The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Nerves Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/35403-nerves-question.html)

IHSAref Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:32pm

Nerves Question

WHat do you guys do to calm your nerves before a game? I am doing my first AYBT tounament this weekend and already find myself a little nervous. This will also be my first "real" game. I have done a lot of scrimiges and YMCA ball but nothing like this. Any other advise would be helpful! Thanks a lot!

rainmaker Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHSAref
WHat do you guys do to calm your nerves before a game? I am doing my first AYBT tounament this weekend and already find myself a little nervous. This will also be my first "real" game. I have done a lot of scrimiges and YMCA ball but nothing like this. Any other advise would be helpful! Thanks a lot!

Warm up your mind, warm up your body, warm up your attitude.

A little pre-game chat with your partner, some stretching, the pre-game things that need doing like checking to be sure the table people have a clue, that the ball is in good shape, that there's no jewelry or casts or splints, other pre-game things like that.

DEvelop your pregame ritual over time, and then stick to it. It helps a lot.

Mark Dexter Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:00pm

As Juulie said - pregame. Then pregame some more. (And not the kind involving a six-pack!)

If you're comfortable with it, mental rehearsal might help. Visualize yourself going out there, making a few calls, getting things right. Ignore the visions of your pants splitting in front of the cheerleaders. :p

Since it's your first "real" game, try to settle into a comfortable rhythm early. Don't be afraid to call the first foul/violation that you do see. At the same time, don't get nervous if you go a few minutes without calling anything - it simply might not be there!

I haven't done it in a while, but I found that listening to some nice calming music before a game can help, too. Just don't stick in your iPod while your partner is talking during the pregame! :D

Best of luck and let us know how it went.

rainmaker Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Best of luck and let us know how it went.

I forgot this part, and it's the most important part of all. Don't think about us too much during the game, but do remember that we've all been there, and we're all behind you 100%. You'll find that helpful and encouraging as long as you don't let yourself think about those of us you don't like (not making any suggestions who that might be...).

You're joinging a motley crew, and although you probably won't be as good as the best of us was, you almost certainly can't be as bad as the worst of us!

And as Mark says, be sure and let us know how it goes!

JRutledge Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:30pm

Other than getting to the game on time I honestly do absolutely nothing special. At this point I just try to get to games an hour early for a real game and during the summer maybe a half hour. I watch games in front of me if there are any and just relax so I do not feel rushed. During the real season I will have an extensive pre-game and stretch, but that is so routine it is nothing special. Summer ball has even less preparation and hardly a pre-game at all because the goal is a lot different. We are not using real mechanics and we are not applying real rules. We are just trying to keep the game going and not have a major incident.

I have also worked AYBT in the past. These are by far not "real games." These games are worked by officials that range from the guys that are working for the money only, to the newer official like yourself and the official that is. So from an official's standpoint these games are going to be rather laid back and you will not be working regular mechanics or applying all the regular rules. You likely will be working in a place where courts are right next to each other and games will be designed to move. I would just tell you to not get so excited over these games as if you will have a similar experience when the season starts in the fall and in the winter. The only thing that will be similar to the real season is the fact the kids will be playing basketball, but most of the rules and even situations will be very different.

Peace

btaylor64 Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:05am

Well since I had no idea what kind of ball it was before JRut spoke about it, I will add this and it is especially important for upcoming officials to remember:

Don't overanalyze things (i.e. contact plays). When you overanalyze you tend to forget the obvious.

Good luck and have fun.

zebraman Wed Jun 06, 2007 01:36am

As my high school coach used to say, "if you aren't nervous, you aren't ready." Once you go up and down a couple times, you'll settle into a comfort zone.

ChrisSportsFan Wed Jun 06, 2007 07:05am

Since there will probably be other games going on beside you, make sure you hit your whistle loud. Your the only one there who knows this is your first game of that type so doing worry about it. Sssllllloooowwwww down.

Scrapper1 Wed Jun 06, 2007 07:27am

It's been almost 15 years since my first game. (That's so depressing.) But I have done a "first game" at a couple of different levels, moving from sub-varsity to varsity to college ball. Each level brings new butterflies, that's for sure.

At this point, the thing that helps the most for me is arriving at the game site EARLY. This gives me the chance to do several things. I can read my case book or talk to my partner(s) to put me in a basketball frame of mind. If my partners aren't there yet, I can close my eyes and just try to rest a bit (this is nice in the middle of those 10-games-in-11-nights stretches). If there's a JV or women's game before mine, I can watch that game. (That doesn't always help with the basketball frame of mind, though. :) ) Or I can listen to a recorded pre-game that I have; which I usually listen to in the car on the way to the game.

The worst thing in the world for me is to be late to the game site. I am rushed; I'm worried about getting there; I don't have the chance to think about the upcoming game.

Best of luck!

Jurassic Referee Wed Jun 06, 2007 08:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
It's been almost 15 years since my first game. (That's so depressing.)

Why is that depressing?:confused:

Mourning your lost youth, Skippy?

Scrapper1 Wed Jun 06, 2007 08:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Mourning your lost youth, Skippy?

Nope. Mourning the arrival of all this gray hair.

M&M Guy Wed Jun 06, 2007 08:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Nope. Mourning the arrival of all this gray hair.

Same thing, actually: gray hair = old.

That's why Dan's always happy - he may never get old.

Mark Dexter Wed Jun 06, 2007 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
but do remember that we've all been there, and we're all behind you 100%.

DO be careful if M&M is behind you during a summer camp, though! :eek:

Quote:

you almost certainly can't be as bad as the worst of us!
I won't name names . . .

Jurassic Referee Wed Jun 06, 2007 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Same thing, actually: gray hair = old.

That's why Dan's always happy - he may never get old.

Oooooooo.......

If anybody ever explains that one to Dan, you'll be in deep trouble, Mister.......

M&M Guy Wed Jun 06, 2007 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
DO be careful if M&M is behind you during a summer camp, though! :eek:

Hey!

I would've replied sooner, but I'm trying to work out this stiffness.