The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Last night, working a doubleheader- 2 man- (Frosh, JV boys) In the frosh game my partner who was the lead calls a foul on white (there was only one white jersey #30 in the paint and he was their star player), as my partner passes me I tell him that is the fifth foul on #30 -since I had given him the previous four. He reports to the table that the foul was on #24- I am in total shock I can't believe that he just did that! (The JV coach for the home team (white) was keeping the book for this game and he knew exactly what he (my partner) has done.) After the game, I confronted him (my partner) in the AD's office about what he did and he gives me some lame brain excuse. I admonish him and now I have to go back and work the JV game with him. A few minutes into the JV game, I was the trail and my partner was the lead the JV coach for the white team which is the home team- remember he's the one that kept the book for the frosh game and is fully aware of what went on in that game- jumps up from the bench and screams, "They (the blue team) just threw an elbow at my player. If they (the officials) are not going to call throwing elbows, then you throw elbows." At that moment, the blue team calls a thirty second TO. You could hear a pin drop in the gym (about three hundred people in the stands). I am standing right in front of the table and in a loud, booming voice that everyone could hear, I tell the white team coach if he makes one more remark like that I will eject him from the game. The game goes on without incident and just before the half our association assessor arrives at the game. At the half, the white team coach comes out to the center circle where I am standing alone and apologizes to me. He said he knows me and that if I had seen it, I would have made the call. He tells me that it is my partner that didn't make the call (remember, he (the JV coach) was doing the book in the earlier game when my partner reported the incorrect foul.) My partner and I meet with our assessor in the AD's office and he (the assessor)asks why the coach was at center court. My partner tells the assessor that we had a problem with a team throwing elbows and that he (my partner) took care of it by announcing to the coach that he (my partner) would eject him (the white team coach) if he had another outburst (My partner never said a word during the entire incident). I was totally flabbergasted- and just bit my tongue. I know-I know what you are going to say, but I have had some issues (similar to this) in the past with this association (this is my first year back, it's a logistics thing) and when I reported them to the assignor, it had a negative effect on my schedule. Why do you think I am doing a Frosh, JV game on a Friday night? A lose, lose situation.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps you are working frosh/JV because you are admonishing your partner for something that you contributed to. Did you ever stop to think that your, "That's five on #30," had an impact on him calling it on a different player?

You also warned by threatening, which is a no-no.

You also allowed the coach to use the old divide and conquer bit on you at half court.

I think you are the reason you are doing Frosh/JV on a Friday night.

Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

I know we all want to do top games, but I'm tired of listening to people whine about doing Frosh/JV games. Whats wrong with these games? If you don't want to officiate them, then don't. On Friday nights I do these types of games and then stay and watch the varsity game. I learn alot by watching. When the time comes for me to do varsity, I'll be much better prepared. You make it sound as if doing a Frosh/JV game is a bad thing. Blindzebra is right, you're the reason your doing these games.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

When I started officiating 5 seasons ago, I was given the advice to take any and all games that was offered me. I still have that philosophy to a great degree. Now, however, I can be a bit more selective of which games I choose. I've found that the basis for my selection is often not the level, but the location (how far) and the host school (A.D., crowd, etc...).

Just this week I worked Junior High boys on Monday, High School Varsity on Tuesday, Junior High boys on Thursday, and Fresh, JV on Friday.

I just feel blessed to be getting paid for something that I love to do. Even when I'm not working a game, I usually try and go watch one of my church members kids play somewhere.

Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Last night, working a doubleheader- 2 man- (Frosh, JV boys) In the frosh game my partner who was the lead calls a foul on white (there was only one white jersey #30 in the paint and he was their star player), as my partner passes me I tell him that is the fifth foul on #30 -since I had given him the previous four. He reports to the table that the foul was on #24- I am in total shock I can't believe that he just did that! (The JV coach for the home team (white) was keeping the book for this game and he knew exactly what he (my partner) has done.) After the game, I confronted him (my partner) in the AD's office about what he did and he gives me some lame brain excuse. I admonish him and now I have to go back and work the JV game with him. A few minutes into the JV game, I was the trail and my partner was the lead the JV coach for the white team which is the home team- remember he's the one that kept the book for the frosh game and is fully aware of what went on in that game- jumps up from the bench and screams, "They (the blue team) just threw an elbow at my player. If they (the officials) are not going to call throwing elbows, then you throw elbows." At that moment, the blue team calls a thirty second TO. You could hear a pin drop in the gym (about three hundred people in the stands). I am standing right in front of the table and in a loud, booming voice that everyone could hear, I tell the white team coach if he makes one more remark like that I will eject him from the game. The game goes on without incident and just before the half our association assessor arrives at the game. At the half, the white team coach comes out to the center circle where I am standing alone and apologizes to me. He said he knows me and that if I had seen it, I would have made the call. He tells me that it is my partner that didn't make the call (remember, he (the JV coach) was doing the book in the earlier game when my partner reported the incorrect foul.) My partner and I meet with our assessor in the AD's office and he (the assessor)asks why the coach was at center court. My partner tells the assessor that we had a problem with a team throwing elbows and that he (my partner) took care of it by announcing to the coach that he (my partner) would eject him (the white team coach) if he had another outburst (My partner never said a word during the entire incident). I was totally flabbergasted- and just bit my tongue. I know-I know what you are going to say, but I have had some issues (similar to this) in the past with this association (this is my first year back, it's a logistics thing) and when I reported them to the assignor, it had a negative effect on my schedule. Why do you think I am doing a Frosh, JV game on a Friday night? A lose, lose situation.
Willie -- I think if I were you, I'd scope out the association overall, and find someone who can give you some political advice. Pragmatic, big-picture advice. If your association wants you to do the "keep the star in the game" thing, then you've got a choice to make. Either you do it, or you don't get the good games. That may not be a good way to run an association, but it's what you've got to work with. If you've got a decent association, and somehow you've run afoul of the assignor, you're going to have to find a way to mend some fences. This partner you had sounds like a crum-bum, but if the assignor's on his side, you're basically screwed. You've got to either swallow it, or find another association. But if you are in that position, there are probably others who have been there, and you should find them, and figure out how they've managed.