The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2007-08 Major Mechanics Changes (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/34770-2007-08-major-mechanics-changes.html)

Nevadaref Fri May 18, 2007 05:09pm

2007-08 Major Mechanics Changes

The NFHS just posted these mechanics changes. What do people think of them?
The first one matches the NCAA rule. The second reverts back to the way it used to be done by the NFHS and has always been done by IAABO, since that group never changed. The final one goes against previous advice of not leaving the ball on the floor unattended.

2007-08 MAJOR MECHANICS CHANGES

211; 321: The referee may designate the official to administer the jump ball to start the game or overtime.

273; 275; Diagram 29: Crew of Two Only: Change the time-out and intermission positions so that the administering official will stand where play will be resumed and the non-administering official will stand, facing the table, on the division line (on the circle nearest the table for a 30-second time-out or intermission).

273; 378: During a time-out or intermission, the administering official may set the ball down on the floor where play will be resumed if movement is necessary away from the spot to communicate with the table/partner(s).

JRutledge Fri May 18, 2007 05:30pm

I do not like the last one basically because HS cheerleaders are not smart enough to look at the ball on the floor.

Peace

eyezen Fri May 18, 2007 05:52pm

My take...

First one:

In reality it shouldn't matter because all three should be able to toss a ball striaght up the air between two dudes (or dudettes).

It could add a tad of confusion to a noob who's looking at some pregame material where it's specifically laid out where who stands where.

My association assigns the R,U1,U2 positions, but when working out of assoc. games it's usually one of two scenarios: Whoever can say "Hey you want to toss?" first or it's RPS on the way out to the floor.

It's my understanding that in college it's always assigned and the R take a higher proflile role on the crew.

Second one:

Again I don't care so long as it doesn't change again next year. ;-)

Why you ask?

Because for instance my association is an iaabo board, but during our mechanics session, it was demonstrated that we were to use the NFHS mechanic (block,key) on two man time outs. OK thats they way we're going to do it.

Well myself only been around long enough to know the "new" (old?) way I never was ingrained with the "old" (new?) way. Whenever I'd get with a vet I would pregame which way he'd want to go...9 out of 10 "yea yea lets do it the right way and do the "new" (old?) way.

OK we're doing it the "new" (old?) way tonight.

And what would you know 50% of the time he'd do it the "old" (new?) way anyways out of habit.

It didn't matter I'd just fill in either way.

I will say as far as which way is better...I'd say the "old" (new?) is slightly better as having the ball at the throw in spot has definite merit.

Guys should be smart enough (or not see above :-) to be able to adjust between the two mechanics depending on working two or three men, which I'm sure was the original reasoning behind the switch in the first place, to try to keep it consistent between the two.

Heck I confused myself just typing this reply...I can imagine what our meeting is going to be like :-0

truerookie Fri May 18, 2007 07:39pm

I like the new mechanic changes.;)

bob jenkins Fri May 18, 2007 08:24pm

I support the latter two changes and disagree with the first.

Scrapper1 Fri May 18, 2007 08:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not like the last one basically because HS cheerleaders are not smart enough to look at the ball on the floor.

Absolutely agree. Or you'll get some smart-aleck who tries to hide the ball or knocks it under the bleachers.

The time-out mechanic is also absolutely the right way to do it for a "crew of two". If we want to be communicators, that is surely the way to accomplish that during the time-out.

Camron Rust Fri May 18, 2007 08:29pm

All good!

I'm very glad they reverted to the administering official going to the throwin spot (or FT line if it's a FT) and the other going to the division line. It makes SO much more sense than what we've had the last 2-3 years.

Sitting the ball down...fine...but that could open things up for pranks. Colleges and NBA have security to deal with such problems. Most HS's don't (or don't have enough to be of any immediate use or deterent).

TRef21 Fri May 18, 2007 11:22pm

Remember guys these are guidelines.... we must use common sense. If you need to set the ball down and see some problem may occur pick it up, get out of the way and resume play when intermission activity is over... Let play or what ever action that occurs duing the intermission dictate what you need to do.

JRutledge Fri May 18, 2007 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRef21
Remember guys these are guidelines.... we must use common sense. If you need to set the ball down and see some problem may occur pick it up, get out of the way and resume play when intermission activity is over... Let play or what ever action that occurs duing the intermission dictate what you need to do.

Common sense or not, I am not putting the ball down. I think this is a silly mechanic and unnecessary. Just hold on the ball as usual. I do not need to put the ball down in the exact spot to let others know where the ball it. Also unless you are talking with your partners I do not see the need for this mechanic.

Peace

Adam Sat May 19, 2007 09:24am

Remember, it says "may" place the ball down. I've done it occasionally to go talk to my partner(s) and never had a problem. Nothing says you can't just take it with you, though.

truerookie Sat May 19, 2007 09:44am

[QUOTE=JRutledge]Common sense or not, I am not putting the ball down. I think this is a silly mechanic and unnecessary. Just hold on the ball as usual. I do not need to put the ball down in the exact spot to let others know where the ball it. Also unless you are talking with your partners I do not see the need for this mechanic.

Peace[/QUOTE

DISCLAIMER: I am not taking a shot at JRutledge. I'm just making a point about communication. JRutledge, just like you view this mechanic being unnecessary. It's all about communication right? Just like spreading your arms when the defender is not within 6'.

JRutledge Sat May 19, 2007 09:48am

What were you doing before? You were not standing where the ball was going to be put out? I know I stood where the ball was going to be put out. I do not need to put the ball right in front of the bench (where it might not be seen) to communicate where the ball is going to be put back into play. And considering that you will have cheerleaders flipping around and players running onto the floor, I do not feel comfortable putting the ball in a place where someone has the chance to trip over the ball during or after a timeout.

Peace

Adam Sat May 19, 2007 10:24am

While I may set the ball down on the end line or the opposite sideline, I'll never set it by the bench. If that's where the ball is coming back in, I'll usually back off to about the lane line extended perpendicular to the spot. I have the ball with me.
That said, I think I'll pay more attention to how others are doing this around here. It may be frowned upon here, I just haven't seen it.

And if the coach wants to know where the ball is going to be put in play, he'll ask. Funny thing about that, they will even ask if one of us is standing at the spot with the ball.

BillyMac Sat May 19, 2007 10:43am

Nfhs ???

From Nevaderef: "The NFHS just posted these (2007-08) mechanics changes"

Nevaderef: Thanks for the information. I can't find these posted on the NFHS web site. What's your source? Thanks.

Joel Poli Sat May 19, 2007 11:06am

For those that are IAABO, The mechanic changes have not been adopted by IAABO...yet.