The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 10:21pm
In Memoriam

At a Trainers' training last weekend with the emphasis on evaluations, a Big 10 football official said they get weighed at the beginning of the season, they get weighed later in the season, and an official should not have gained any poundage, or a penalty will be imposed.
There is no sense of humor involved.
Anyone have similar information?
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
At a Trainers' training last weekend with the emphasis on evaluations, a Big 10 football official said they get weighed at the beginning of the season, they get weighed later in the season, and an official should not have gained any poundage, or a penalty will be imposed.
Well, I'm OK. I lost a few between Nov & Feb, then gained
about 10 in the last month. It's gonna kill me to get them
off. Sigh.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Well, I'm OK. I lost a few between Nov & Feb, then gained about 10 in the last month. It's gonna kill me to get them off. Sigh.
March is a b!tch!
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Quote:
I agree with that theory.

Our last Association Pres. preached that in order to officiate athletes, you need to look like an athlete.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Talking

If thats the case, can I officiate b-ball will looking like a sumo-wrestler. They are athletes!!
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by co2ice

If thats the case, can I officiate b-ball will looking like a sumo-wrestler. They are athletes!!
Good call!
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Well, I'm OK. I lost a few between Nov & Feb, then gained about 10 in the last month. It's gonna kill me to get them off. Sigh.
March is a b!tch!
March is fine, it's April/May when I suffer!
When's lunch...man I'm hungry...maybe I'll have an
extra piece of celery.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's why I always put a couple of lead weights in my pockets during the weigh-in.

Of course, the way I run, it looks like I'm carrying them all season long.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 11:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I would rather gain.

Quote:
I am in better shape now, then I am was during HS. I somehow gained 20 or so pounds in the past year, but I am in much greater shape now. Go figure.

And because I do baseball in the fall, and many camps during the summer, I tend to lose more weight during those times. I do not know why, I just seem to. I would love to gain 20 pounds, but 20 pounds of musle. I just feel I am too small. But that is my opinion.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 12:09pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Re: I would rather gain.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
I am in better shape now, then I am was during HS. I somehow gained 20 or so pounds in the past year, but I am in much greater shape now. Go figure.

And because I do baseball in the fall, and many camps during the summer, I tend to lose more weight during those times. I do not know why, I just seem to. I would love to gain 20 pounds, but 20 pounds of musle. I just feel I am too small. But that is my opinion.

Peace
Rut,
Well, you're built for speed, obviously.
There' runnin' weight and fightin' weight.
I'm at talkin' weight.

I still need your E-dress.
mick
[email protected]
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 12:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
March is a b!tch!
March is fine, it's April/May when I suffer!
When's lunch...man I'm hungry...maybe I'll have an
extra piece of celery.
A little advise from a veteran---ditch the celery,replace it with a few brownpops,and then go out a buy a new striped shirt that is a size bigger.
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 12:31pm
9 times

I have never understood why so many refs feel the need to "get into shape for the season." This whole line of thinking means that you get out of shape at some point in the offseason. I have found that it is much easier to stay in shape for the whole year and not worry about the beginning of the season.

It may suck for those who are not used to it, but I believe in watching what I eat, lifting weights 3x per week and aeorbically exercising the other 3 days of the week. I'm not a "fitness freak", but my weight stays steady and I don't have to do anything special for the beginning of the season.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 12:58pm
In Memoriam

What? ...us worry?

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
I have never understood why so many refs feel the need to "get into shape for the season."
stripes,
I quit playing football, and I left the 32" waist.
I turned 50 and left the 34" waist.
If I leave 36" (going the wrong way)... well, then I am just leavin'.
It's really easy to not be to worried about weight, especially when yer not dating anymore.
Now, for those young guys above talking about 10# here and 5# there, they could be in much better shape at 10#+ then others that are very happy where they are.
Just because officials are concerned with their weight doesn't mean they don't look darn good doing what they do.
mick
Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Stripes, you have the right idea...
I too keep in shape year around. A recent over-use injury has side lined me for a few weeks. Although it's my mind playing tricks, I feel like I'm losing my fitness every day I don't start running again. I'm also finding it harder to motivate myself too. Having just moved to a large university town, I'm sure the scenery will entice me back onto the pavement

Old Thu Apr 11, 2002, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
I have never understood why so many refs feel the need to "get into shape for the season." This whole line of thinking means that you get out of shape at some point in the offseason. I have found that it is much easier to stay in shape for the whole year and not worry about the beginning of the season.

It may suck for those who are not used to it, but I believe in watching what I eat, lifting weights 3x per week and aeorbically exercising the other 3 days of the week. I'm not a "fitness freak", but my weight stays steady and I don't have to do anything special for the beginning of the season.
Well, I don't see anybody here talking about getting in
shape for the season (which is still 8 months away), and
I'm the only one saying I need to drop a few, which is not
to say that I'm "out of shape". I won't bore you with my
excersize routine but believe me it's pretty intense &
comprehensive - in fact I usually gain a few in December
because I'm too busy working basketball to do my normal workout, then I level out & finally drop a few by the end of
February. But I said I wouldn't bore you so I won't.