Thread: Mark Cuban
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 09, 2002, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crew
when you make the statement that, "nba officials use the star system of officiating." this is a very strong statement. you are now stepping on the integrity of the hardest working officials in the world. the daily regiment of nba officials is very long-strenuous-and mentally difficult. these guys spend hours a day reviewing game tape watching web plays and taking tests on their website. they are even fined by the league office for missing a rule. do nba guys miss plays? certainly, for they are not perfect. i have had the plaesure of watching a post game tape with nba officials. most people would break down and cry to hear the things they say to themselves when they miss a play. they are very hard on themselves.

i believe that i have become a better official by watching numerous nba games as well as nc2a games. these guys are there for a reason-they are very good. and when you criticize them ask yourself 2 questions: why are they where they are? and, why am i where i am?

officiating is more than getting plays correct. it is game management, dealing with hostile coaches and players, and constant criticism from fans, coaches, players, and worst of all fellow officials.
Guys...I'm not saying that NBA officials are the dregs of the earth. I am saying the Cuban MAY have a point. If my boss wants something done a certian way, I'm gonna do it his way. I like my job, thank you very much.

I agree that everyone, especially me, can learn a lot just by watching them.

Crew,
Allow me to give you my answers to the two questions you asked?

1) Because they are excellent officials who want to be at that level. (But they are not perfect)

2) Because I just started and have no desire to ever call anything above HS varsity for 3 reasons. I enjoy the HS game and love working with "kids", I am already 44 and my job is not flexible enough to ever consider college or pro ball.

Doesn't mean I can't be an excellent official.

Let me ask you a question. Do you think they never give the benefit of the doubt to a star?

Is you answer yes, you don't think the "star system" exist. If you answer no, you just admitted it does at some level.

It may be because I'm new, but I saw a kid take his competition to school for 3 1/2 quarters the other night. Late in the 4th, it look like he traveled starting his move. I held the whistle because I thought I just didn't see it correctly. Is that a "star" getting the benefit of the doubt because he a taken this same defender about 15 times?