The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 12:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
From Nevaderef: "The NFHS just posted these (2007-08) mechanics changes"

Nevaderef: Thanks for the information. I can't find these posted on the NFHS web site. What's your source? Thanks.
They just added it onto the end of the existing "rules changes" page on the NFHS web site.
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 12:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Poli
For those that are IAABO, The mechanic changes have not been adopted by IAABO...yet.
One of the changes actually goes back to the way IAABO is still (already?) doing it. I really like that particular change, too.
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 01:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
While I may set the ball down on the end line or the opposite sideline, I'll never set it by the bench. If that's where the ball is coming back in, I'll usually back off to about the lane line extended perpendicular to the spot. I have the ball with me.
That said, I think I'll pay more attention to how others are doing this around here. It may be frowned upon here, I just haven't seen it.

And if the coach wants to know where the ball is going to be put in play, he'll ask. Funny thing about that, they will even ask if one of us is standing at the spot with the ball.
This is why I said "I" am not going to use it. What others do is fine with me. I just think for the HS level it could cause more problems than we really need. Then again this mechanic might not be advocated by our state and it does say "may" after all.

Peace
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JohnBark
Cool hmmm...

don't like the first change at all

and where are you going to stand if when the timeout is called and the ball is in front of the bench? i guess you become part of that team's huddle right? that will be fun if the coach is upset with you. and then what happens if the other team's coach has a question and you set the ball down and the other team breaks their huddle the kicks the ball acrossed the court? not to mention the cheerleaders mentioned in a previous post.

Last edited by JohnBark; Sat May 19, 2007 at 05:08pm.
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBark
and where are you going to stand if when the timeout is called and the ball is in front of the bench? i guess you become part of that team's huddle right?
Back up onto the court a few steps - no need to overthink the situation.
Old Sat May 19, 2007, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Back up onto the court a few steps - no need to overthink the situation.
i know...but, then you aren't doing what the NFHS is asking you to do...LOL

overthinking the situation, who? me? hah...just having some fun...it's the off season!
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 07:28pm
Huck Finn

Can someone give some rationale for not liking, or caring about, the first mechanic change?
This has been a mechanic in college ball for a while and who cares! If the R wants to toss he/she will toss, if they don't they won't. If we (all) take pride in our toss, all officials will be prepared.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Can someone give some rationale for not liking, or caring about, the first mechanic change?
This has been a mechanic in college ball for a while and who cares! If the R wants to toss he/she will toss, if they don't they won't. If we (all) take pride in our toss, all officials will be prepared.
tomegun, i asked that of the veteran guys that have asked me to work with them this past year...every time they ask me to work with them last season, i tossed...finally i asked and the only thing i could come up with is they don't like giving the pre-game speak and risking looking bad with a poor toss...personally, i don't mind doing the pre-game speech or tossing...i've been luckily in my short career of officiating of NOT having one blown dead for a retoss...i have blown 2 dead in the same game for a NOT SO VERTICAL toss...i was laughing so hard because the 1st one was tossed to the visitor's side of the court and then my partner over corrected and tossed it to the home's side of the court before getting it straight...that being said, I would say they just don't want to look bad for a poor toss or give a bad pre-game speech...just my 2 cents...!
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Rut: I'm not doing this, and I'm going to tell my chapter people that from a liability standpoint, we'd be better off not doing it as a whole. I like the other changes, though.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I agree with Rut: I'm not doing this, and I'm going to tell my chapter people that from a liability standpoint, we'd be better off not doing it as a whole. I like the other changes, though.
Just wondering - what part of the mechanic do you see as a liability issue?
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

You put the ball down, not realizing the cheerleaders are behind you, and they, not realizing the ball is down and walking backwards, stumble over the ball. In my opinion, there are very few things that we can do on the basketball court that could constitute negligence. This, unfortunately, is one of them.

The basketball on the ground really isn't in its natural position. In football, it is. Further, you don't have cheerleaders legally on the field in football. I'm not saying this is a dead ringer of a lawsuit against you; I'm just saying its one area that I'm not going to take the chance on and I'm going to strongly recommend my chapter not do it as well.
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 10:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Just wondering - what part of the mechanic do you see as a liability issue?
I cannot speak for TA, but I will speak for what I believe it is. If you set the ball down and some unsuspecting cheerleader starts flipping, they might trip over the ball and get hurt. Now I have been a person that has been nearly ran into by a cheerleader during timeouts when they were not supposed to be on the court. And when timeouts occur sometimes I have had to stop cheerleaders from coming onto the court just during 30 second when players were on the court. So I can only imagine how dumb these girls (and the usual guy) will be when you put a ball on the court. They are so eager to jump and do flips they do not look where they are going. I can only wait to see how many cheerleaders will damn near kill themselves when they do not notice the ball sitting on the court. Now I am not talking about college cheerleaders that in many cases only come onto the court during choreographed segments, I am talking about HS cheerleaders that their coach is a parent that tries to wear cloths someone 15 years their junior tries to wear. If these cheerleaders are not smart enough to get out of the way when someone 250 pounds is running in their direction and not looking at them, what makes you think they will pay attention with a ball on the floor?

Did I mention I cannot stand cheerleaders?

Peace
Old Sun May 20, 2007, 10:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'm just saying its one area that I'm not going to take the chance on and I'm going to strongly recommend my chapter not do it as well.
Honestly, I do not think this is something any organization will make you do. I doubt anyone even makes an issue out of it. I just think the fact that the NF would even entertain this is silly for the reasons you and I have stated. I do not care what any organization says, I am not doing this. I can stand in the same area with the ball in my arms.

Peace
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You put the ball down, not realizing the cheerleaders are behind you, and they, not realizing the ball is down and walking backwards, stumble over the ball.
And how would this be a bad thing?

I see your point otherwise. I don't necessarily agree that you would be found liable after a trial, but you certainly could be named in a suit.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 07:55am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Did I mention I cannot stand cheerleaders?

Peace
Really? Some of my favorite girlfriends in high school were cheerleaders!