Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Yes, the penalty has been assessed in the past. But the case you cite is one of the penalty fitting the crime - you got a player you should not hve signed, we will now deny you players you should be able to sign. Taking draft picks for ref criticism would be completely unprecedented,
Great point, Coach. I hadn't thought of it that way before. Makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
I think it would also be clear that the league was not trying to just punish, but to get rid of Cuban.
You really think so? To me, I would think that it's just trying to find something that he cares about to motivate him to change his behavior. Like a child who doesn't respond to "time-outs". He'll sit in time-out and play with his imaginary friend and then when the time-out is done, he goes right back and keeps doing what he just got punished for. So then you take away his TV for a week. You know what I'm trying to get at? It doesn't have to be malicious on Stern's part; just trying to find something to get Cuban to comply with league rules.

Think I'm too naive about it?

Chuck
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Gotta grant you that point Chuck. Just because Cuban said that penalty would force him out doesn't mean that it is the league's intent to get rid of him. But something in me thinks that the league would be just as happy to see him hit the road, regardless of whether or not they would take an action with that intent!
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Just my opinion, but in a way I think they have both (Cuban and Stern) let this get personal. From talking to many fans in the Dallas area and where business takes me (and like it or not, the fans are of VITAL importance to the league), the vast majority think Cuban has a point but needs to learn to communicate better and through proper channels. Putting aside the dicussion on whether Cuban has a point, most feel the league is scared to look at the numbers Cuban has hired people to compile or conduct their own study.

You may also be suprised to know that everyone (fan) I spoke with thinks the officials are calling and interpreting the way they have been instructed. In other words, they put the blame on the owners. Lastly, they think Stern needs to remember that Cuban is one of the people he works for.

Personal opinion, if "the league" would simply say; "Mark, shut up. We will look into what you are saying but your antics, while the may be helping get you team and DQ a lot of free press, are hurting the league." I think things would get better fast. I could be reading Cuban totally wrong, my feeling is that he just wants somebody to listen to what he has to say and acknowledge that if ANYONE thinks he is right, doesn't matter if he is, and things are getting worse then they need to look at why the fans feel that way and address it.

I would be shocked if they take away picks. But hey, I've been wrong before
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

I don't agree with his ref bashing, but you have to admit he has injected a lot of life into that franchise and the league itself. I think he has the model franchise (short of the lakers) now. Just think if Crybaby Snyder would run the skins liek Cuban does. They are basically the same type of owner - young, rich, and only bought the team becasuethey are a fan, yet Snbyder is driving the skins into the ground.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Last 3 posts, from Brian, Lary, and Hawks Coach, are all excellent. I'm think the league would be happy if Cuban were to take his ball and go home, but he really has done an amazing job with that club. And Larry's right that it's become way too personal for Stern and Cuban. Even at the DQ, Cuban was saying stuff about stern. "I haven't been yelled at all day, so David must not be here."

Time to be grown ups and figure out how to make this go away.

Chuck
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Just my opinion, but in a way I think they have both (Cuban and Stern) let this get personal. From talking to many fans in the Dallas area and where business takes me (and like it or not, the fans are of VITAL importance to the league), the vast majority think Cuban has a point but needs to learn to communicate better and through proper channels...
Ah yes, the fan opinions. Do you think the Dallas fans
would have the same opinion if Cuban owned, say, the
Knicks?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2002, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Just my opinion, but in a way I think they have both (Cuban and Stern) let this get personal. From talking to many fans in the Dallas area and where business takes me (and like it or not, the fans are of VITAL importance to the league), the vast majority think Cuban has a point but needs to learn to communicate better and through proper channels...
Ah yes, the fan opinions. Do you think the Dallas fans
would have the same opinion if Cuban owned, say, the
Knicks?
Honestly, yes I do. I think they would be more critical of his approach but would agree with the message. The game of basketball from NCAA DI down is, IMHO, for the players first. NBA basketball is fan entertainment first, business second, and a sporting event third. Many may not like it, but professional sports of any kind ceases to exist if the fans don't buy tickets, shirts, hats, sweaters, etc.