The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
As I've mentioned a couple times, I live and officiate in Western Massachusetts. I'm close to Springfield, which many of you probably know is the "Birthplace of Basketball". One of the nice things about being here is that I'm close to the Basketball Hall of Fame. I've visited several times and as an official, I get some benefits for being involved with the Hall.

This year, our association's banquet will be held at the HOF and we will be given a private tour of the new HOF building being erected next to the current Hall. I think that will be interesting.

But even more fun is the fact that the HOF is sponsoring a HS tournament in Springfield this weekend. They're bringing in really BIG high school teams from other areas of the country and it should be very exciting basketball. We'll get to see DeMatha (from MD, I think) and Morgan Wootten, among others.

Even MORE exciting yet, is that I've just been asked to officiate one of the "lower tier" games. I won't get to do DeMatha (darn), but I will work a game between two of our New England prep schools that should be better than any of the public high school games in my area.

If you'd like to get a listing of the teams playing, or to learn more about the HOF, go to their official website:

www.hoophall.com

Chuck
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I think Morgan always has his own refs, so he wouldn't know you well enough for you to do DeMatha
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I think Morgan always has his own refs, so he wouldn't know you well enough for you to do DeMatha
Well, maybe if Chuck bought a few books, at retail. And
slipped in an extra $20.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a good team list!

I'm familiar with Prince Tech (which I believe my HS team beat either last year or the year before) and the NFA (Norwich Free Academy) Girls' team - a very good and very well-respected team.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 01:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Last summer, my wife and I were planning a vacation to the East (as most of you know, I live in the Pacific Northwest). She asked me where I wanted to go. I told her I wanted to visit Springfield, Cooperstown and Canton. I'm sure all of you can figure it out. I thought we could also visit historic sites in Philadelphia, New York and Washington D.C. and it sounded like a great time to me.

Of course, my wife thought I was nuts. She wanted to go only to New York because that is where they tape her favorite soap.

Will I ever learn?

BTW - we wound up going to Seattle where I saw a few Mariners games while she visited antique shops. Actually, I wound up spending more money than she did due to the price of popcorn at Safeco Field.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Hey Chuck, sounds great & congratulations! Go & check out
Our Lady of Lourdes girls, they're a NY class B school
(A,B,C & D by size) that is ranked in the top 10 nationally
and they can flat out play. It seems that every year they
win NY B champs, and by at least 20 points through
sectionals & the tourney. Obviously do not miss the
St. Ray's game vs DeMatha. Maybe you should tape it &
post it here!

Anyway, here's a link to a story on the Lourdes game...

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/t...011802s2.shtml