Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 12:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
1) Do you have anything to add or do you just always like to shoot the messenger.

2) If I am understanding you correctly, once you reach a certain age or point in your career, you should never ask for advise? Am I understanding you correctly?
1) Translation: No, I do not and never have owned a rule book. And what is this "case book" thingy that I keep hearing so much about?

2) No, Nevada is saying that once you reach a certain age, you should retire. In your particular case, that age was whatever you were yesterday.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 12:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I don't like it, and i"ll work against it in whatever avenue I can, but I sure can't just arbitrarily decide that my stripes make me the final word on what's going to happen or not happen on the basketball floor.
Actually, I disagree respectfully again. On my court, and I have said this before. We are all going to respect one another or there's not going to be a game. We (officials) bring the intergrity to the floor and at the youth level, there will be respect for everyone that is there, or I will have people removed. Fans will respect fans, players will respect one another, coaches will respect the officials, and so on. I have the authority to ensure that this happens and in the event that it doesn't. I would like to feel I am within my rights to do something about it. If we are outside the scope of the rulebook, which I kind of think we are here. Then you do what you believe to be right or you turn your head and ignore it forever.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 12:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
It's not inquiring about those questions that draws my ire, but the two which I quoted in post #22. Those are basic things that you should know in order to be a competent official.
What I was getting at there Nevadaref, and you may disagree, is that this matter was not a game situation problem but more of a out of control fan problem except now with the player coach. IOW's, since it is not game related but a problem nonetheless. I could remove these 2 participants as though they where fans. In which event, since it is not college, I would not access a technical. Treating it this way would save face for the coach but he would still get written up. I don't know if this has ever been thought of or done. That was the basis of my question. I get the fact that I could access a unsportsmanlike TF to the coach for his behavior here, but is the thinking that far out of the relm of possibly considering the incident is not game related. Food for thought, has a coach ever been removed and not been given a technical?
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Why worry about something that has nothing to do with your part of the game? Why worry about the poor kid being "abused"? It sounds to me like he wasn't being abused, he was being benched, which happens on occasion in the game of basketball. Maybe the kid needed to have his butt chewed. It sounds suspiciously as though the player didn't understand his role. The coach decides who is going to be on the floor. The player plays. On the other hand, maybe the coach was a jerk. He can be a jerk all he wants to his players. If it's that bad maybe mom and dad need to get the kid on a different team or find a new coach. It isn't my business as an official until it is directed at me or my partners. If you're that worried about how a player feels...go coach and do it better than the one you talked about in the OP.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:17pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Why worry about something that has nothing to do with your part of the game? Why worry about the poor kid being "abused"?
I found Old School's scenario interesting. I think it's good food for thought.

And now that I thunk it and wrote about it, if in the realm of Third World plays it happens, I think I am at least a 1/2-step closer to dealing with it.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I found Old School's scenario interesting. I think it's good food for thought.

And now that I thunk it and wrote about it, if in the realm of Third World plays it happens, I think I am at least a 1/2-step closer to dealing with it.
A 1/2-step which way?

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 03:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

We are in big trouble!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Why worry about something that has nothing to do with your part of the game? Why worry about the poor kid being "abused"? It sounds to me like he wasn't being abused, he was being benched, which happens on occasion in the game of basketball. Maybe the kid needed to have his butt chewed.
The problem is everything is not abuse. If you get in someone's face you are being abusive. If you tell someone how you feel, it is abusive. If you use one foul word, it is abusive.

There are several generations that were literally knocked up side the head and they did not go around and shoot up a school.

If anything this just shows the fundamental problem in our society. Parents and adults would rather be friends with children than being the bad guy or gal and disciplining children. If that means you have to raise your voice then do so. My God Alec Baldwin is being roasted for getting upset with his child, who he takes care of BTW. I wish that was the only thing my parents said to me when they got angry and I did a lot less.

I know most will not agree with me, but I could never imagine myself even getting upset over this confrontation. It sounded like a little spoiled brat not being able to play a game and someone not putting up with his crap. We really need to stop treating kids today as if they are so innocent. There are kids his age that have committed capital crimes and we are afraid to hurt their feelings during an extra-curricular activity?

Peace
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 03:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Rut, why are you attributing that post to me?
Sorry I erased the wrong quote tag.

Peace
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 03:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I know most will not agree with me, but I could never imagine myself even getting upset over this confrontation. It sounded like a little spoiled brat not being able to play a game and someone not putting up with his crap. We really need to stop treating kids today as if they are so innocent. There are kids his age that have committed capital crimes and we are afraid to hurt their feelings during an extra-curricular activity?
I don't think I've ever agreed with you more, Jeff. Well put.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 03:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
It sounded like a little spoiled brat not being able to play a game and someone not putting up with his crap.
Interesting, Rut.
I got locked in on the Coach who sounded like a spoiled brat, although, a hunert years ago, when my coach yelled or hit us with a clipboard, I don't remember "yelling back" as even being an option.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Rut,

I may not agree with the teams you root for, but I agree with what you said.

You may be older than you let on...

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 03:28pm
Ch1town

Quote:
There are several generations that were literally knocked up side the head and they did not go around and shoot up a school.

If anything this just shows the fundamental problem in our society. Parents and adults would rather be friends with children than being the bad guy or gal and disciplining children.

I know most will not agree with me, but I could never imagine myself even getting upset over this confrontation. It sounded like a little spoiled brat not being able to play a game and someone not putting up with his crap.
I don't know if this problem relates to babies having babies, today's choice of drug(s), the video games or the liberalist. But this generation sure as hell aren't built like we were! I'm a 70s baby & sure there were problem children back then too, but we weren't as horrid as today's generation... were we
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 03:29pm
Ch1town

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I don't think I've ever agreed with you more, Jeff. Well put.
Uhh yeah what that guy said!
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 03:38pm
Esteemed Participant

In the original situation, why not just hit the whistle, turn toward the bench and loudly say "Is there a problem here?" at which point player and coach would both have sheepishly sat down and stfu...if they didn't, then move on to whacking and tossing...it ain't rocket science.
Old Tue May 08, 2007, 03:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
In the original situation, why not just hit the whistle, turn toward the bench and loudly say "Is there a problem here?" at which point player and coach would both have sheepishly sat down and stfu...if they didn't, then move on to whacking and tossing...it ain't rocket science.
See? Like I said. Good post.
If it happens yer ready.
Closed Thread