The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
http://sports.excite.com/news/01082002/v5809.html

Here is the story that deals with the latest of this bozo's antics.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't watched a ballet game since the '98 finals. Out of curiosity, has the level of officiating gone down hill? You read a lot about the stuff shaq "gets away" with, same as MJ 10 years ago, so you have to take that with a grain of salt, but is the quality still there?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2002, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I haven't watched a ballet game since the '98 finals. Out of curiosity, has the level of officiating gone down hill? You read a lot about the stuff shaq "gets away" with, same as MJ 10 years ago, so you have to take that with a grain of salt, but is the quality still there?
I don't watch the NBA either. I'm sure the officials are doing a fine job, but in this business if anyone is put under the microscope, I'm sure faults can be found.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Mark Cuban

The quality of officiating in the NBA is still outstanding and just continues to get better. Cuban's comments are unfounded. The staff is under a microscope and has constant checks and balances with effort to train, educate, continually improve, and to self-evaluate. Cuban is just trying to get attention and sell tickets. This time it cost him 500,000 to do it. Maybe he'll learn.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

this fine may have cost him 1/2 mill., but he will profit from it in revenue. people love conreversey and many people think the nba officials are exactly what Cuban says they are. the nba may need to think of other ways to penalize cuban besides monetarily because taking away Cubans money does not seem like a deterrent from bad behavior.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim Armstrong
One of Cuban's big complaints the other night in the Mavs, Spurs game, was that Tim Duncan travelled at least 10 times in the game without it being called. Of course he didn't say anything about the fact that Duncan fouled out of the game with about 2 or 3 minutes left, during the most crucial part of the game. I'm a big Mavericks fan, since I live in the Dallas area, but this guy really gets on my nerves. What he needs to realize is that his guys get away with just as much stuff as the other guys. Cuban has a staff of guys that he pays to chart every call by the officials in every game, then he sends his own personal report to the league after every game, about how many calls were missed. Unbelievable.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
... many people think the nba officials are exactly what Cuban says they are. the nba may need to think of other ways to penalize cuban besides monetarily because taking away Cubans money does not seem like a deterrent from bad behavior.
Since I have started officiating I have discovered how good the NBA guys are. That said, I hope you are not saying that there is not a "Star System" in that league. Nobody is going to convince me that players like MJ, Shaq, Kobe, Robinson, etc. don't get away with a lot (just like the brass wants them too - not the officials fault). To a certain extent I think Star Ball should stay, but be controlled. Nobody wants to see the studs in the league fouling out, but let's be realistic. Being from the Dallas area, the Mavericks of last year are a good example. The beginning of the year they couldn't buy a call, as the year progressed and they "earned their keep" it appeared that more of the calls that could have gone either way went their way. It is tough for a fan to enjoy the games when they feel their team is "getting jobbed" (and the fan is VERY important in this equation). It may not be true in fact, but is just their perception. But guess what, perception is reality. I may get blasted for these comments, but I'm a big boy and promise not to take offense.

As for taking money from Cuban, this guy made more than $500,000 since the moment the fine was handed down. Besides, I think he came out with his statement that most of the fine is going to Cancer Research in the name of Mrs. Nelson (who is starting her own fight with cancer after Don's fight last year). That PR move alone was worth 500k in advertising.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Mark Cuban

As far as the star treatment goes, Those guys are evaluated and have to watch their own films as a crew and grade themselves on how they handled each game. I don't believe an individual would last too long if they favored certain teams or players. That goes totally against what officials are all about and their job.
However, I do realize the NBA is a game of entertainment for fans and players. Are they relaxed on certain rules? YES. All fans wonder why travels are never called. First, because in the NBA a player is allowed a "two step rhythm." This is terminology in their rules, interpretations and case books plays. As such, traveling calls are much more relaxed due to this interpretation and because it is a game of entertainment.
However, I don't think fouls are passed because a certain player committed it. Nor do I think certain players get calls that aren't deserved. The game film never lies. Tape a game of yourself, you'll understand. Be your own worse critic and then you'll be doing what those guys do on a nightly basis after their games are finished.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Quote:
Originally posted by crew
... many people think the nba officials are exactly what Cuban says they are. the nba may need to think of other ways to penalize cuban besides monetarily because taking away Cubans money does not seem like a deterrent from bad behavior.
Since I have started officiating I have discovered how good the NBA guys are. That said, I hope you are not saying that there is not a "Star System" in that league. Nobody is going to convince me that players like MJ, Shaq, Kobe, Robinson, etc. don't get away with a lot (just like the brass wants them too - not the officials fault). To a certain extent I think Star Ball should stay, but be controlled. Nobody wants to see the studs in the league fouling out, but let's be realistic. Being from the Dallas area, the Mavericks of last year are a good example. The beginning of the year they couldn't buy a call, as the year progressed and they "earned their keep" it appeared that more of the calls that could have gone either way went their way. It is tough for a fan to enjoy the games when they feel their team is "getting jobbed" (and the fan is VERY important in this equation). It may not be true in fact, but is just their perception. But guess what, perception is reality. I may get blasted for these comments, but I'm a big boy and promise not to take offense.

Hey Larry, this is pure fan-speak. What do you mean the
Mavs couldn't buy a call? What do you mean calls were going
their way after they earned their keep? Perception is
reality? How about if Mark Cuban makes a statement
that the refs have nothing to do with his team's lack of
success. You think that would change the current
perception? Maybe a little? Anyway my take on this is
that Mark Cuban will eventually learn to keep his mouth shut
or he'll disappear. I doubt the NBA wants owners to
have their advertising centered on how biased the refs
are.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

Hey Larry, this is pure fan-speak. What do you mean the
Mavs couldn't buy a call? What do you mean calls were going
their way after they earned their keep? Perception is
reality? How about if Mark Cuban makes a statement
that the refs have nothing to do with his team's lack of
success. You think that would change the current
perception? Maybe a little? Anyway my take on this is
that Mark Cuban will eventually learn to keep his mouth shut
or he'll disappear. I doubt the NBA wants owners to
have their advertising centered on how biased the refs
are. [/B][/QUOTE]

Dan,
You need to remember when the season started last year I was only a fan. I also said the NBA officials are the best there is, which in hind sight may not be true because there may be better officials who have no desire to call the pro game. Before anyone ask; no I cannot name specific instances of early season and late season calls. But you only have to had watch the games to see Mav players not get called for something in the late season games (when they were in the playoff hunt) that was called in the early season games. Were they better? Maybe. Was it a different crew with different philosophies? Probably. Did they have a better view than a guy watching on TV? ABSO-DAMN-LUTELY!!!

I stand by my comment that perception is reality. If a group of people thinks you're a jerk...you're a jerk to them. If a group of people thinks you're fair and above reproach...you're fair and above reproach to them. If a group of people thinks the league "protects" certain players...they do to that group of people. I does not matter what the facts are. The league (or the individual) needs to figure out how to correct their erroneous perception (if they value that group). That is true in basketball, business, politics and life. Why do you think some people love Bill Clinton and some hate him? Perception. Why do some think Bush stole the election and others think Gore tried to steal the election? Perception. You could also call it bias.

As for making Cuban disappear, when was the last time the league stripped the owner of a franchise? I don't see him selling anytime soon. If he "disappears", my guess would be that 50% of the disinterested observers of the NBA would instantly become "convinced" that Cuban was right and they had to shut him up.

By the way, the Mavericks are having HUGE success compared to the last 10 years. I think Cuban is happy for this year. I also think you will see him "clean up". It only took the other Dallas owner (the one from Arkansas) a short period of time before he hired a PR firm to help him. Trouble is he fired them and won't hire them back.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Mark Cuban

I agree that most of the time perception is reality. However, in this case 1 owner out of 30 is complaining (I think their are 30 or 31 teams, can't remember). So, there isn't a group, just an individual. His credibiity has dropped due to his stunts and outlandish comments, so why should the league look into it??
Anyways, the league analyized officials calls and here were the numbers, don't quote me on the exact ones. NBA Officials calls (not non-calls) were somewhere about 94% correct last year(they are shooting for higher this year). And if I remember right, that have about .5 tenths of a second to make a decision on the call.
Anyways, thought I would give some additional info on the subject, for what it's worth.

The conspiracy theories will always exist (ie NBC needs another game for the ratings and money so they need a certain team to win or lose the game to put it into game 5, 6, or even 7) When I hear this, that is a fan talking and it is a ridiculous comment.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 04:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

If refs like Earl Strom, Jake O'Donnell and Richie Powers were still around, Mr. Cuban might wake up one morning with a horse's head in his bed.

Whine, whine, whine. Like the Fabulous Sports Babe would say: if you don't like the officiating, score more points.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

when you make the statement that, "nba officials use the star system of officiating." this is a very strong statement. you are now stepping on the integrity of the hardest working officials in the world. the daily regiment of nba officials is very long-strenuous-and mentally difficult. these guys spend hours a day reviewing game tape watching web plays and taking tests on their website. they are even fined by the league office for missing a rule. do nba guys miss plays? certainly, for they are not perfect. i have had the plaesure of watching a post game tape with nba officials. most people would break down and cry to hear the things they say to themselves when they miss a play. they are very hard on themselves.

i believe that i have become a better official by watching numerous nba games as well as nc2a games. these guys are there for a reason-they are very good. and when you criticize them ask yourself 2 questions: why are they where they are? and, why am i where i am?

officiating is more than getting plays correct. it is game management, dealing with hostile coaches and players, and constant criticism from fans, coaches, players, and worst of all fellow officials.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

bbarnaky- there are 29 teams.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

BBarnaky,
You don't need to convince me the officials have a hard job given the speed of the game. And, as I stated, to a certain extent I like the "star system" that may or may not exist.

I had a professor tell me in my marketing class that for every complaint you hear, there are a hundred you don't hear so take every one seriously. Obviously there can't be 100 owners complaining but I bet if they were all honest, many would agree with at least part of what he has been saying the last year and half. Also, how many fans agree with him? They are the group to which I was referring.

I don't doubt that the calls the refs make are right 94% of the time (in fact I would have guessed a higher percentage). I think if you read Cuban's comments it is the non-calls that have him upset. Does he whine? HELL YES! Could he have a point? You betcha. Is it the most important problem the league needs to address? Nope. Could the games be called better? Don't know. Why not look into it and see if some tweeking will help?

Padgett also has a great point, the Mavericks need to be good enough to overcome the "bad officiating" if they ever want to have one of those trophies with the basketball on top.