The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Oooooooo.......

If anybody ever explains that one to Dan, you'll be in deep trouble, Mister.......
Are you saying things might get a little hairy around here?

Or not?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Same thing, actually: gray hair = old.

That's why Dan's always happy - he may never get old.
I don't get it.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I don't get it.
Clever response. And just to save you some trouble, I've already received the appropriate smilie.
Old Wed Jun 06, 2007, 06:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHSAref
WHat do you guys do to calm your nerves before a game?
Do I really need to answer this?
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

10 games on saturday and 8 on sunday. No major problems. I gave a few T's for swearing. Coaches we decent but as usual I had 3 or 4 that we complete jerks. Thanks for all of your help!! One thing is that me knees are so sore from running up and down the court. Is this because I am out of shape or because idid 18 games in 36 hours? What can I use to lower impact on my knees???

Thanks!
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 08:46am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Is this because I am out of shape or because idid 18 games in 36 hours?
The latter.

Quote:
What can I use to lower impact on my knees???
Cut back to no more than 6 games in 48 hours. 18 is just way too many, both physically and mentally. I know there's money in it, but I can't imagine it's good for you or your development as an official.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Get a rule book and a case book. Spend 5 min before your games reading them. Over time, you will learn alot.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

You did a season's worth of games in one weekend. Of course your knees hurt. That's like two marathons.

BTW, I find it interesting that AYBT hires an unproven official and has him work 18 games. Nothing against you, but if I were a coach considering which tournament to enter, that would be a major red flag.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

just because I am new and have only worked YMCA ball and a few local high school scrimiges makes me unproven? Only me, my partner and the league director knew I was a newer official, so it was not a big deal.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 12:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
just because I am new and have only worked YMCA ball and a few local high school scrimiges makes me unproven? Only me, my partner and the league director knew I was a newer official, so it was not a big deal.
If they have not seen you before, you are unproven in their mind. Also many people can tell if you have been at this awhile. Usually experienced officials have a certain presence about themselves and officials that seen you work can tell pretty quickly if you have been at this. It is really hard to explain, but if you do this for awhile you will see what I am talking about.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
just because I am new and have only worked YMCA ball and a few local high school scrimiges makes me unproven?
Quote:
This will also be my first "real" game.
Sorry, this is the phrase that led me to say "unproven". Maybe there's a better way of saying it, but that's what popped into my head as a non-derogatory way of saying rookie. No offense against you intended.

Just surprised that AYBT operates that way. I haven't run into any of their tournaments up my way. Most tournaments in the NYC area only hire people they've had the year before or Varsity officials they've seen during regular season games.

I hope you did well and hope whatever moments of nervousness you had were fleeting.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 04:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Sorry, this is the phrase that led me to say "unproven". Maybe there's a better way of saying it, but that's what popped into my head as a non-derogatory way of saying rookie. No offense against you intended.

Just surprised that AYBT operates that way. I haven't run into any of their tournaments up my way. Most tournaments in the NYC area only hire people they've had the year before or Varsity officials they've seen during regular season games.

I hope you did well and hope whatever moments of nervousness you had were fleeting.
AYBT is really the same as AAU but with a different name. The people that run the tournaments are usually coaches, officials or some guy that runs the tournament. They want to fill games, not hire the best officials available. Now they might have wishes to work the best officials around, but it is not like everyone is around to work the games if you want them to. Also this is summer basketball, one of the last things people worry about are the officials. You should know that already.

Peace