Thread: Mark Cuban
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Yes, the penalty has been assessed in the past. But the case you cite is one of the penalty fitting the crime - you got a player you should not hve signed, we will now deny you players you should be able to sign. Taking draft picks for ref criticism would be completely unprecedented,
Great point, Coach. I hadn't thought of it that way before. Makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
I think it would also be clear that the league was not trying to just punish, but to get rid of Cuban.
You really think so? To me, I would think that it's just trying to find something that he cares about to motivate him to change his behavior. Like a child who doesn't respond to "time-outs". He'll sit in time-out and play with his imaginary friend and then when the time-out is done, he goes right back and keeps doing what he just got punished for. So then you take away his TV for a week. You know what I'm trying to get at? It doesn't have to be malicious on Stern's part; just trying to find something to get Cuban to comply with league rules.

Think I'm too naive about it?

Chuck