The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
...and I'm not talking tires, here.

32-2 at the quarter. 63-5 at half. 85 -5 end of third. 116-9 at the end. Losing coach had the choice to do running clock second half. chose not to. Sheez, it got a little boring.

Padgett, take a wild guess who my partner was?!?! Beginning of the third quarter, white (miles ahead) steals the ball on the inbound, scores, red inbounds, gets to half court, white steals, scores, red inbounds, gets down into their key, white steals, fast break, white shoots and misses, red rebounds, Partner calls white time out. I didn't bother to say anything. But I knew Padgett would want to hear about it!
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

I had a game two weekends ago that started out 50-0, was 54-4 at the half, went to 98-4 (at which time my partner called a T against a player from the team with 4), and finished 106-21.
This was a BOYS game! I'd never seen anything like it.
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

32-2 at the quarter. 63-5 at half. 85 -5 end of third. 116-9 at the end. Losing coach had the choice to do running clock second half. chose not to. Sheez, it got a little boring.

Padgett, take a wild guess who my partner was?!?! Beginning of the third quarter, white (miles ahead) steals the ball on the inbound, scores, red inbounds, gets to half court, white steals, scores, red inbounds, gets down into their key, white steals, fast break, white shoots and misses, red rebounds, Partner calls white time out. I didn't bother to say anything. But I knew Padgett would want to hear about it!
Juulie, if this was a close score late in the game, I'm sure you would have heard some complaints from the Red coach. Not to mention other officials or supervisor in the stands. Then your partner and you (remember you are a team)don't look good.
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:

Juulie, if this was a close score late in the game, I'm sure you would have heard some complaints from the Red coach. Not to mention other officials or supervisor in the stands. Then your partner and you (remember you are a team)don't look good.
In a major blow-out situation like this, I tend to loose focus, and I'm sure if a time-out was called, i'd grant it no matter what. People make mistakes, a supervisor realizes that. And any supervisor or official who is publicly(sp?) complaining about the officiating at any game should not be supervising. Things are talked over with the officials after the game, not shouted at them during the game.
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Quote:
Quote:

In a major blow-out situation like this, I tend to loose focus, and I'm sure if a time-out was called, i'd grant it no matter what. People make mistakes, a supervisor realizes that. And any supervisor or official who is publicly(sp?) complaining about the officiating at any game should not be supervising. Things are talked over with the officials after the game, not shouted at them during the game.
ref18 -- you're right, of course. But who was talking about a supervisor shouting at an official? I think Traveller meant that the supervisor would point it out later, and quietly.
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 01:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
In a major blow-out situation like this, I tend to loose focus, and I'm sure if a time-out was called, i'd grant it no matter what. People make mistakes, a supervisor realizes that.
[/B][/QUOTE]That's a mistake that your supervisor would expect you to make ONCE though. Not once/game either.
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I had a game two weekends ago that started out 50-0, was 54-4 at the half, went to 98-4 (at which time my partner called a T against a player from the team with 4), and finished 106-21.
Just curious...Nevadaref, what was the T for?

I gotta tell ya...around here, there is an unwritten rule.
If a team is getting blown out, i.e. 98-4, the team whith 4 can do no wrong.
Of course we would not allow unsporting behavior...and, short of picking the ball up and running down the court, there wouldn't be to many close calls go against the very out matched team.
And you coaches that want to press with a 94 point lead...I tend to see a lot of contact on the steals.
Richland, WA
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:

Of course we would not allow unsporting behavior...and, short of picking the ball up and running down the court, there wouldn't be to many close calls go against the very out matched team.
And you coaches that want to press with a 94 point lead...I tend to see a lot of contact on the steals.
Never referee the score, always referee the game. I've ejected a coach when his team was down by 30-40 pts. He expected us to give his team a break because they were loosing, but his team was hacking away at the other team. The score shouldn't influence your calls.

And in relation to my last post, i misunderstood the earlier posts. I thought the supervisor was shouting at the officials.
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 02:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:

Padgett, take a wild guess who my partner was?!?!
Why do you think he's called "ABC"?

BTW - I ran into a long-time TBA coach at the store today. He practically begged me to come back next year. He said that out of all the refs in that rec league, I was far and away the only one who truly understood the purpose of a rec league and "handled" coaches, parents and players properly so that they would also understand. I thought this was kind of funny since he has been one of the biggest pains over the past 5 or 6 years.

Actually, I might "un-retire" if I get to totally pick my games and partners, and "ABC" is completely off the scene. Oh yeah - I'd want a big raise and complementary massages, too.
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ref18 -- you're right, of course. But who was talking about a supervisor shouting at an official? I think Traveller meant that the supervisor would point it out later, and quietly.
Ref18 - Please have some faith in me! Juulie, thanks. You know after I posted that and read it I thought "geez, I hope nobody thinks I meant supervisor and officials getting on the refs during the game".

__________________________________________________ _______
"If you're being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it look like a parade."—Anonymous
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Actually, I might "un-retire" if I get to totally pick my games and partners, and "ABC" is completely off the scene. Oh yeah - I'd want a big raise and complementary massages, too.
That's almost worth being on the board for. I'd gladly vote to triple your assigner's fee. I won't do massage, though. Someone else will have to "handle" that!
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ref18 - Please have some faith in me! Juulie, thanks. You know after I posted that and read it I thought "geez, I hope nobody thinks I meant supervisor and officials getting on the refs during the game".

__________________________________________________ _______
Sorry, but I have a knack for finding the negative in everything
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

Never referee the score, always referee the game.
?
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Never referee the score, always referee the game. I've ejected a coach when his team was down by 30-40 pts. He expected us to give his team a break because they were loosing, but his team was hacking away at the other team. The score shouldn't influence your calls.

And in relation to my last post, i misunderstood the earlier posts. I thought the supervisor was shouting at the officials.
ref18...if your philosophy and game mangement include calling a game that is tight the same way you would call a game with a 94pt blow-out...then have at it. No wonder you had to eject the Coach...he was probably steaming because you called that "little" hack, or that 3 seconds in the key call, or maybe you got to 6 on a closely guarded play, or maybe the team losing by 40 freaking points had a guard slide his foot a little on a slippery floor.
While my handle here is "RookieDude" (kind of a joke when I first started here)...I have officiated Basketball for over 15 years, been to numerous district and regional tournaments and been selected to officiate 3 State Tournaments. (Actually did 2 with varying degrees of success) Last year I had the number 1 rating by the Coaches that we serve in our association...Was rated number 4 out of 80 officials by my peers, for an overall rating of 2 (3 of us tied for 2nd) in my association. [Tri-Cities Boys Officials Association, in Washington State]
Forgive me for giving a resume...but, when someone (with probably much less experience) tells me how to officiate a game, or how to manage a game it kinda rubs me wrong.
I will be the first to admit that I do not have the rule book memorized...and there are many very sharp and knowledgeable officials concerning rules on this forum...but, when you start telling a Veteran official what kind of philosophy to have WATCH OUT!
i.e. Would you tell Dave Libby (NCAA Final Four Official) that a foul in the first quarter is a foul in the 4th quarter?
Maybe you would...and that's fine...but he would tell you different. (And he stated just that at a clinic I attended years ago...he said have the courage NOT to call it)
Here's a news flash ref18...not all officials officiate the same...we have different styles...we have different ways of handling situations, depending on our personalities.
Watch Veterans...pick out what you like...toss what you don't! Come up with your own style, and maybe just maybe it will be one that works for you while giving the kids a well managed game.
Whew! There will be some here that agree with me...and some here that do not. That's fine...like I said...we all have our own philosophies, and it's fun to read the different points of view.
Sorry for coming off as a "Big Timer"...but maybe when you say "NEVER" do something...qualify it with IMO.

Richland, WA
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 09:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
I have officiated Basketball for over 15 years, been to numerous district and regional tournaments and been selected to officiate 3 State Tournaments. (Actually did 2 with varying degrees of success) Last year I had the number 1 rating by the Coaches that we serve in our association...Was rated number 4 out of 80 officials by my peers, for an overall rating of 2 (3 of us tied for 2nd) in my association. [Tri-Cities Boys Officials Association, in Washington State]

[/B][/QUOTE]Can you cook?