The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 25, 2000, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jw8610
Question

I was watching a playoff game and I noticed that the homeplate umpire was wearing a white jersey. What was the significance to this shirt? The crew chief was the only one wearing the white, the rest were wearing the blue or black whatever they are wearing now. Are they wearing black now, they don't look like the blue's.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2000, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

What you saw was the new uniform for MLB umpires. It consists of a black or off-white shirt and sage grey trousers.....black hats and black pullover jackets.....the combination you saw was probably the home plate Umpire with the off-white plate shirt and the base umpires all with the black pullover on top of the off-white shirt. I have not heard that this is the permanent uniform or just an alternate, but having not seen a blue shirt since the introduction, I sadly think this is it...............
Old Thu Oct 26, 2000, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jw8610
Talking MLB Uniforms

Thanks for the info, my association uses the dark blue like the ones that the MLB wore in the begining. Our guys like these shirts much better than the old button up powder blue shirts. The new ones look much more professional. I did not like the off white one that i saw the crew chief wearing in the MLB. I just didn't like the looks of it, as that was the first time that i have seen it. Well, again thanks for the info.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2000, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Question

The shiney, shirts look more professional? How so? I'd be willing to be that when your association adopted open collared blue shirts that you thought that looked "more professional". How about when grey pants were adopted, did that look more professional?

I've found that most guys don't like the button fronted shirts because they needed to be ironed and they were either too lazy to iron them or too cheap to send them to the laundry.

Old Wed Nov 08, 2000, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I must be the only one left in America!! But I still like my
light blue shirts and still wear them when I work alone. Nothing looks better than a CRISP and nicely pressed shirt!!!