my neck of the woods, "college" outranks "varsity"...maybe not up there.

You say that if I'm asking what conference you're in, I don't know much about college baseball??? HUH?

Down here, Legion baseball pays almost as much as college. To be in the Legion association that I'm in, you must be a real college umpire.... you know, like in a conference.. We don't work by ourselves, sometimes we even work with more than 2 umpires on the field....

Ohhhh I think I got it now Rut, you work college VARSITY.....ahhh or maybe college intermural baseball between all them frat kids and stuff.... Rut that doesn't make you a college umpire....

And as far as being fat....boy, you dam sure don't know me....lol

Will
Old Fri May 04, 2001, 11:46am
Do not give a damn!!

College umpires

Quote:
Originally posted by badbamaump
Rut,
You've always been a "college umpire"?? But, now this is what confuses me, you brag about your "varsity" schedules. Hmmmmmm, now I may be just a po ole country boy, but in my neck of the woods, "college" outranks "varsity"...maybe not up there.

You say that if I'm asking what conference you're in, I don't know much about college baseball??? HUH?

Down here, Legion baseball pays almost as much as college. To be in the Legion association that I'm in, you must be a real college umpire.... you know, like in a conference.. We don't work by ourselves, sometimes we even work with more than 2 umpires on the field....

Ohhhh I think I got it now Rut, you work college VARSITY.....ahhh or maybe college intermural baseball between all them frat kids and stuff.... Rut that doesn't make you a college umpire....

And as far as being fat....boy, you dam sure don't know me....lol

Will
That is why you are ignit and do not understand how college baseball works. Most umpires that do college, do not just do college only. Even D1 umpires do not just do college (at least in my area and state). If they did, they would hardly work ever. And if you understood anything about college baseball, many college baseball umpires do not work for just conferences. Unless you are doing the Big 10 or the Big 12 which have huge bugets which pay you $300 and up a game you might not travel that far from home. Conferences like the Missouri Valley or the Mid-Con, or other smaller college ball around here, you do not get all those games thru the conference or one person. Bradley and Illinois State are in the MVC and I have known several individuals with all kinds of experience do both those schools (both in the middle of Illinois) and do not work the other schools in the conference. And if you work in the Mid-Con, and you do Western Illinois University, you might not want to go to Buffalo University (in NY state) and do a game. Is there assignors in that conference, yes there is. But the reality is that depending on how spread out a conference is, you will often find that umpires are only doing schools within a certain distance of where they are. Most college games are in the middle of the afternoon on a work week. You are not going to find too many people willing to sacrafice their jobs in order to make a couple hundred dollars.

And about my varsity schedule, there is nothing to brag about. I got a varsity schedule by basically answering what levels I have done ever since I moved up to the Chicago area. I was given the games to fill much needed spaces. But when the phone rings from the assignors that I do baseball for, they only ask me to do varsity games. Now if that is bragging, only people that look at baseball as a big deal like yourself take offense to that. Baseball is not a very popular sport at all among people who desire to officiate. In Illinois we are losing umpires all the time to softball because it is faster and easier to do. And as I have said before, when I do a varsity game, I am usually the senior umpire. I either work with guys that have been doing 15 years or so, or you work with a guy that is in his first or second year. Baseball, Softball, volleyball, Track and Field and Wrestling are all sports that if you decide to do them, you will have to do "varsity" in your first or second year. We do not have the numbers in those sports to warrant to require experience or talent to always do the highest of levels. These sports are not Basketball and Football. And yes I do varsity in those sports, but that is another discussion. Sorry if you precieve that as bragging. I would be bragging if I told you what game, how good the game was, what officials I had work with, what I had to do to get that big game.

I guess for individuals that do Legion ball, doing a varsity game is bragging. And do not let me go there about Legion ball. Because if I tell you how I have done some Legion ball, you might precieve that as bragging too. I have done JV games that were better than many varsity games, so personally who cares what level it is as long as you enjoy it.

Peace

[Edited by JRutledge on May 4th, 2001 at 11:49 AM]
Old Fri May 04, 2001, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Rut, Rut, Rut....

I think I understand how college umpiring works bud...

But the sudden revelation that you're a college umpire shocks those of us will a memory..... you constantly harp on the fact that you only call FED rules... I'll leave the rest of this for anyone else to figure out for themselves..

In the words of a respected, retired umpire...

You tire me.

Will