The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 08:22am
APG APG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,889
Question Block/Charge?

So I was looking around on youtube and I found an interesting clip.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D_bqm8bbFK8

What do you have on the call? My intial reaction was to say block, (since I had originally thought the defender got legal guarding position in the path of the ballhandler after he was airbone) but after looking at it a couple of times, it looked like the ballhandler was given space to land. Since he's a ballhandler, time and distance do not apply to the play and therefore player control.

What are y'alls thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 08:27am
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,097
I got a block.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 08:42am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer
So I was looking around on youtube and I found an interesting clip.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=D_bqm8bbFK8

What do you have on the call? My intial reaction was to say block, (since I had originally thought the defender got legal guarding position in the path of the ballhandler after he was airbone) but after looking at it a couple of times, it looked like the ballhandler was given space to land. Since he's a ballhandler, time and distance do not apply to the play and therefore player control.

What are y'alls thoughts?
Both feet were on the floor, the defender was facing the offensive player, the offensive player landed, he had the ball, time and distance aren't needed, ...
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 09:22am
Official & Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,379
Tough one. I hate these. In real time, I think I would have gone with the block as it appears the defender arrived late. I would have felt good about getting it right... In slowing it down and reviewing, it looks like defender had LGP and following the rule, should have been player control. Self-doubt can be the kiss of death in this line of work.
__________________
Calling it both ways...since 1999
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Tough one. I hate these. In real time, I think I would have gone with the block as it appears the defender arrived late. I would have felt good about getting it right... In slowing it down and reviewing, it looks like defender had LGP and following the rule, should have been player control. Self-doubt can be the kiss of death in this line of work.
I'm right there with you. At normal speed I was thinking "This one is easy. why is there a question?" Seeing again in slow motion..."Well, not so much."

Related question...Would it have been better if the calling official had quickly taken a few long strides toward the play? When everyone got around to looking at him he would have appeared to be "right on it".
__________________
I didn't say it was your fault...I said I was going to blame you.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Easy call.

Charge.

But's let's break this down...why did the L on the other side of the court take this call?

And am I the only one who can see the wheels spinning as he's walking to the table? Someone should have given him a coin to toss before reporting the foul.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 10:12am
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Easy call.

Charge.

But's let's break this down...why did the L on the other side of the court take this call?

And am I the only one who can see the wheels spinning as he's walking to the table? Someone should have given him a coin to toss before reporting the foul.
The reason the new L took the call is because in a 2-person system, he had the best angle. The new Trail has no chance of getting that call right from where's he must come from.

No doubt he was thinking about what he was going to call, and I think he reason correctly. Not being right on top of the play, they had to have something on this play. Calling it on the defense was the safe call to make.

Now, you go and call offense, next thing you know, you got guys running up underneath each other the rest of the game. I'm not trying to find the needle in the haystack. We're going to keep it simple. Also, the defender should have gone for the steal of the ball instead of trying to draw the tough call from the official. Odds or not in the players favor to get the correct call here, but the way the offensive player turned and stepped, chances where better of stealing the ball here.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 10:19am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
why did the L on the other side of the court take this call?
The out of shape T wasn't going to get a look at the play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
And am I the only one who can see the wheels spinning as he's walking to the table? Someone should have given him a coin to toss before reporting the foul.
I agree!, but I think he handled it well. It didn't look much like he didn't know what to call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Easy call. Charge.
I agree as well. But I don't question anyone who has a block. In real-time, it could look like a block, and I think many would call that. Just as long as they're consistent during the game.
__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 10:24am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Now, you go and call offense, next thing you know, you got guys running up underneath each other the rest of the game.
Whatinthehell are you talking about? There was no contact until after the player with the ball landed. There was nobody running up underneath anybody on this play. As usual, you don't understand the basic principles needed to make the correct call.

Obvious charge.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 10:50am.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 10:39am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,949
PC foul all the way.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 11:07am
Official & Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Now, you go and call offense, next thing you know, you got guys running up underneath each other the rest of the game. I'm not trying to find the needle in the haystack. We're going to keep it simple.
Let me understand your thinking here. You're going to base a call on how you THINK players will respond the rest of the game? Wouldn't it be safer to APPLY A RULE here? or at least try to reason through it based upon a rule or your interpretation of how the play relates to a rule? Isn't that kinda what officials do?

Are you really an official?
__________________
Calling it both ways...since 1999
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 11:27am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Let me understand your thinking here. You're going to base a call on how you THINK players will respond the rest of the game? Wouldn't it be safer to APPLY A RULE here? or at least try to reason through it based upon a rule or your interpretation of how the play relates to a rule?
You're trying to understand OS's thinking? Why would you want to?
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 11:30am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Let me understand your thinking here. You're going to base a call on how you THINK players will respond the rest of the game? Wouldn't it be safer to APPLY A RULE here? or at least try to reason through it based upon a rule or your interpretation of how the play relates to a rule? Isn't that kinda what officials do?

Are you really an official?
Amazing, isn't it? I can see any official maybe missing a bang-bang call like this in real time. What I can't see is anybody trying to justify whatever call they made by using the nonsense that OS comes up with.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 11:34am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
The reason the new L took the call is because in a 2-person system, he had the best angle.
Bullsh1t.

The T had the better angle. The L was ahead of the play and across the floor, not even with it and across the floor.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 07, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Bullsh1t.

The T had the better angle. The L was ahead of the play and across the floor, not even with it and across the floor.
I theroy you are correct. However, given how long it took the T to entire the picture while the L was reporting it is probably safe to assume he was out of position to make the call. He SHOULD have had a better angle...but likely didn't. Given how fast you heard the whistle, the L didn't give his partner a chance to make the call...so he can't argue that "someone had to get it." Both officials messed up.
__________________
I didn't say it was your fault...I said I was going to blame you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Block/Charge IREFU2 Basketball 28 Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:53pm
Block or Charge? tmp44 Basketball 13 Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:43am
Block or charge Rita C Basketball 16 Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:21pm
Block - Charge (consider this) footlocker Basketball 35 Thu Feb 12, 2004 03:10pm
Block/Charge drinkeii Basketball 16 Thu Dec 19, 2002 01:05am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1